The THROWER Thread

Thats a good one but also a hard one to call, im pretty set on using SBs numbers over some manufacturer claim but he does go on to say it beats most stuff until the TN31! Maybe wait for his next test or someone elses results? Or shall i knock the Olight M3X out as thats its bracket i believe?

Edit: getting muddled up, hopefully thats looks about right now?

Got a link? i have linked to the T6 version so ideally want to change it and make sure price is OK

Since we have some serious throwers here can I ask a favor ? My question is if a Thrunite TN31 with 1,147 lumens is modded to throw a beam of 240Kcd wouldn’t the lumen output also increase ?

My confusion is the difference in how to compare lumens,Lux, and Kcd figures !

Thanks for a reply I’m looking into a Onestopthrowshop torch…….

Its max capability may very well be 1147 lumens but it all depends on the diameter of the reflector, design and how hard the led is driven. In this case, results will vary.

It is modded by dedoming the LED. What dedoming does is it takes off the dome which disperses the light. This means that instead of shooting the light everywhere, it shoots most of the light forward. Here I drew a picture in paint for you.

!!

I hope this clears things up.

EDIT: This diagram is wrong, please refer to comment 73 for the correct diagram

Now I see the light… so there is nothing else involved… I can buy a TN31 de-dome it and it will get 240Kcd like the Onestop guys ?

Cree LEDs are not made to be dedomed like Luminous LEDs are. So you can try, and you will have a really hard time but if you don’t have experience with dedoming XMLs then give yourself a 10% chance or lower of succeeding.
It’s better to practice on something else… so perhaps buy a couple of XMLs and try to dedome them first.

Thanks for the help and diagrams… :beer:

No problems! I’m all for education :slight_smile:
Heh… took me a good 10 minutes though, but it’s worth it if it works! :stuck_out_tongue:

A well drawn diagram can always clear up any concern. Nicely done!

This diagram is wrong. The lens in front of the semiconductor element focuses the light to go more forward, not to disperse. Otherwise the light would follow the standard COS curve. The light that goes “forward” is what forms the spill, and what goes to the side (off reflector) is the spot. Dedoming puts more light into the spot (but not necessarily a brighter spot, perhaps just larger one), and cuts losses through one extra optical element.

Also, that T20 manny mentioned should be included in stock form if anyone knows how much it throws:

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/uniquefire-uft20-cree-xml-led-1200lumen-3mode-floodtothrow-memory-flashlight-black-18650-p-10770

I understood that taking the dome off changes the light path…. What I can’t comprehend is that the light thrown goes from 130,000 Kcd to 240Kcd by only removing the dome ? No wiring No increase on amperage and no changing wires or drivers… Then these guys charge $70.00 extra on a TN31 and charge $285.00 just for dedoming…. Wow

So what you’re saying is that instead of emitting light from the top of the LED, most of it goes towards the side? That makes more sense actually… I’ll change my diagram

EDIT: Here is the correct diagram:
!!

It doesn’t double by dedoming unless it was focused less than optimally in the first place.

More of it goes towards the sides. Look at the diagram of “typical spacial distribution” in Cree lit, then compare to a Cos graph. It’s not OMGXBOXHUEG difference. In cree emitters, the phosphor “gel” layer is in between the dome and emitter (the stuff that turns blue led into “white” led), so dedoming without disturbing this is YMMV.

Oh yeah, that’s what I meant. check comment 73. I fixed the diagram.

I should have put more lines pointing up in the domed version, but oh well…

Maybe not :wink:

Reflector
Dome LED focus the light forward and narrow the angle of emmition, Projecting more light forward.
So less throw but more spill and more OTF.
De-domed LED = The larger angle from de-doming increases the amount of light hitting the reflector
So… increasing throw but less spill and less OTF.
Blue = become spot
Red = become spill

To expand on this, most big reflector “throwers” I find don’t have optimal throw. IOW, you can get a brighter (and smaller) center spot by moving the led relative to the reflector. That’s probably done on purpose because a decent sized spot is more useful than a tiny one (and not because the manufacturers are idiots), though I would question the logic of a bigger reflector if they’re not going to take full advantage of it.

Your original diagram was correct. 1 more line would have suifficed. 8)