thrower Build with a single cree xm-l2 u2 1a emitter.

Hi I trying to get idea’s for a Host and driver combination to use with my cree XM-L2 U2 1A emitter on a Noctigon star. Longest range possible outta this emitter. Any Host and driver combo ideas would be appreciated.

ZY t13

convoy l2 host

lck led 5a 3 mode driver

UltraFire XL-7003 host
(Don’t know driver room spec)

or
TrustFire SST-80 host
Your XM-L2 U2 1A + stock driver (about 5A)

Not really a host but I’d recommend the HD2010.

Thanks for the input, pok I love that sst80 size reflector but I’m not a big fan of the club style long lights. A reflector like that with either a 3 18650 cell or go up to the 26650 size. But that’s about the head size I’m lookin for. And gords I see your recommending a 5 amp driver, will these emitters handle that? I’m new to modding, this is only my second build. My first was a dedommed UF980L which looks almost exactly like the HD2010 but won’t take the 26650 cells.

Thrunite TN31

Thanks bibihang , but I own a TN31 newest version which has this emitter and I love it. I’d like to build one similar to the TN31 with maybe higher amp driver, and possibly dedommed. I love my TN31 its my favorite thrower so far. Thanks for the input, very much appreciated.

My TrustFire SST-80 stock 61kcd

My TrustFire SST-80 new setup.
I modded spring + - for 2x18650

XM-L2 U2 1C + Stock driver
140kcd±

Stock driver + XM-L2 U2 de-domed + 2x18650
best throw but ugly spot 262kcd

Stock driver + XM-L2 U2 de-domed + 2x18650 + add a piece of copper base 1mm
best spot but has ringing around spot 241kcd

why not try to dedome and boost the current on the tn31? takes no more parts, just some time

The main reason I don’t want to do that is I really like the way this light is stock, and I’m not sure how to boost the amp’s on it. As I said I’m new and very Green to modding, just got in 5 Qlite 3.04 8-7135 chip divers and about 20 extra .380 7135 chips to play with, so far not having very good luck adding 7135’s I’ve ordered a hakko 888D so I’m hoping with better tools, I’ll get better soldering results, my cheapo iron just won’t do for adding chips.

Pok , wow 241kcd now that’s what I’m talking bout, what kind of throw distance are you getting with that last setup. Is it the same or further than the newest version TN31? Stock. Any pic’s of throw?

This one here is pretty good.

Not what I would call a quality host but definitely on the budget side.

The Trustfire T90 looks like it might be fun to dedome and push up the amps, and see what kind of throw could be had? Just a thought.

Hi montanaman, ya as the other members suggest modding the TN31 will change the already good thrower into a beastful thrower, :smiley: and by the way, I use a really cheap $3 soldering iron, which is without any thermal control at all to do all my 7135 stacking soldering job. When I was just started doing this I messed up many 7135 and some drivers, but with more and more practice now I can do it wellwith the same iron, so yeah, the iron itself does not matter that much but practicing is. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Using flux would greatly help on soldering those tiny legs of 7135.

I love modding but I dislike to spend big bucks, that’s why I am still using this cheap soldering iron, so please forgive me.

Hi Pok, a well-modded T08 can give about 210kcd and Tom E has made it, so I think that with the much bigger reflector that your Trustfire has should have much higher lux number? Just a thought though.

I agree I’m not a fan of spending the big bucks, but being a journey level machinist, and very critical of my own work, I’ve found using the right tool for the job a lot of times can make a big difference in the quality of the finished product. This iron I’m using was purchased at NAPA auto parts, its so cheap I’ve already burnt one up. Plus I’d really like to get way more into modding and the soldering iron will be used a lot, so with that in mind I can justify spending the $90.00 for a quality tool.

I read his many reply/threads , Yes my result is lower than him in almost every flashlights I have.
I have no idea.

May or may not interest you but I will throw it out there anyways. Don’t let the price fool you.

Thank you so much 007, Tom E on BLF is the member who told me about the hakko 888D, and after reading a lot of reviews I went ahead and ordered one, but I’d like to get one of these also, $16.51 you can’t go wrong. Thank you for the tip. The iron I have is just worthless making soldering very frustrating, being a perfectionist, seeing the mess I was making with this iron was taking the fun outta this hobby for me.

The shipping will cost more than the soldering station but still under $35 and a steal for that price. Add it to your cart and don’t purchase right away, a pop up will appear offering a little discount, maybe a few bucks, don’t remember exactly.

Edit: discount was .89 cents.