The First Ever: Triple XM-L P60 Completed!!!%

Just finished up triple XM-L P60 light using a custom PCB and a copper heatsink from mattaus.

First of all: Special thanks to PilotPTK for designing the circuit board for me and Darkside for sending me an optic due to having trouble with IS.

Doesn't look all that different from your average triple XP-G drop in, but it's more. :D Here the insides are.

(Sorry it is blurry)

Here the board is without LEDs.

Here some more random pictures are.

Installed in my solarforce L2M it draws a steady 5.4 amps no matter the battery. (I've tried with NCR18650A/B, IMR, etc) Sadly this is a bit less than I would prefer, but I plan on fixing this by replacing the wires with thicker ones capable of passing along more current.

Here a quick beamshot to show beam shape is. (Underexposed to show beam shape)

By my estimates it puts out around 1400 lumens. (Measured by ceiling bounce) I think by upgrading the wires I might be able to get it up a bit more; hopefully around 2000.

Nice job :bigsmile:

Does the L2M tailcap switch hold up ok?

Cool! Would love to see some outdoor night beamshots!

-Garry

Yep, they are most likely coming tonight. :D

So far it is holding up ok but only time will tell.

Now I understand why you haven't been posting very much recently!

-Garry

Ok, sounds promising :slight_smile:

Yep, I've been devoting a good bit of my free time to getting this thing done.

You are a better man than I

You have noticed the xm-l2 has been announced……
:bigsmile: just kidding, great job scaru, glad you got it done :beer:

That is pretty cool! A wall of light out of that small p60 host. All you need is a small 18350 IMR and you have a real pocket rocket.

How is the heat on it?

Are those dedomed or did you bore the optic? :D

Nice job scaru!! :wink:

I bored out the optics, as for heat; if I put my hand in front of it i can feel a substantial amount of heat coming off it.

Meh… if your flesh doesn’t sizzle like bacon, the light isn’t working hard enough… needs more power! J)

What driver are you using?

Congrats on getting it done, scaru! Any chance for some outdoor shots?
Don’t let this one go through the dryer, lol

!

Direct drive but with fairly thin wires to keep the current at a sane level. As said above I am going to upgrade the wires to hopefully get it up to around 8-9 amps.

"Dr. Frankenstein, your monster is ALIVE..."

Congrats, Scaru! That looks like it turned out really well. I have to ask, what switch are you using? If you're going DD to the emitters, then resistance is holding you back. Not only in the wires, but also the springs, switch, and threads. Copper braid for the springs, DeOxit for the threads, and then really short/thick test leads and I bet the current will come a runnin...

I already did copper braid on the switch which did help, and my test leads were maybe 3 inches long and made of solid copper 8 gauge wire. The problem is the wire in the drop in is to thin, it needs to be taken out and replaced with thicker wire which I hope to do this weekend.