Thread lubricant

What grease is reccomended for the threads. Ive got about 10 lights that i need to service.

Vaseline. It’s safe on everything, including skin, o rings etc. It’s mineral oil based with no additives to the oil (think baby oil).

No-Ox-Id.

Been using it for 12 years. It’s so safe you can use it on Delicatessen meat slicers… Good for battery terminals, squeaky doors Etc

I heard something comparable to this several times. I definitely wouldn’t use vaseline.

Nyogel.

2 Thanks

I use Super Lube.

2 Thanks

Super Lube +1

nitecore silicone grease is expensive and small in volume, in auto stores you can find it cheaper and in a larger jar

+1

Altough it is in small volume, you really don’t need much for each light.

I bought that little jar of Nitecore SG7 when I got infected. It’s still not empty. No need for a bigger one.

1 Thank

Xtar flashlight grease.
It is cheap and good quality.

Nyogel 760

@TimMc . Where is that photo from? I recently bought some 760G (BTW, So far I like it. Great for Ti threads).
The only problem is the size of the tube. Probably enough for more than a lifetime of use for flashlights. The pic looks like it has a smaller tube. But I can’t read it. Several people in other threads have asked about getting a smaller amount.

It’s a 5ml (edit: 25ml) tube of nyogel from Armytek. It’s about the same volume as a 21700 cell.

I found it tricky to find small quantities of nyogel but I noticed that Armytek have it. When Armytek reached out to see if I would be interested in collaborating, I asked for the C2 Pro Max Warm for review and this tube of nyogel.

Raw aluminum threads get really dirty…

I went down the rabbit hole of flashlight lubricants and ended up buying:
Nitecore SG7
Superlube oil
Superlube grease

And now I have nyogel.

2 Thanks

Thanks. Smallest I found on the Nyogel was 50 grams. Way too much for my use. But I bought it to try.
I do like it. I have to say it is the best I found for Titanium threads. I just recently got it, so only time will tell how it works over time.

Good to know that Amytek has small tubes. Maybe @dmenezes may be interested in this.

Incidentally, there is a product called Motorcraft XG-12 that appears to be identical. Considerably cheaper by volume, but an even larger 85 gram tube. If one is going to use a lot of this, that is worth looking at.

I have all of the ones you listed and a few more. I have even tried some specialized (and quite expensive : Militec) gun lubricants.

Actually the stuff I have that is (I think) equivalent to the SG7 is Called Trident Pure Silicon Grease. Much larger container, and cheaper. Made for Diving equipment. I like it, but I have questions about using it with Silicone O-Rings. And it is hard to know what our flashlight O-Rings are made of. Still, recently it has been my go-to. We will see if the Nyogel replaces it.

I also have Krytox which is highly recommended by some… It is fine, but I don’t use it much.

I like the two Superlube products for just their lubrication properties when first applied. They do tend to gum up over time. The grease much worse than the oil… obviously.

So what is best? Bang for the buck, and ease of access, probably the Superlube stuff. If you watch o-ring compatibility and don’t mind cleaning and reapplying occasionally.

The pure silicone is very good to. Nyogel, well I need to use it for a while. I think any of the ones listed would be fine as long as they don’t mess with your o-rings. I haven’t seen that much difference (except as noted).

Nyogel 760G is by far the best one. Ford XG-12 is the same stuff but in a larger tube and usually a bit cheaper.

2 Thanks

Nyogel 760G is my go-to. Ford Motorcraft XG-12 is repackaged 760G, it is cheaper per-gram and might be easier to find.

It’s safe for o-rings and glows under UV (to check if it’s been applied correctly).

A 50g tube lasts forever, I’ve got lots of lights and only gone through half of it.

Thanks for tagging me and yes, I’m interested, 5ml looks like the perfect quantity for my uses. I checked the Armytek page (thanks too @TimMc for bringing it up) but unfortunately they only ship it here (Chile right now) via FedEx/DHL and charge $30 for the shipping – totally negating the quantity saving. Oh well…

If you are in the States Oveready has the 25gr tube

You will likely get many suggestions. I’ve been using Master Plumber faucet & valve grease for quite a while. It resists high temperatures and is water proof. Doesn’t harm O-rings, easy to find, not expensive.