Thorfire TG18 mini review.

I recently received this light from Banggood.

It caught my eye because the styling was clean and simple and it was a XP-G2 light for $4.99. That’s right, $4.99 ($4.59 with BLF code). A few days after I ordered it Bangood more than trebled the price to the current $17.58. :open_mouth: It wasn’t a flash sale or special deal, $4.99 was the regular price and had been for several weeks. So I started out reviewing a $5 light but had to re-think my conclusions in light of the new price. So, is it worth $17.58?
In a word, No.
Not least because despite what it says on Banggood, and on the box, and in the manual (yes, a manual - in English!), the LED is NOT XP-G2 but XP-E2. |(
Thorfire clearly don’t know their Gs from their Es. I have contacted Banggood about this and await a reply.
The light itself is more or less identical to the Palight V5 that was reviewed by Pregulla a couple of years ago, so that review pretty well covers this light as well.

I’m beginning to suspect that there are actually only a handful of torch manufacturers in China, each churning out several different brands. The box, manual and the light itself are branded Thorfire but all warranty issues and enquiries are directed to eachine.com. The tail switch is branded Palight, the driver is branded Luckysun whilst the LED gasket and switch cap are branded Nico. The overall impression is a light that has been cobbled together from the spare parts bin.

The manual states that the driver is 5 mode, but like other Luckysun drivers it’s actually 6 mode with turbo sandwiched between strobe and sos, and no memory. Yuk. :Sp
There’s PWM in all modes except turbo but thankfully the frequency is high and it’s not really noticeable.
OK, simple enough job to swap out the driver, right? Well, actually no. The driver is held in by a brass ring but it’s not threaded, just a very very tight push fit and so far it has resisted all my attempts to shift it.
(For photos see Pregulla’s review and customer photos on Banggood.)
Likewise you’ll notice the lack of a tail cap - the switch housing also seems to be a very tight push fit into the end of the body with no obvious means of extraction other than attacking it with a 2lb hammer (and we all know how that’s going to end). The button surround has been left as bare aluminium which, to my eyes, rather cheapens the appearance of the tail end. It looks like they missed a bit with the anodizing. The switch itself has a rather strong spring, making it hard to press and very noisy. Sounds and feels cheap.
Otherwise the finish is good and a nice gunmetal grey rather than the usual black. No clip or lanyard are supplied.

So, any other good points? Yes. It’s very bright on turbo and if you like throwers, you will like this light. The hotspot is sharply focused and just keeps on going and going. The beam is pencil-thin up close though. In misty conditions it’s like walking around with a lightsaber.
The body threads are anodized so the switch can be locked out by a quarter turn of the head. You can also use the head as a twisty switch to change modes and turn it on and off. With a light this size this actually works very well and is much quicker and easier than using the tail switch (a lot quieter too!)

Conclusion: At the original price of $5 it’s excellent value, even with the wrong emitter. At $17? Unless you just love the minimalist styling, no way, there are much better lights out there for that sort of money.

Hi!

I also bought this for 4.99$ and ot it some days ago (the “Not XP-G2!!!” Review is from me)

Well made light, but well… the XP-E2 is not what I expected nor what I wanted.
For 5$ - as you said - a good flashlight, but for 17.xx$? Buy yourself a Convoy or whatever.

I read that review and thought ‘that’s someone who knows what they are talking about, must be a BLF member’. :slight_smile:
Did you complain to Banggood? They offered me a lousy 80 points as compensation. In other words, ‘get lost’.

Got Lucky!
They both came yesterday and the box seems to have an extra label on top of the original.
Both have the XP-G2 and throw very well.
Did quick amp draw test and it matched Pregulla’s readings with Turbo right at 1.00 amp.
Real nice low as well.

I like it and at $5 I love it, just wish I ordered more.
Now that I see the picture of the driver it looks like those 2R0 resistors need a friend J)

Later,
Keith

Are you sure they are G2s? If so you are very lucky indeed as Banggood have just changed the specs to E2.
(and lowered the price slightly).

If you do any driver mods let us know how they turn out - and how you got the driver out in the first place!
Pregulla got his out so it must be possible but so far all I’ve managed to do is damage the driver and retaining ring. :frowning:

Hi

I tested it a moment ago - the reflector works fine with a XG-G2.

I will change the LEDs tomorrow

And because I have a XP-G2 on DTP, I will build in a 2.8A driver… will be a nice small light.

My mistake, I thought the OP was saying it was the old Green XP-E, not the XP-E2 version, I saw silver on the emitter of my lights when they came and my mind went New version of XP-G2.
Sorry for the confusion, I just did not read it right.
Sucker does throw though with whatever emitter is in it. Still happy with them.

As far as the driver, yeah, I don’t understand what Pregulla was saying in his review either about the pill being tight, but the driver is not threaded so….
I have no idea. Hopefully he can shed some light as I do not want to destroy the driver trying to get it out.

Later,
Wrong Keith

Managed to extract the driver this evening. Where I was going wrong was not realising that the driver is actually soldered to the retaining ring on the underside. I was trying to prise the ring off the driver. No wonder it wouldn’t budge. Bit of an odd way of doing things if you ask me.

received mine yesterday ,for 5$ very good flashlight ,as the rest thorfire its dificult to remove the driver + the switch i didnt find a way to open it in case you need to replace it,the body is well anodized and thick.the reflector is deep and make it good thrower ,i just added the xpe2 on a sinkpad for now.