This is good, cheap glow tape-Mark flashlights to find in the dark

avirulent insipidity=

[extreme dullness; lacking spirit or interest 2. lacking any distinctive or interesting taste property. 1. It avirulent , insipidity, do not light, excitant odour is not had in construction]

The LIT stuff is a powder paint. AGRO gave a link to Glow INC. where they also have a GITD powder for sale. But, if you look on that page, they give this warning:

So, if you need something that will work reliably in a particular way, it is probably better to buy the pre-mixed paint or the tape. :wink:

I bought glow powder from the Glow INC guys years ago (possibly before they included the warning) with the intention to mix it with cheap paint/glue.

Never really used it for anything as it’s difficult to find a base which isn’t water based not UV blocking.

Tried it with some standard varnish, works much better than most other GITD stuff but noticeably less bright than the raw powder which is crazy bright.

I accidentally spilled a small amount of the powder on a carpet, it took a good deal of vacuuming to stop being able to see the specks of glow powder out of the corner of my eye with dark adapted eyes.

This thread reminded me I had some, might try to make some zipper pulls with powder and translucent silicone sealant or maybe hot glue…

Edit to add: the powder I had actually came from a UK based company called GLOWTEC, and most of these strontium aluminate glow powders advise against acidic bases, given I silicone sealant gives off acetic acid while curing, I think I’ll find a different base…

I have trouble believing there’s a paint product that can boost the energy from infrared photons (“heat”) into emitting visible light. It will revolutionize solar photovoltaic products if it exists.

It’s been a longtime goal of PV chemists
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=infrared+photovoltaic

And alas, we’re still far from using the waste heat of a flashlight to recharge the battery.

Way back in university, I did my Master’s on the electrification of transport system. Who new I was 40 years ahead of my time! Lol

The main power source was distributed solid state radioisotope thermoelectric generators. The breakthrough was……work to improve the 10% conversion efficiency.

Work on that and we don’t need any other power source.

Looking around, so many off brands having this GITD tape. Found one brand, Captank, that seems to be pretty well regarded. Should have a roll of it in my hands later next week.

So it’s been 2.5 days since any light charging, and this stuff doesn;t seem any dimmer than a charged sample after about 8 hours.

I’m still conducting ‘the test’.
I take it out in the dark, look at it, then put back in black cloth in a closed cabinet.

It looks to me like ‘background radiation’ is enough to keep it glowing.

wle

That tape isn’t glowing at the same level from sunlight received 3 days earlier.

There has to be decay or it’s your perception or……radioluminescent.

I have a fair number of watches. Almost all military style/type. Some have tritium, some have luminescent paint. I keep two out and the rest hidden where no light penetrates. Out of curiosity, I tried to see the painted ones in the dark and there is a very, very, very faint glow a few days later, nothing past a week. Arguably, the paint blob on them is much, much thicker then it would be on a tape. Obviously the tritium ones are full glow.

Curious results…and it’s your health….

maybe you are right, and it will fade completely in a week or so

i just know the stuff is too cheap to have anything radioactive in it

wle

Maybe…maybe not.

The former east block countries had a lot of questionable practices. Some seriously crazy. It would easily be in the realm of possibilty that they “bought” a barrel of questional radioactive material and sprinkled it into the paint.

The longevity of the glow is very, very suspicious. Ultimatly, other then our opinions, it is up to you to deal with it.

i;d get a geiger counter but they are too expensive
on the other hand i also have 58 pieces of uranium glass too

wle
[only glows like this under UV light]

You’re totally going to turn into The Hulk.

’oogle “radiological safety” and “Atlanta”
and call up one of the university offices or federal labs in your area.

These folks are serious about checking stuff people turn up.

Last time I did that, I checked a huge antique glass radio transmitter tube packaged with a radioactivity warning.
It had a thin film of radioactive material as a “getter” inside the glass and a bit somewhere to provide ionization to make it easier to establish an electrical current flow. It had sufficient information on the box for an expert to tell me what it was.

The expert reply was appropriate: “Tell him not to eat it.”

People do pick up odd stuff that’s radioactive —- steel table legs and steel rebar and Bed, Bath and Beyond Kleenex boxes made from contaminated scrap iron for example. And there’s a lot of careless people out there handling radioactive material.

For that matter, coal fly ash (often now used in new cement) and the mud on oil drilling piles is significantly radioactive.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=oil+drilling+pipe+radioactivity

Getting the dangerous stuff tracked down is part of the radiological safety job.

Let us know what you find out.

Yeah, that was even an episode of “House”

Fly ash is recycled in cement. That is why I brought up Geiger counter and concrete buildings earlier in the thread.

I’m currently in the process of building a new home. As an engineer, I have plenty of ideas of what I want my “final” home to be. Went to some builder of higher end homes and all three told me that I’m wasting big money in the “radon scare” and “electro-wats-u-ma-call-it waves”. To them, faucets and floor tiles are the only things I should concerned about.

I want to hire them so I can fire them…. :smiling_imp:

I will be my own contractor and it will be build MY way with all the relatively cheap solutions already built into the house. My money, my rules.

If I have to spend some money in buying a radon detector, Geiger counter and EMF meter to minimize risk, who cares. It’s peanuts to the cost of the house and not even pocket lint to the safety of my family.

I’m not sure a Geiger counter will do you much good. It detects beta and gamma radiation. Radon emits alpha particles. I’m sure there’s something specific for alpha, though. IIRC, the problem is that it collects in low areas over time, so you might not find out about it until after your house is built.

Also, why are you concerned about EMF? Unless the frequencies are high enough to be ionizing (e.g., ultraviolet), it’s not going to do you any harm. All the stuff about people being sensitive to EMF is completely bogus; there’s zero scientific evidence for it.

Maybe all that glass is giving off more radiation than you are expecting?
But, probably not in harmful quantities. Only if you’ve got a radioactive amulet hanging around your neck. :wink:

[quote=WalkIntoTheLight]

Radon AND Geiger counter.

From what i was reading from several sources, the simplest way to deal with radon is to have a gravel bed and seal the concrete footings and pads with overlapping layers of thick polyethylene. Also put in place a 3” vent from under the basement pad to the roof. Normally, the weeping tiles around the entire perimeter act as a vent. In case its not enough, then the force vent through the roof. The fan only needs to come on a few hours a week.

Does that sound expensive when built into a custom home? Yet these “custom builders” either laughed or told me it was several thousand.

As for EMF, don’t agree and it is again, very cheap to do. Plus 5G will add big time to EMFs.

A few thousand dollars is pocket lint.

Please, let’s not argue about EMF effects here.
There’s ample reading to be done on the subject — elsewhere.

Whatever you believe, you can find someone supporting the belief on the Internets, so read outside your filter bubble, because Google shows you more and more of whatever you tell them you like to hear.

For radon, you can find your county’s level online — ’oogle radon county maps — and you can buy a test kit in a sealed package that you open and place in your crawlspace under a plastic sheet, then mail the test kit promptly to a lab that will report how much radon was collected. There are several other kinds of tests available as well.

I’m in an elevated zone. Which “authorities” say passive plastic shielding is “good enough”. For a few hundred, one can add active too. Seriously stupid not to do it.

As for EMF, let’s agree to disagree.

Meanwhile…….I need some of that glow in the dark tape to seal the polyethalene……lol