Thorfire TG06 AA or 14500

I could not resist the BG deal for $10.72, code: dcc89c. Great deal from a known source (at least known for something?) Smile.

Finally got in the TG06 from BG - just gotta say Wow!! This one is, I guess, the new version. Loads of little changes in the body/finish, it's a little longer actually, comes with the black boot installed but has the green, orange and blue cap, as well as a spare switch.

Differences:

• old version reflector: OP, new: SMO
  • old version XP-G2 LED: cool white, new: neutral very nice tint
  • old version switch: reverse clicky, new: fwd clicky (tactical)
  • old version modes: starts lo, new: starts hi
  • old version modes: lo->hi->med, new: lo->med->hi
  • old version driver: 0.95A, new: 2.2A (both on same cell - WindyFire 14500)
  • not sure, but looks like the new version reflector is more shallow, LED hole definitely bigger

#'s on new version, lumens: 493 @start, 439 @30 secs, throw: 6.75 kcd (measured at 5m)

Gotta say just bout every change is an improvement - the neutral combined with the SMO is awesome - nice tight hot spot. Manual is still on the old version, and the BG TG06 page listing is on the old version as well. I'm not even sure if I should mod this one. Wut?? Well, not right away...

China is out of stock, and think the coupon code only worked on China. Who knows what's in the next batch, and who knows if the US is the "good" new version?

Thanks for posting the code and the info on the new version vs the old, very helpful as I’ve been considering this for a while but was unsure which version I would receive. They really made a lot of improvements!

-

So the mode order on the new version is Hi~~Med~~>Lo?

-
The code still works today but not in the USA warehouse. Expected restock (CN warehouse) is 1st January 2016

Mode order on new version is Lo->Med->Hi, but always starts at Hi. I posted a review at BangGood on it. Shame the manufacturer has not made it clear about the changes - they should have changed/marked it as a rev2, TG06+, or something, and also updated the manual.

Tom, is there a Star or something that can be soldered to fix that, so that it starts in low?

Thanks,
-Chuck

Haven't looked at it yet, but very doubtful - they would have to a have a solder pt/jumper clearly documented on the PCB board some how. Could be considered a con to start in Hi for sure.

For power switch UI's, I much prefer the "luxdrv" style of mode changing, where mode changing always starts at the lowest mode, then increments up. I think this is the best way to do it and I think you would prefer this??

You can still have mode memory, even OTC mode memory and use this method - that's what I do now in my power switch firmware. Dr Jones calls it "short cycle memory". I first heard/saw it in luxdrv, but Dr Jones credits BLFer 'sixty545' here in the OP: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/4672 for first bringing it up in post #254 here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/744.

My favorite power/tail switch UI is 3-4 mode levels from lowest to hi, optionally followed by strobe and/or battery monitoring.beacon, using OTC mode memory. This way you don't have to click thru the blinkies, but you still can have them. Any more modes is getting into a lot of clicks. Using off timing to act as a 2nd trigger can be done, but can also be vulnerable to heat issues effecting the Off Time Cap, like in TK's BLF A6 - not always though, depends on components, calibration, etc.

Lot of history here, to say the least... We really need to credit Tido going back to 2010 I believe with starting this ATTiny13A programming. This opening post started it all:

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/744

Btw, I just bought two TG06's at Banggood, the dcc89c code still works!

I bought one yesterday with this code. Hoping it is also the “new” version.

c & p directly from SD->
ThorFire TG06 Tactical Flashlight CREE XP-G2 LED Mini EDC Torch Cap Light $9 + Free shipping with Prime or on orders over $35
thorfiredirect via Amazon.com [amazon.com] has ThorFire TG06 Tactical LED Flashlight CREE XP-G2 LED Mini EDC Torch Cap Light for $18.69 – $9.69 w/ promotional code KRWCYV6C = $9. Free shipping with Prime or on orders over $35

alphazeta - nice find on that promo code! I tried ordering multiple though and took off only $9 off the entire qty ordered, not per piece. Wonder if I can order 12 individually, each with the discount... --> Update: No, tried it - took first order, would not take 2nd

At least the description and pictures exactly matches what I got and found - they nailed it. Like you said, this is ThorFire direct and they even apologize about the out-of-date manual. Interesting...

Dang - if BG had these in stock in CN now, I'd buy like 14 of them with expedited shipping (under $4) for xmas gifts. Total would be $147 with the coupon code dcc89c. If only in stock...

I ordered one for 9 bucks too!

I ordered the Banggood one (from China) last month, and got the Green switch boot:(

Not all bad though, as at least the old model starts on low :slight_smile:

Thanks Tom for all the good info!

Thanks, alphazeta!

-Chuck

Mine was ordered Nov 7th, shipped Nov 8th and I got the new one... Weird. Least the Amazon deal loks like it's the new one guaranteed, well almost guaranteed.

Yeah - It is sold by Thorfire, ‘Fulfilled’ by Amazon, so that means that Thorfire has stock sitting in an Amazon warehouse, somewhere;-)

Should be the latest version, for sure! :wink:

My stats for the Banggood order are:

Ordered: Nov 08 2015

Received: Nov 20 2015

I bought their 1st level (cheap) upgrade shipping… What was it called? - Priority Mail Direct??? - Total cost was 12 bucks.

Received the Old model on that one, but I’m still pleased - Except for the crappy UI (Low - High - Med), it seems much like a AA/14500 Convoy, if there were such a thing - Simon? Will you ever consider this?

Thanks,
-Chuck

For 9 bux, you can’t go wrong… Will I leave it alone, no. I really hate that it starts on high, and has no memory! This rules it out as a nightstand light. I love the feel of it, it is a baby S2! I really wish Simon would introduce a Convoy 1AA/14500 light. The finish is great, makes my third Thorfire light and for stock lights I am impressed.

What do I think it needs??? It will get a new driver to reverse the mode order, did I mention that I really hate H/M/L no memory lights? It will also get something like a 3C or 4D emitter, when I get one in. It may also get a lighted tailcap, I really like that feature! Once again, would have been perfect if the order had been L/M/H. Can’t find any hidden modes and there are no solder points on the bottom of the driver. It has a 16.59mm tail switch board and what appears to be a 15.5mm driver. The light came with 3 extra switch boots, dark blue, green and orange. Also a couple of small o-rings, not sure where they go and 1 larger GITD o-ring that I assume is for body decoration. I had to use it on the head, when I unscrewed it the black o-ring fell apart! It also came with an extra lens, a complete switch assembly and a lanyard. I do wish it was a reverse clicky as well.

I will have to have one more of these! I like tube lights and with the advent of good drivers the AA form factor lights have a high enough output to work for me. BTW, 1.75 amps of full 1900mAh eneloop, 1.95 amps on high with Richard’s Windyfire batteries and would not turn on with an Xtar protected 14500? I am not sure why it would not turn on… I thought maybe compression since the Xtar is a little longer and tried to to an amp draw test without the tailcap and it still would not turn on??? Strange… I forgot to mention the beam is awesome, no rings and a very round and even hotspot!

With the SMO reflector, the beam is much tighter than the Xtar WK41 and the light is much brighter than the WK41 with the same Windyfire battery. I really do not like the side switch on the Windyfire… anyone want to trade?

Thanks for reading, Matt

Any source for (AA compatible) drivers? I know about the 15mm driver at Mtn but that is 14500 only.

Matt - My "new" version from BG is definitely L/M/H order. Your new one is H/M/L?

Gunga - no sorry, decent low voltage boost drivers are rare. I think this TG06 is quite unusual, but I'm afraid it's gonna fry in regular use with these high amps - we'll see.

The more I read into the Amazon page, written by the ThorFire guy himself it looks like, the more I think he over-reacted to customer requests of changes. Maybe what happened is for 80% wanting the light to start in lo, and 20% wanting it to start in hi, some of the 20% complained, but you will hear nothing from the majority that prefer it the way it is.

Does anyone know if this light has low voltage protection?

And yes H/M/L and I hate that!

Matt

Dang, that's weird then. Two variations of the new version... Not sure bout the LVP - would have to test it.

Testing now.

I ran mine on a 14500 until it was fairly dim, in medium mode. It may have stepped down, or just gotten very low and I am not sure which was the case. But, I measured the battery and found it to only have 2.56 volts left. So, I am making the assumption that it has no LVP!

Now the next question, why will an Xtar protected battery not work in the light? It does not trip the protection, I can pull it out and put it in another light and it is fine!

Any ideas???

Matt