Thoughts/Direction on a strong red hunting light

Awesome thanks guys! Would like 4 to 6 lights for us so may try some different ones. Thanks again

The driver will determine the run time. If it draws 1 amp and you use a 3000mah battery you get roughly 3 hours of light. If it draws 3 amps you get roughly 1 hour of light. 1.5a = 2 hrs.
With the amount of current that these lights draw, I would say the sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mah might give you the best capacity for performance.

the brynitte or the hs 802 with the red xpe2 from int.outdoor (dedome) and the driver 1.5- 2 amp.

Is this the battery I would need for this convoy C8 setup? NCR18650PF got this # from the MTNelectronics site

I am placing my order right now and am going to build 2 a gun light and a hand held scan light.

Thanks

I don’t use protected batteries, but they are a bit safer, especially if you’re new to lithium ion batteries. For protected cells, yes, these are what Richard (the owner of MtnE) recommends.

If you don’t care about the additional protection and would rather get the longest runtimes, you could go with a Samsung 35E or Sanyo NCR18650GA. Both are very good cells. There are protected variants, but I don’t know if they would fit.

I built a Trustfire X9 Red Hunting light XP-E2 @2.28amps guppydrv. UI

I made a custom pill out of copper for a 26mm Maxtoch XP board. Bored the stock pill and pressed fit a copper shouldered pill into it. Modified the reflector slightly, removed the emitter stand off and now the reflector sits flat on the 26mm board, the reason for the custom pill, to fit the 26mm board so the leads would clear the lowered reflector and to raise the board up so the reflector/bezel ring would tighten up, it has quite a tight spot now, also fit a Fast to Gun quad rail quick mount to it.

I have a friend testing it out this weekend, he lives out in the country were it’s totally black out at night, checking distances with a laser range finder thru a glass and by eye, he has a backyard that is 500yards to his tree line, now I’m just waiting on feed back, possibly a few pictures?

https://www.trustfire.com/en/led-flashlight/lantern-x9-1x-cree-xm-l-t6-1000-lumens-5-modes.html

The Trustfire X9 is a really sweet light for the money, excellent reflector quality, I was really impressed with it!

KawiBoy1428 that X9 looks nice… If you dont’ mind share your friends review… I am going to do 2 more after I get these finished and am curious about that one. I got my order today. Now I need to do a little more research and reading to find some info. Hoping to get the Convoy C and the UF1504. under way.

That X9 does look interesting. Too bad about the pill situation though. Have any build pics?

No it didn’t warrant build pics at the time, I did it at work during breaks, the only time I can use the Mill or Lathe.

Does it matter which two 7135 chips to remove?

Nope…I remove the 2 next to each other on the spring side.

I do a LOT of fox hunting with flashlights.

I’ve built a few - C8’s, C10’s, modded a Solarforce M3 with red and green pills (regular P60 pills will work.), Brinyte S28.

C8’s and smaller lights have limited range.

The Brinyte B158 gives the longest range IMO and works great as a rifle mounted light and of course the pills can be swapped quickly and easily.

The Uniquefire 1508 can use a 75mm head, and has a similar pill setup, but isn’t really a full flood-throw light like the B158.

TBH I most often use a green light for scanning as it goes further and gives great eyeshine return.

I received and reviewed the Odepro KL52 and I must say I’m impressed with that light!
It is a zoomie that has different modules.
The red Module has 1 mode (High) and Zoomed Out it reaches +/- 30-40m distance, while fully zoomed it’s beam reaches more that 120m.

I don’t know if that is interesting for jnag0207 but this is my contribution.

Also, it has an interchangeable modulegreen light with the same specs, another with IR850 and a XML2 module with 5 modes (L-M-H-STR-SOS).

Check in my signature for some pictures if you wanna take a look! :+1:

Odepro KL52 is essentially a rebranded Brinyte B158B, which itself is B158 without the big lugs around the front of the battery tube.

Didn’t know that, thank you for the info gchart :+1:

Correct. Seems like the Odepro branded ones are priced somewhat higher….

I got my convoy c8 light assembled as it was pretty simply. I had a hold up with the UF1504 host. The wrong size pill was shipped but I got the correct one tonight. I have a question about mounting the driver to the base of the aluminum pill. There is a brass ring inserted into the pill and the driver fits in that. Does the driver just loosely fit in that ring? and the pressure from the battery holds it in place? thanks

The brass ring is pressed fit to the aluminum pill to assist in soldering the driver (-) ground to it.

Thanks KawiBoy1428… Good thing I asked. Now off to do a little searching how this is done.

Just make sure you scuff the brass ring up with scotch-brite pad or sandpaper, you want to clean it of any oxidation. Use a little flux too, it helps big time. Some modders solder just 2 points across from each other, or 4 points, and some solder the whole edge? Depends on the driver and available space. Start small, mess up small! :wink:

Be careful not to Overheat the driver while your at it.