- The Fake-Cree LED Awareness Thread - The new "low" in Budget lights.

See my enlightening review on a 4X SRK clone I bought from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Securitylng-SF55-Waterproof-Flashlight-Included/product-reviews

Just wish I could bring myself to tell it like it is...

Those positive reviews are mostly the innocent unknowing regular folks, of course. Wow! 1,500 lumens is really bright! Yes, it is bright, but it's not 2,400 lumens, and actually should be 2,400 for 4X CREE LED's decently driven, like the original 3X SRK's.

From Gearbest? Now just team up so do not say ” you cheated me” but “sorry you are cheated by supplier” and you’ll have store credit in no time.

I don’t see a problem with LB existing, just with suppliers that lie to vendors they put cree in.

My eBay srk quad that arrived today also has LB
So for another project I am working on I need to know the dispute system of eBay thus yay!
It has a very nice warm tint though. I might just use it as the Q8 Narsil tester!

Has anyone put together a list of the manufacturers known to use falsely branded emitters? I’m just not as savvy as most of you folks at picking these out, so it would be a great if there were a compilation of brands one might want to avoid. Maybe it’s already posted and I missed it?

You all are my “lights in shining armor” when it comes to this stuff! :+1:

Thanks @Tom E !

And DBSAR you are most competent for this :slight_smile:

CREE XP-L HI v2 ?

ZOOM : http://i.imgur.com/mRfEujq.jpg

ZOOM : http://i.imgur.com/uO5hEFM.jpg

Also this one that is claimed to be CREE XM-L2 U2 ?

ZOOM : http://i.imgur.com/jh1DEyV.jpg

ZOOM : http://i.imgur.com/DjAcppY.jpg

This look genuine to me I compare from the flashlightwiki, but this HI I see it first time…

Those look pretty good to me,I wouldn’t start dispute if these came.

I only have LBs in ALL lights with Ultrafire branding. All lights with skywolfeye (either with wolf written or sky+pic wolf head+eye also LB
All Sky Ray s have LBs

All my Convoys and Thorfire lights have genuine Crees.

For me they are genuine CREE

With so many nationalized businesses in China, I wonder if the government there “encourages” the use of their own emitters.

Well..... The manufacturer/brand names are pretty much made up, copy-cat'd, name-of-the-month club sort of thing. So, it's kind of/sort of pointless, or a very temporary thing. Plus the lights can change on a weekly or batch basis. There's no rules, no regs, no ethics, anything goes, wild wild west, etc...

It's a shame though seeing companies like eBay, Amazon, PayPal, AliExpress actively supporting this deceitful selling. They seem to care less this stuff goes on.

I spent a little time trying to find how to report a falsely advertised listing to Amazon, and you know? I could not find a way of doing it....

Yep, looks like a XP-L HI from CREE, and an XM-L2 CREE emitters when compared them to the images i have of Latticebright & Cree emitters. They pass.

I just tried to do that with some u-bolts that were supposed to be a 10-pack but only shipped one item. I searched for an hour trying to figure out how to report that. Not only could I not find a way, but when I at least tried to warn other purchasers about the discrepancy in the item description, my product review was rejected for "not being pertinent".

I'm quickly tiring of Amazon. I reached that point with Ebay years ago.

So if this is becoming a true problem, maybe we need a non-editorialized "This is the real-deal" thread for people ordering lights and looking for a quick reference of others' experiences regarding the LED?

Well I won´t argue with GB about that light, I knew before what to expect when I ordered it - it´s simple math, you can´t sell a light with 7 original Cree XM-L emitters for 15 USD, the LEDs alone would probably cost more, so the only way to make profit is to get cheap led replacements.

Hmmm… I´m pretty sure all the big tech vendors in China know exactly that´s happening. But as long as people with no knowledge (or get the light for free) post 5 star and “best lamp I ever had” reviews they all benefit from that… The way it is it´s simply false advertisement. If they would drop the “Cree” brand in their product descriptions it would at least be fair.

In addition to the fake LEDs, the main problem with these lights is the non-existing heat sink and non existing connection from the led board to the body, the board is just hanging lose inside the lamp - no pill, nothing.

K.

No disagreed when one fights based on false ads the vendor and after that supplier feels it and if one just let it pass there is no incentive to change.
It is not hard to remove the Cree from descriptions and as long as it it is in there they should be held responsible for it

And well we know about the srk issues hence the Q8 !)

In a practical sense, I was happy with the LatticeBright LED flashlight. It was bright enough and the battery life was pretty good. About 20 seconds after deciding that, two questions came to mind:

“How bright is bright enough?”

“What’s the big difference between the LatticeBright clones and the Real Cree?”

Suddenly my flashy new imported tactical flashlight wasn’t satisfactory anymore. It was supposed to have a Cree LED in it and instead it had a clone! I had no idea what that meant except for the cost did seem unusually low for what was advertised as a top tier item. As my thoughts carried me though the rationalization process an image started to form. The only way that I was going find answers to my questions was to obtain a genuine Cree LED. From The LED Store. I purchased one each of three genuine Cree XM-L2 LEDs that were offered: Warm white, Neutral white, and Cool white. These came pre-soldered to 20mm “LuxDrive” bases.

After they arrived I was quick to disassemble the flashlight and replace the LatticeBright clone with a genuine Cree LED. Anticipation was high when I got it all back together, popped in a battery and turned it on. I started with Warm White. After turning it on, I noticed immediately how much better the Warm White LED looked in comparison to the mostly blue-ish light from the clone. That in itself was impressive. When it came to brightness though, I wasn’t satisfied. It didn’t seem that much brighter. Next, I got out my ammeter and measured the current draw from the battery. I had previously measured the current consumption with the clone at 1.25 amps. The Cree LED consumed only slightly more current. According to the spec sheet, the Cree can be driven at 3 amps. This means that the driver circuit in my flashlight was only driving the LED at about 45% of rated capacity. OK, then - I got online and ordered a driver board capable of supplying a full 3 amps of current to my genuine Cree LED.

I must say that after installing the new driver board that at last I had found satisfaction! The genuine Cree LED’s performance was impressive and satisfying! Finally, I had my extreme tactical flashlight! I tried all of the LEDs and while the Cool White seemed the brightest, the Neutral White was my favorite!

For anyone wanting to do the same I recommend measuring your original star base and driver board before spending any money. Make sure you get the right size. My original driver board was a 20mm and the upgrade driver board was 17mm so I had to adapt it. I made a ring of 16ga solid bare copper and soldered it to the circumference (GND) of the driver PC board.

Driving the Cree XM-L2 at maximum rated current generates some heat. The flashlight body that I used has a threaded copper ring to seat the star base. I used the original clear plastic insulator under the copper ring and so far I haven’t had any problems with it.

According to the manufacturer’s spec sheets, at 3 amps my Cree XM-L2 Neutral White LED from the T5 bin has a calculated light output between 950 and 1000 lumens. It’ very bright and I’m very happy with it!

You have taken a very cool road here!

(i must say I got a few lights with LB in a nice tint, I am not going to mod those, the tint is just nce and they produce enough light as is. Yet the blueish tint most have are horrible and need changing for sure.)

I believe that LatticeBright is already a name to be proud of. To be satisfied, I needed to know the difference! I had to search it out for myself!

I would very much like to see a COMPLETE spec sheet for the LB clone LEDs. I have flashlights with LB LEDs that I am very happy with. If you want to compete with other manufacturers, then you need to first match them apples for apples. If the competitor releases full specifications, then anyone in competition with them would do well to do the same. Winning is about playing well and customers value quality and honesty!

In all my observations & tests latticebright LEDs are far inferior, and a step backwards in LED technology compared to the direction that Cree, Nichia, Luxeon, etc. are going. not only myself, but many of us here on BLF have been down that road and specs claimed by Latticebright will not change what we know of them and how they perform in the real world of flashlights and flashlight modding.
They use more amps to achieve the same light, generally have inferior, lottery of tints, and have poor quality & usefulness when it comes to what most flashlight enthusiasts & modders want in a good quality Emitter. Sure they are cheaper, but so was Yugo cars in the 80’s. (we all know where they eventually went.) A latticebright emitter compared to a Cree emitter in most cases we have seen in each category is like comparing a 1980 Yugo to a modern luxury car, - You get what you pay for…
and sadly the Chinese manufacturers & sellers have been using these “cheap” older-technology low-cost, low-quality controlled fakes and selling them as the better Cree emitters at the same prices to us. I don’t approve, not one bit.

Amen. I figure that the ones I have been cursed with perform @ 20-50% of the equilivant Cree.

Hello guys…

I bought a “Skyray King 7x XML2-T6” from Lazada and I got a unit with what I think is a 7x 3535 type LEDs (from what I have read in previous posts). Anyone here has the exact model of this LED? Thanks guys.

here’s the pic:

:wink:

I have received lights with those LEDs too, they aren’t really identifiable or who actually made them, (neither Cree or Latticebright) and most likely some cheap knock-off clone of a generic Samsung 3535 emitter. (I have some Samsung 3535s that these look really close to in style and design.)