This is good, cheap glow tape-Mark flashlights to find in the dark

The silicone I use is this stuff which is more of a liquid before it sets, doesn’t have that acrid smell to it and sets relatively soft.
Yeah the orange & red colours are the worst performers, if you considered using trits then use those, can’t beat the vials.
Glow tape is nice for an afterglow but fairly short lived.

Maybe they faded…
Anyway thanks because no matter what was there I’m sure it was superb. :wink:

I finally saw what was happening in this gif. Pretty awesome stuff. I think even cooler than heat reactive glow in the dark. It’d be kind of cool to have caution hot text and/or symbol reveal itself when it gets hot

CRX, since you said that:

If you’re trying to get the most heat glow from your lights, then why didn’t you mix the glow powder with UV setting glue instead of the acrylic base?

I could try that too but didn’t at the time for two reasons, the acrylic base is supposed to be made for the glow powder and the UV glue can be messy.

I was hoping for the white base to work well as it is painted on and hardens by itself, whereas the UV glue mix would need applied then hardened with UV light, a bit more tricky to do.

Might try it later.

UV setting glue probably would absorb UV light that you’d prefer to have penetrate the glue to reach the
GITD material.

But he already showed that it worked better than the acrylic base, so…

You say “white base”. Is it actually colored white or is it mostly clear with a white “haze” to it, or what? Is there a clear acrylic base you could use? Sorry, I’m ignorant about acrylic. :person_facepalming:

Hmm, I just looked it up for curiosity’s sake. There is such a thing as clear base. It’s a bit of a specialty or “premium” product. But you can get it cheaply by buying “glitter paint” and straining the glitter out. Here’s an Instructable. :smiley:

Yeah.

The base is a thick white fluid which I was surprised about, not really transparent at all which may in fact hinder light absorption in thicker layers?

The powder & base were bought together as a small sample package.

I dunno. One site I ran across said that acrylic base can look white while it’s wet and still dry clear (like Elmer’s school glue?) but then I kept looking and saw that clear base is a thing, so I’m confused. Maybe try the straining glitter paint trick and see if there is a difference in the two bases when they dry?

I have some of the LIT, as well as several other powders from the Stuart Semple collection. If I get the chance, I’ll pick up some glitter paint and try it myself. I never bought any base to go with mine, so I need some anyway.

YOU WANT ME TO SPEND MORE MUNY!? :smiley:

This stuff dries in white.
Logic to me says this would be a good undercoat then mix the GITD powder with a clear medium and apply on top.
I’m sure there is some clear nail varnish kicking around here somewhere…

After checking their website it does say mix 2.5 parts powder to 1 parts water then stir into 1 part superbase, so that would thin it out. Didn’t see that before.

Clear nail varnish…

NOW yer thinkin! :wink:

I got 2oz of this several months back. Green Glow in the Dark Powder | Brightest Glow Powder
Supposed to be good stuff, or so they say. When I shine a UV light on it, it glows brighter than any glow-in-the-dark stuff I have seen, looks radioactive.
CRX, so it looks like the best carrier is the UV glue. Is that your preference or is there something better.
I have had this stuff for awhile, I’d like try to give some of your ideas a try. I have seen some very cool looking lights come from you.

The tests I did were mostly for a quick comparison, a big consideration would be the charge time and type of light used.
I used an M43 on turbo for around one minute to charge these in the results I posted earlier, a better way would be a more prolonged charge time in natural or UV light to see more true comparison results.
Will do when I have more time but I believe the powder mixed with a clear medium applied on top of a white or reflective surface would be best.

thermochromic is my word of the day!:wink:

so, is my cat safe?:

Dubious :smiley:

Indubitably… LOL!

fwiw, I never charge those glowrings, it makes them unnecessarily bright when I first go to bed

since I dont precharge the glowrings
I cant see the dim glow, when I first go to bed,

but because mine are SleepChromic, they get brighter while I sleep
so
I can see the glow, and locate the lights easily, after Ive been sleeping
no need to charge the glow rings, they work all by themselves,
as if by magic

And maybe in a few years we will have this for cheap to coat the external of our flashlight : Lumilor

Very cool! Wow… TRON is made into reality. Regulatory traffic policies are going to have to catch up with this… can you imagine people riding around on motorcycles and cars with a light show going on?
Anyway, if they can make this in a tape form that can be attached to a power source… you could effectively do this in minimal amounts without spending crazy money, especially on a flashlight already wired up for auxiliary lighting.