The LEP Flashlights discussion thread - discuss LEPs here

The pillar / module is glued very well so i could not open it easily. After it failed i did cut off the back end and extract the parts. I would like to order a new diode and play around with focusing (and heatsinking) but I’ve kinda lost interest for a few reasons - time , cost , no guarantee i can make it comparable to existing LEP flashlights , danger of playing with high power laser.

I stuck a 5050 round die led in the 1504 host and got far better results than with the LEP module. It was cheap and easy so i think i’ll stick with that.

Is that the lens you have used or the actual module?

@grin - I’m not sure what your question is in reference to…??

Just wondering if the lens is not suited to the LEP module or if the LEP module is no good.
Just something I would ask myself. Im going to have to build a module to better understand how to increase light output. I will use the phosphor from a w30.

Yes. You are probably right. It isn’t worth of even playing with it until price significantly drops somewhere to 10-15$ cause it doesn’t worth more. To much play for nothing…

Wow, that Owleyes Pro is impressive! The L2KD looks like a big step up over the L2K too.

Countycomm / Maratac has released a new compact LEP light, its supposed to do 895,000 (doesn’t specify cd) 1.2mi / 1.92Km 600lm max and runs on 21700

In the past they have rebranded lumintop lights including several versions of the FW lineup, could this one share the same internals as their thor series?

Pinkpanda3310,

Did you tried to play with zooming once when LEP had worked in 1504? I would like to know does it significantly looses output in flood mode(zoomed out), and of course beam pattern?

The Owleyes is very impressive.. it's competing with the Acebeam W50 :)

I expect any lens that’s good for led is good for lep, but that’s just my impression. Aspherics simply project the image at the focal point.

I briefly looked at the wide beam once but didn’t really pay attention because I was more interested/ concerned about the throw.

I have tried lots of different combinations of lenses and some just don’t work. Others only work in combination with another lens. I don’t know why.

Try with PMMA lens.

Now that you say that I have never tried LED with the W30 lens.

I had a bit of a play with a hopoocolor lux meter 4 x W30s gave me a reading of 35766.47lux @12.86m or 5915044cd

Guys,

We must make usable light out of LEP or any other possible LASER technology.

Zoom function should remain!

Combination of right precoolimator and lens size for proper throw to flood mode.

Guys please check this video from Matt Smith and help:

Please watch from 5:02 minute. There you will see some LEP with zoom function.

Matt doesn’t like it because of ugly tint. But only that light has full potential in my eyes. I am just wondering how he can’t see that? :slight_smile:
Guys? Matt? Who is manufacturer of that “green ugly” no name LEP?

LEP light should not only be orientated for breaking candela records. They got to be optimized toward better usability.

With LEP I like on/off and most of the time I use half press for momentary. 500lumens is not very useful 2000lumens makes a massive difference.
I think that changing the laser focus therefore the size of the light source could be a good way to sort 9f zoom it, that method may also reduce the loses in the lenses.

Where to buy ?
I have been looking for LEP flashlights on and off for a while. I think I have settled ona Limintop Thor 3

On AliExpress there are two Lumintop related sites with seemingly low prices. I am aware of Banggood and Neil’s gadgets . But are these two sites possibly legit ?

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1102048243?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.6e0b9c5cSh4r4k

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256803306967215.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.6e0b9c5cSh4r4k&algo_pvid=913fd722-c002-45cb-bc1b-32dbf8e5e8aa&aem_p4p_detail=202207041423374633213530576420052964041&algo_exp_id=913fd722-c002-45cb-bc1b-32dbf8e5e8aa-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000026042432229"}&pdp_npi=2%40dis!USD!!119.4!!!!!%402103255a16569698171625519e3a6d!12000026042432229!sea

The LEP in the video I have no idea what it is. The reason for the horrible tint is because it is warm white. I have a warm white W30, I didn’t like it the yellow light so I ripped the driver out and connected the light to a bench supply to see what 8t would handle.

Well mentioned unknown light really has potential. I have send PM to Vestureofblood(Matt) but I got no response. I would rather take that ugly green LEP light than anything else he has on the test.

This is an interesting LEP module luminarium iaculator was right about beam shape. It looks to be collimated without using any type of lens. Each component of the module is separate. If I can’t get the potting out I will drill it because it looks to me like the phosphor is mounted on a flat heatsink.

My apologies for the focus on the hobbit hands
When I ran it there was laser light coming out of it so I had goggles on but at 5amp the beam feels hot. I think there is potential for for a zoomie that changes the focus of the laser instead of the lens. This way the lens stays in focus to cut the amount of loses.

Correction on that 4.5v 3.5amp is Max over 4.5v it died.
I’m interested in what part of the module generates the most heat. I think the phosphor may take a lot more heat than the laser diode.