The ultimate C8 DIY / mod for throw

After a bit more reading, I’m wondering if the XP-G2 on 20mm aluminum will work for 3 amps…since I’m already placing a FT order.

So far, I have these parts either on the way or in a shopping cart:

1. Convoy C8 host (shipped)
2. Brass pill
3. New reflector
4. XP-G2 S2 2B on 20mm aluminum
5. Q-lite Rev A 7135*8 3.04A driver (shipped)
6. OMTEN 1217 1.5A 250V Pushbutton On/Off Switches (spares, shipped)
7. XM-L Reflector to XP-G Reflector Converter Adapters

Now if someone can tell me if this will all bolt up, life is golden. :slight_smile:

I've pumped 3A into an XP-G2 on 20mm Al inside of a C8 and the blue glow of death + phosphor vapor appeared. Copper is a must.

Ok.

What is the difference in the Noctigon boards and the Sinkpads I’ve heard about?

Don’t do that unless you have a DTP MCPCB (i.e. Noctigon, Sinkpad…).

And there is practically no any difference between the Noctigon and the Sinkpad AFAIK.

Cool deal. I’ll just order up the 20mm Noctigon/XP-G2 from Richard.

How does the rest of my parts list in post #73 look? I’m ready to click the Paypal button just as soon as someone tells me those parts will work with that host. :smiley:

that brass pill has been reported to not work in the newer Convoy C8. Otherwise I think you're good to go.

Well that sucks. :slight_smile:

So… if that brass pill won’t work, what are my options for getting a 20mm Noctigon LED mounted up in the Convoy C8 host? If there aren’t any, will a 16mm Noctigon with the stock internals be adequate for some “hot” rodding?

Can I get enough heat-sinking to run one of Richard’s FET drivers in it for max output (with a turbo timer and lower modes for sane use)?

(I’m a 50 year old engineer/fabricator with some experience in electronics, but such a newb at flashlights it hurts. :D)

Hi there. The stock aluminium pill in your Convoy C8 is good enough for “hot-rod” mod. As long as your LED is reflowed properly onto the Direct Thermal Path MCPCB (Noctigon or Sinkpad kind of MCPCB) you are all good. The material of the pill itself - whether it is made from copper or aluminium is not the most important thing to care about since it is not the “bottleneck” of the thermal transfer.

I just finished a (new version) Convoy C8 build recently. I reflowed the stock XM-L2 U2 1A onto a 20mm Noctigon, dedomed it, and feed it with 4.2A. Pill? It is the stock aluminium pill. The candela measured over the time is shown as below:

93kcd at startup
93kcd at 30sec
92kcd at 1 minute

As you can see the drop in output is so small even I am still using the stock aluminium pill.

Conclusion? Using a Direct Thermal Path MCPCB is crucial; The material of the pill itself isn’t really important as long as it is not made from plastic or plaster.

That sounds like fine numbers you got out of the C8 :-)

Thanks for the info.

Did you have to modify the stock pill, or is it big enough for the 20mm Noctigon to drop right in? I have an XP-G2 S2 2B on 20mm Noctigon coming from Richard that I plan on using (or maybe a de-domed XP-G2 R5 1A on 16mm Noctigon). I’d like to try his FET driver eventually, but for now it will get a 3.04A Qlite.

Djozz, the performance is out of my expectation too, or maybe 4.2A is really ‘nothing’ for XM-L2 considering a lot of people run them at 5.0A or more lol. But I think I will need to do another run of measurement if time allows just to further confirm this. :slight_smile:

Calan, I didn’t modify the pill at all.
Old version Convoy C8 - Accepts 16mm MCPCB
New version Convoy C8 - Accepts 20mm MCPCB, also comes with two screws to hold down the MCPCB.

I have modded both old and new version of Convoy C8 and I highly recommend the new version for modding. But if you have the old version, don’t worry it is not bad either. :slight_smile:

I’ll have whatever version this is, once it gets here. :slight_smile:

Take and post a photo of your disassembled Convoy C8 here once you have received them and we will know. :slight_smile:

Do they make an XP-G2 specific reflector for these C8’s? This one originally came with an XM-L, and the XP-G2 is ringy in it. But, holy hell….the hot spot is nuts (XP-G2 S2 2B on screwed 20mm Noc, Qlite with two extra 7135’s, Panasonic 18650B 3400mAh).

I don’t have anything to take a decent pic, but it lights up a tree approximately 200 yards from my house like daylight. I’ll see if I can at least get some cheesy cell phone pics.

EDIT:

And, is the M1 head interchangeable with the C8?

What are the best throw numbers you guys can get out of your C8`s?

Love C8s! Here’s my three builds:

• XinTD C8 host with de-domed XP-G2 S4 on a 12x380 (4.5 amp) linear driver = 157000 cd, or 795m
  • XinTD C8 host with de-domed XP-E2 R4 on a 6x380 (2.3 amp) linear driver = 112000 cd, or 670m
  • Convoy C8 host with XP-L HI V2 on MtnElectronic’s version of the FET+1 driver = 98000 cd, or 626m

The Convoy is something I consider an ongoing project because I feel like it should do better. The tailspring is bypassed but I haven’t broken the pill back open to replace the wiring yet. I shoulda upgraded that before I put it together. Or maybe there’s more resistance there somewhere that I haven’t thought of yet. Regardless, I’m pretty pleased with the two XinTD builds but I feel like the XP-L HI should do more.

Sounds pretty good to me.
Sure the XPL will have a more useful brighter spill, or not?

Yes it does, and its also kinda ringy so I’m not sure its focused very well. I tried removing any sort of spacer ring to raise the emitter in the reflector and it helped a bit, but its still not great.

Idk, I didn’t build it for useful spill. I’ve got other lights for that :slight_smile: I just wanted it to be the strongest XP-L HI thrower it could be and I don’t think it is yet. I’d love to hear from others though. Who’s got an XP-L HI C8 that beats it?

While I’m here, some beamshots of the other two lights:

De-domed XP-G2:

De-domed XP-E2:

Never took any beamshots of the XP-L HI light yet because I’m not very happy with it, so far.

New version Convoy C8, 110kcd with XP-L HI V2 1A, Fet+1, 30Q, sanded down stock centering ring and AR glass. Draws ~5A and drops quickly.