The LEP Flashlights discussion thread - discuss LEPs here

I just ordered the Astrolux wp3, from Banggood. I cannot wait to receive and try it out. Being away from the hobby for a couple of years, I just recently discovered this whole LEP craze. Just like Britney Spears, I must confess, I’m hooked.

I know I’ll have little to no use for an LEP flashlight, but then again, can most of us truly say, we have real world use for any of our high power lights? Is a hobby, and the expense is part of it. I still like a deal just like anyone, but I’m trying to be realistic. Just like my RC hobby. That hobby, is crazy expensive, compared to the high power market of flashlights.

Stupid question, what does LEP stand for? I’m assuming is light emitting phosphorus?

Since you are the one of the rarest persons on planet that are trying to mod LEP flashlights did you maybe encountered on any new type of LEP modules on www market?

I haven’t found any different ones. It looks like the higher powered modules use a prism with the diode at 90° to the phosphor. Similar to the way this one works.

The phosphor mounted on a copper heatsink will handle 7w although it isn’t focused properly and most of the heat appears to come from the diode.

Swapping the diode for 7w is the next step. Then a recycling collar with diodes mounted in it.

The w30 module can nearly be direct driven. 2.5a 4.1v, 3.5a 4.2v
I think a taskled 6amp buck will allow me to push the diode to the limit. I need to spend a week on the lathe

That’s a long time in flashlight hours. Definitely long enough to last until the next generation comes out.

W30 yellow acebeam module a straight swap with aliexpress module

I should be working on the old lumens light but I have turned into a LEPer :person_facepalming:
I have no idea how I am going to drive a 7w diode yet.

And yes I did put the punch thru that lens but I have another.
There are also enough parts to upgrade 5 modules. I am hoping the forward voltage is around 4v. Will the output double? Will the phosphor burn? I think it will handle the increase.

I am happy to post this elsewhere but I think it is relevant to the thread. LEP is exciting because I can build it. That gets me thinking will multiple diodes cancel each other out if they hit the same spot?
I am thinking I could point the diode down a tubular spider to the mirror in front of the phosphor for recoil 2 legs for cooling one for the laser.

Stick on maximizing performance of just one lep module. Fet driver with some resistance like longer 24AWG wires, and thicker steel springs does not seem like a bad idea to me.

The W30 doesn’t have enough mass to run a 7w diode it also needs 2S forward voltage is 5v at around 5amp

Mouser send us a mail after 3 month waiting
that it takes longer.
So we cancel.

Find another one at Digikay

Ordered at Saturday
arrived at Monday :+1:

and much cheaper

Regards Xandre

OMG! 200$!
But yes this one looks like most suitable for classic aspherical flashlights with lets say special “touch up” of adding precoolimator lenses for more lumens if needed.

This will be extreme modding. Really looking forward for it. Please note us here when you will be done. What driver do you plan to use?

Please be careful building this light and of course Good Luck :+1:

Will be interesting to see how it goes!!!

Our plan is to use a XHP 35 driver.

(12 Volt —–2.5A )

What are you thinking ?

Regards Xandre

It is a high voltage and low current. XHP35 driver looks like a good start but doesn’t leave much head room. With good heat sinking would it handle 2.8amp? If it was me I would take the risk. buck driver
I would use a short FL pre and a Long FL primary. I find mounting them on a rail is the best way to find dimensions before building the light.

Thanks

First we will do some tests and playing with a power supply.

Also we will test it with wavien.

Can this buck driver handle the 9 Volt ?

I think we rather need a boost driver.

Regards Xandre

A boost driver would make the battery simpler. With the buck driver you would need 4S battery.
Aligning the collar may be difficult take care of your eyes.
This chip has a lot of potential.

Our planed driver is out of the
Mateminco MT35 CREE XHP35 HI
Do not find a measurement,but think is 2,5A.
We will see…

Take care of your eyes,too

Regards Xandre

data sheet sayes 2.5amp check the driver voltage before you connect the module. Maybe test in the reflector light first?

Maybe at a BLF GT or TN 42 or something with XHP 35 inside.

The “master plan” is to use it with a fresnel lens and Wavien

Regards Xandre

That could be reflowed to the GT board.