thoughts and observations about form factor

This is very close to what you want.
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1699/10002364/1213104-convoy-l2-cree-xm-l-t6-3c-2-group-35-mode-led-flas
I also like the 2 side by side form factor.

Wow! You nailed it! There you go Gords! (Is that really a 68mm bezel diameter?)

-Garry

It’s certainly close, it wouldn’t take that much modding, I like the ld-29 drivers too, its just too close to the torchlite, and that will be running an mtg-2 @5a in the not too distant future….

I do however like the option of 1*26650, it should be noted that the output drops to 2.6a on one cell, I don’t think they mention that in the spec, they do here.

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/ld29-28a-12-cell-circuit-board-p-416.html

Thanks for the heads up though, one of those convoys may yet be in the future if I find I’m not so keen on the mtg-2.

I should say, the torchlite is damm hard to beat, it’s a real good host and should be snapped up before they become unavailable.

Where'd you get that torchlite?

-Garry

Here you go Garry, it’ll give you an idea…

NOW 70% OFF COUPON!! DIY TorchLite 2x26650 XM-L, SST-90, SST-50 etc Host! I checked last weekend as another member was interested and I could still process an order.

I’d happily run an xm-l on copper board at 5a in this thing, its seriously hefty, but well balanced, very comfortable to carry. Everything feels heavy duty on it, I bet the heads almost the weight of an empty zy-t08…. It’s strange I found it more secure in a loose pocket than the stl-v6. I’d certainly not worry about smashing it over the head of an intruder, other than cleaning the blood stains off it…. :bigsmile:

Ahh, ok I remember that thread. Even at 50% off that's a steep price for a host.

-Garry

Agreed, it cost me about £27 ( I think) then got hit for customs so another 11 quid, the mtg-2 is about a tenner, the 5a driver is over a tenner, I’m looking at 60 quid or so, on the xm-l set up, say a tenner for the driver and emitter.

That said, as I say, I’m seriously ham stringing it at 2.9a, the host is built to take so much more. It’s reflected in the quality of the host, which is reflected in the price. I’d never of paid $70 - $80, but at the price, for a soon to be very rare light, I don’t find it a problem.

Ok, I’m an addict, I hold my hands up…I can’t wait to get that big ’ol emitter in there with a kick ass driver, then hit the magic button for the first time :bigsmile:

I do see this host

http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1151

As having potential, I have two mtg-2’s on the way too……

Then there's this one a little cheaper. Smaller head though.

I must say though, you lost me with all that British currency - can you translate to US dollars please :) .

-Garry

I could, it’d scare you though…

A quid is 1.57 dollars at the moment

Host $37
Emitter $15 ish
Driver $15 ish
Customs $14.50 ish

I’ve looked at that host, but figured I already have an m10…

That’s all a rough approximation, and I’ve been on the beer so its probably out. I know I quoted £85 to build and ship one to a UK member, he decided to leave it, can’t say I blame him, to me, that’s expensive for a light.

I know its not available for sale but this was not a hard mod. It started life as a HD2010. It has a stupid 3 mode driver in it at the moment that does not run to spec. High is 6 amps, med is 5 amps and low is sensible. The driver is coming out when I get time.

That’d certainly do it mrsdnf. I have a feeling I’d have to go custom to get exactly what I want, even if its just a driver/emitter swap on a stock light. I think the smallsun zy-t16 is the one I had in mind off the top of my head.

Looks good gords. The Small Sun I tested recently had a similar sized head. The reflector in it was identical to the HD2010. This may be the same also. Its a shame you cant see under the LED to see if its hollow.

I could just ask Richie….I also have to ask myself how many similar style lights do I need? Mrs gords is not a happy bunny at the moment. :frowning:

Awaits Gords ‘collection rationalisation’ fire sale next Thursday

As a Single chimp I’ll have spare cash as I don’t have to waste it at Clintons. :wink:

If you are considering the ZY-T16 with a driver swap then I can’t fathom why the Convoy L2 doesn’t appeal to you. I bet it’s twice the quality (at least!) with a more solid, hefty build, HA3 anodizing, cleaner design…you name it. It’s a pricier light but one on my short list for a larger thrower. Seems to me it’s a far better light than the ZY-T16 and I’m a real fan of some of the Small Sun torches.

It’s not so much I’m considering it as its the one I’d already seen, if you get my meaning. I just couldn’t remember the designation till I saw it mentioned in another thread.

I think the thing to do is build up the mtg-2, see how I like that and go from there. :bigsmile:

We would all like to see this.

Richies post #225 on this thread shows what I’m expecting

If you click on the 225 itself you can then direct link to that post. Cheers.

Not on a phone you can’t :wink: