The making of the BLF UC4 charger: the start of a new venture, INTEREST LIST, UPDATE 7 (Well, ramping stopped :/ )

If you find it misreads IR like most other chargers , clean the contacts , if You ever take it apart you should clean the rails with deoxit or similar,also clean the - & + contacts on the cells .
Mine is very consistent every time ,I also did this to my opus & it to is now consistent,if I minus 30 from the opus reading it more or less agrees with the sky rc .

Based on their email and how early in the process it still is, I don’t think any evil was done. If they make a charger with some BLF wishes built in, yay.

Batteries have very low internal resistances, its order of magnitude is close to that of a charger's rail plus its contact resistances. These consumer chargers sense voltage changes somewhere in the circuit board, after the load current goes through all of the rail plus contacts plus cell group. This makes proper cell internal resistance measurement… impossible this way.

To properly measure the internal resistance of a cell, variations of voltage drop with flow of current need to be observed right at the terminals of a cell or battery. This is the reason proper battery testing setups use 4-wire battery holders.

Deal with it people. This does not mean having a standard charger with internal resistance measurement guessing is bad. I like it, lets you know if you need to clean the rail or cell contacts, for example.

@Kevin K and Barkuti. Thanks for the reminder, I really forgot to clean and lube the rails on my second mc3000 as I did the first one. My first one failed and GB was nice enough to send me a new one, so I need to do that again.

[quote=d_t_a]

This! is, for me, the worst UI feature in the MC3000. I seldom charge/discharge 3 or 4 cells at any given time. Most of my charging chores are for my (edc) single 14500 or AA/AAA cells…and during this time, I mostly fill up the other slots with other cells (nimh, lilo) just to make use of the charger with ANY combination (charge, discharge, refresh, break-in, etc as the need/want arises…and I don’t want to remember AT ALL the program number of any of the combinations that I will be setting. For this reason I never used my MC3000 again.

Engineers are not product designers.

BLF has worked on dozens of successful projects over many years and there are projects underway with major manufacturers right this moment. These projects always have a BLF member as project leader with many other people helping as necessary.

Look at the BLF LT1, for example. This project’s lead designer was DBSAR and his name is printed across the bottom of the lantern. It includes hardware and software from other forum members and Sofirn has sold thousands of them. It was originally being developed with Thorfire, but transferred to Sofirn.

The way BLF tends to work is to submit design proposals and have them approved and prototyped by company engineers. This back and forth process has led to not only many successful products, but entire products lines for the manufacturers involved.

If the “boss” didn’t like the idea of working with BLF, he or she probably doesn’t know anything about BLF projects. Sure, not all projects will succeed or be completed, but that doesn’t mean that BlueSwordM is “arrogant” for attempting it. That’s not fair in light of the many BLF projects which have followed a similar development path.

BLF A6 (later S1)

BLF GT

BLF GT70

BLF GT90

BLF LT1

BLF/TLF FW3A

Ah, perhaps best to just check the Master Thread HERE :slight_smile: .

Thank you BlueSwordM. I appreciate the work you’ve done here and hope that I can soon get a charger like this for a reasonable price. Best of luck with school, as well!

If the project becomes more open as a result, then all the better, but my experience is that too many cooks won’t have a meal ready before everyone starves to death.

Hi, below are additions since last update and the BLF INTEREST LIST file linked to in post #1 have been updated too.
The interest list count now stands at 575 chargers.

POST# NAME

1282 jaynick
1283 Ragsy
1284 Givememyhatback
1285 baldo21
1286 MixedWithFruit
1287 Big_B
1290 CircaM
1291 Rexlion
1317 Wieselflinkpro

If anyone post their interest and still is not on the interest list or required number of units has changed please notify me. Thanks!

Um, I was already on the interest list for one, and did not intend to express any desire for another one when I made post #1291.

@Rexlion
Thank you for your rectification :+1:
My apologies for misinterpretation :person_facepalming:

I can understand someone being skeptical of a bunch of “armchair” “kitchen table” (or whatnot) ‘engineers’ But looking at the examples from this group and looking over some of the discussions and work done by people in here, it’s pretty obvious that there are a lot of high caliber people in here. And the products that have come out of this group clearly hold their own against anything in the market.
After all it’s not like a bunch of people in a truck group telling Ford how they should configure their diesel trucks. Ford has hundreds of engineers and PhD’s working on their projects.
In less mature areas of development many of the advances have been done in garages and basements.

There’s a lot of merit to that statement. Back in early 2010 NASA brass were exploring the idea of going back to the Moon first, then Mars by 2024 2040 respectively. They needed a new rocket/launch vehicle. Naturally, they looked to existing designs first, but they couldn’t use the Shuttle. Developing a new vehicle is very expensive. The only candidate they had that could get a vehicle out of earth’s orbit to the moon was the Saturn V. However, it hadn’t flown or any parts been made since the late 1970’s. They tried to engineer the F1 and J2 engines from existing designs and blueprints, but came up short in several key areas. The engineers and designers who worked on those engines and built them were either passed away or otherwise unavailable. The way they documented changes in designs on the fly, working at 1 AM figuring out why things didn’t work when they should meant no records of some key design flaws and changes and the fixes for them were long gone, written down on scratch paper, napkins, dry erase or chalk boards. The 100% reliability of the F1 engine was due to tens of thousands of hours of sweat, tears, cigarettes, coffee, and long days and nights in the lab and shops.

Without the experience, they went with the Space Shuttle main engine and SRB configuration for the new SLS. I think about the flashlight mods I’ve done and how I fixed or improved stuff the BLF members designs and ideas have inspired them! I think that manufacturers can learn a lot from armchair engineers and backseat designers!

Hello Folks, count me in for 1 BLF UC4, should it come to be.

I’m curious to see what you have been working on.

Hello Folks, count me in for 1 BLF UC4, should it come to be.

Please add me to the list for 1 BLF UC4 charger. THanks!

Add me to the list for 1 BLF UC4 charger also. Would be great to see this project come to fruition!

Add me on too please thanks very much to you all

Add me to the list, if you please.

Is there anything like this on this on the market now?

I suppose the SkyRC MC3000 has almost all the mentioned features, but the MC3000 is more expensive, and also a bit more difficult to use for some people (I’m fine with the MC3000), while the BLF UC4 was designed to be less expensive and supposed to have a more intuitive usage operation with most of the designed features not present in other chargers (eg. storage voltage, or not charging to the full 4.20v, but say limiting to 4.10v and the like).