The versatile Husky 3C (Pic Heavy)

I have to say I didn't expect I would like this light. Looking at in the packaging, it appeared that the head would be too narrow for my taste. It also looked like it would be made of thin material. But when dchomak offered some at his cost, I couldn't refuse. At a minimum, it would I would get an XPL and some parts. Turns out I was wrong. Due to the design and dimensions, there are all kinds of mod opportunities in this light.

Dchomak first alerted and tore down this light at Posts 3 & 4 in this thread. The light has a thick walled battery tube that doesn't need to be bored to take unprotected King Kongs. Two will fit with a spacer. The fit is snug, but they slide easily. No rattle. The head has a 2" (50mm) OD reflector and lens. This means that reflectors that fit in D & C Maglites, SRK's, 3T6's, etc should be easy to fit with light filing. Not sure if any readily available glass lens options exist though. Not an issue if you cut your own glass or don't mind grinding one down to size.

The reflector is plastic, but appears to have a very good quality finish. Looks designed for throw. The light has double O-rings throughout and appears to be water proof to shallow depths (I didn't test this though) The battery tube is a little slippery. Gonna try to lightly dull with high grit sandpaper.

Head and tail. They have lots of machining and all appears to be done pretty well. Due to the design, it would be easy to extend or shorten the head. A 18650 will fit all the way down into that tail. If the switch was pulled, an 18650 will go all the way to the bottom. This provides enough length to fit 3 18650 cells.

Head was lightly glued. See that stuff to the right of the first pic below. That was the glue. I used a hair drier (not a hot air gun), a strap wretch, and a silicon oven mitt to unscrew the head.

Inside of the head. The pill top is flush with that bottom landing. The two halves of the head could be cut to shorten the head. Or a spacer (or cooling fin) could be inserted where the two halves meet to extend the head.

Reflector is looks real good to me. About 44.5mm tall, 44mm ID, 50mm OD.

There is a nice channel that an O-ring can be put in to have a small bumper. The light is a nice size. Would prefer a side switch. Thinking about trying to put one that is vertical (thumb is pointing to location I'm thinking of).

Tail cap assembly seem hardy. By the way, that wire in the spring is stock.

Mods to come. Just need to decide which direction to go. :)

Thanks lma4Wheelr. Looking forward to your future mod.

Hmm the comment about SRK reflector has me intrigued

Nice pics!
But I gotta ask, did your light not come with an emitter, pill or driver? :slight_smile:
Why I bet you never even turned it on before you tore into it! :smiley: I wonder how many of us are guilty of THAT.
This light is quite a thrower as is, probably due the use of the XP-L
I never got the head of mine, my Harbor Freight strap wrench broke. I’ll have to try you method with a hair dryer and silicone pot glove.
This is what it looks like with the rubber boot on the head.

BTW, I got this 3C Husky as part of a combo pack. 1 3C light and 1 3-AAA light on clearance. The single 3C light is still offered at Home Depot for $19.97 Wait for it to go on clearance.

I didn’t pay these much mind when I saw them on the clearance rack; I thought it would be thin and weaksauce, but it looks like a real beefcake of a host. Sweet!

^
Glad to hear that I’m not the only one that mis-judged the light while in package. I wouldn’t classify it as a real beefcake though. I’d say much better than expected, but it needs cooling fins for more surface area, Unfortunately, the head walls do not seem thick enough to turn out some fins. But for the fortunate few that will get this light and a 3AA for $5.03, it’s any amazing value. Just the XP-L and XP-E2 (I think), not to mention the cells, are probably worth that.

Thanks guys for the nice comments. I think my first mod will be an aspheric. I have a 50mm lens that I got for a Maglite build, but the longer head and with long threaded bezel make it a nice candidate for a biggish zoomie.

LOL, guilty as charged. Probably started tearing it down within a second or two of pulling it from the package. Thank you for taking a trunk load for the team dchomak. It was very generous of you to spend your money and time to offer them to BLF members at your cost. Is that offer still open for BLF members?