Thorfire VG-10 (1x18650)(XM-L2) Review(discount code inside)

well done!

beautiful pictures!

if one is interested to save 13 $ on that light: i posted a Code in my thread on 4.3.2015 :wink:

Just had my VG-10 out for a walk last night, great flashlight for the money, love the beam pattern and the ultra low moonlight.
Great pictures.
Thanks!

Keith

Thanks for the great review, and I really like the looks of this light!

Btw, I have seen this driver (the battery side at least) only once before: it seems the same one that went into the BLF custom X6. I thought it was especially developed (by EE?, you never know over there) for the X6 group buy, but apparently it is spreading!

great review as always. I wouldn’t mind seeing a GB on this light, see if we can get some BLF flavor added to it.

Beautiful pictures and a very thorough review. I have not had a “noisy” light before and the 3.8khz may be at a level where it will not bother me, thanks for the heads up on the frequencies.

Thank you for the comments!

Here is the head of the VG10 disassembled.
The bezel was not hard to unscrew.

The anti-reflective coated glass.(I didn't clean it)

From what I see,without removing the LED board,it sits on the anodized surface.
The white stuff under the board is a thermal grease,not glue.
Aluminum LED board.
Looking at the LED centering pad-I think it is too high and may block some of the side light.
I am trying to take out the driver,but with no success.I tried with a rubber pad,but nothing moves.
Any idea/advise on how is this ring mounted? It will be hard to remove it,if it is just pressed down.
A picture of the moon,I took few nights ago. :)
Just 300mm(35mm eq) x 2 times digital zoom.

I used cooling spray (liquid air) to freeze the brass ring and then it came out “easy”
my review

Thanks M4D M4X.
So,it really is just wedged. :expressionless:
Not good for repeatedly disassembling.
I don’t have a cooling spray;may try to freeze it in the freezer.

the trick with the cooling spray is that the ring gets cold and shrinks a bit before the head does…

Yes,I know that,just hope,if both materials have a different shrink factor,this may help.
Thanks

Here it is,with the help of pliers and an ice cube. 8)

17mm driver board.

nice macros

Wow, nice ‘ice cube trick’ you got there. Did you simply apply the ice on the brass ring and how long did you wait for it before you were able to remove it?

Yes,I applied the ice on the brass ring. The heat transfer between the ring and the aluminum is extremely fast,so I tried to keep the head warm.
I can’t confirm that the ice really helped,because I did not tried to remove the ring without cooling it.
Actually the ring does not stay as deep as I expected,so it just may need good pliers,to come out.

Now I am trying to fix the noise coming from the driver. I will add one or two layers of nail polish on the coil and will add some sealing foam,to see if this will fix the problem.
I like this flashlight and really want to use it on all modes.
Edit: I added a layer of nail polish and pulled the coil,not to touch the other components on the board.
I found that half of the noise is coming from the switch-probably it’s vibrating. Tightening the tailcap retaining ring reduced the noise.
Now I can here the high frequency “sound” only on medium mode,but it’s much weaker.

I am surprised to see the large coil… is that a buck driver? I am considering adding a FET driver and a good copper mounted LED. I do really like the form factor of this little light.

Matt

I believe it is.
Some measurements.
Current draw on Max mode:
1x18650 I=2.28A 720Lm (initial output with freshly charged Sanyo 2600)
2x18500 I=1.45A 800Lm (initial output)

(I don’t have 18350 for test)

two CR123A batteries not 2 18500’s?

:slight_smile: I don’t have two 18350,so I tested the VG10 with two 18500,without using the tailcap.

Nice review. I almost bought one of these a while back. I’m glad I didn’t… I wouldn’t be happy with a press fit retaining ring…

Your photos are very nice.

It seems that much has changed on the most recent versions of this light. The driver is different (see pic) and I don’t notice any buzzing/PWM noise on any of the modes. But I don’t claim to have perfect hearing either. :slight_smile: