This new flashlight at DX looks very similar to Nitecore EA4,

a powerful drill i would imagine discharges pretty fast under load. the B&D packs we disassembled earlier this year had a 40a fuse in them

ah, well, that is some protection then

Sorry, but your “facts” are wrong. They do monitor the voltage of the cells during discharge and will cut off the entire pack if one of the cells gets too low to prevent any cells from being over discharged. Yes, the cells can get out of balance while discharging, but you can’t discharge a cell to the point of damage. That’s something a light with a 2S/2P cell configuration can’t do when unprotected cells are used in it.

Well, drills don’t use normal Li-Ion cells they use cells with a safer chemistry.

What about the low voltage protection on the driver? I know that's an assumption and I will know for sure when I get this light, but most modern drivers made for Li-ions have a low voltage cut out, or at least they will drop to low mode and flash.

For a 1S light that works okay. For a 2S light it doesn’t necessarily work if the cells discharge unevenly. You can have the light cutoff at 5.6V, but that could be one battery at 3.2V and one at 2.4V.

Oh, I don’t have any cordless drills. Do they typically use NiCd?

not these days. they usually use a high drain lithium cell. someone can correct me if im wrong

so what this boils down to is the same old use good protected cells in a series set up.

Something that is always preached both on here and elsewhere.

I fail to see why such an issue is being made of this, dont like the cell configuration, dont buy the light, simple really.

Just shows to go ya :wink: how the same myths & arguments never quite go away….

I think it is fair to say pretty much all equipment that use multicell battery packs have more advanced monitoring than this light.

Many cordless drills use Li Ion now, the high drain variety. They can drain a pack in a very short time. I cannot confirm if they monitor individual cells on discharge, but I would have expected it to be.
In any case, just be careful with lithium cells, series, single, parallel, protected or not. They all have destructive potential.

Well, DX must have listened. They shipped my order out this morning! One day turn around, they read what I sent and put the order out today. Good deal. Now if I can hold on till the light gets here, before tearing down the EA4W... Undecided

Wow, did you order anything else from them or just this light? I wonder if I’m just ordering too much for one order.

I ordered two different lights. It's probably not you. The reason I stopped using DX was because of their long, extra long, lead time on orders and because even though something is not in stock and DX can't even get it, they will still leave the item up there. I think if they were able to maintain consistency in filling orders and consistency in having what is listed actually in stock, DX would be a great place to buy from.

What I don't understand with these places that have so much inventory, don't have their system set to show how many are in stock real time, like many other big sellers do.

Sorry for taking this off topic. OL can you raz them up for me. 7 days waiting and there waiting on there supplier. This item was advertised in there 50% off to Aus. Cheeky little buggers they are. |(

I guess everyone just needs to tell them that you are going to review the light and if they ship fast, you might say something nice about them in the review. Seems to work and whatever works, works for me.

They have been shipping fast lately. I ordered 3 hard cases and some grimlock caribiners on the 6th. They shipped on the 8th and arrived on the 18th. :)

DX was not too slow on my previous 2-3 orders. On average they ship about a week from the order.