The lanyard hole

I’m curious how many people either care to have, or have previously cared to have lanyard holes in their knives so they could attach danglybits from their blades, either for function or fashion?

I used to care absolutely nothing for them. Thought they were purely for fashion and found it ridiculous, frankly. Then, perhaps a year or so ago, I fell for the different creative ways one could decorate their knives, make them stand out a bit and give 'em flare. Guess I cared more about fashion than function in the end. Lol

That said, recently I’ve also learned the functional purpose of them, and have really grown to prefer to have one. I tend not to use the clips on my pocket knives. I like a deep conceal carry, out of the way of my draw should I need to use the gun I carry in my front pocket. So a little bit of lanyard sticking out the top of the pocket really provides a nice easy solution to grabbing the knife when needed while not tearing up the back of my hand on the extended magazine of my pistol.

Just curious how others feel about the whole thing. I’m guessing most feel the way I used to.

The lanyard is quite useful although I personally despise them.

I don’t use lanyards for knives, flashlights, or anything else that I can think of. :+1:

1 Thank

The Lanyard Hole would make a great name for a bar or restaurant.

5 Thanks

Every person in the bar decked out with as much ED gear as they can carry. Showing off their new toys…I like it.

1 Thank

I like lanyards on flashlights. I don’t like them on knives.

For me though, it’s practical. One night, I was working on a trailer in the middle of a field on a very cold and dark night. I dropped my flashlight, and it landed just wrong and turned off. I bet I spent 5-10 minutes crawling around on my hands and knees trying to find that thing. Since then it’s (irrationally) always been in the back of my mind and any time I grab a light when I’m going to be away from the house I make sure I can secure it. (plus, as a kayaker I know if it’s not attached it’s lost…)

I guess I don’t have quite the same use case for knives, and I find that lanyards are usually in my way and irritate me.

1 Thank

Once I attached lanyards on several knives with beautiful metal beads on them. They were good looking but I found they’re discomfort when being used.

Now I collect the beads in a plastic container.

Interesting. I currently do the attachment of beads and love it. Great way to dress up a knife and personalize/customize it. The length of the cord matters though. Too long and it gets in the way. So i keep mine quite short. Hasn’t become a nuisance yet.

1 Thank

I’d only put a lanyard on a knife if the handle was too short for me to comfortable grasp otherwise. (so like a small fixed-blade edc knife)

I like to have it just to have it. There’s a 1% chance the lanyard prevents me from dropping the light and a 99% it’ll be an inconvenience that gets hooked on stuff accidentally but I still want the option.

1 Thank

I use a simple lanyard on most knives and lights. I find 'em handy when pulling from pockets and they don’t get in my way.

I will agree I prefer the looks w/o the lanyard, but function over form and all that.

when walking our dogs, i wear a lanyard around my neck
with a small knife, flashlight, and whistle
all attached through their lanyard holes.
this web image shows the basics:

IWB behind the hip for my flipper, tip up, with a flat cobra knot and 1.5" lanyard. A long lanyard is trouble.

Edit: although, a long lanyard would be good if needing it at the ready but having two free hands. Then, there’s the way to keep it on you as demonstrated in The Grey

Only product I am using a lanyard on is my camera. Flashlights, Knives, all without.

1 Thank

The only knife I have a lanyard on is my Spyderco Honeybee and it’s a very non-tacticool plain white loop. I originally added it to make it easier to attach to my keys but it does provide useful additional purchase with it being so tiny.

I do like to use lanyards on lights I use outdoors though, it stops me dropping them and also means that if I briefly need both hands I can just let it dangle for a while.