ThruNite T10S vs T10T (perhaps also vs T10 and A1.. :))

Hi,

I’m looking for a small flashlight which will be in my pocket with keys, pen etc at all times. I want something clean like the Jetbeam E3S, and then it seems that the ThruNite T10 is the best bang for the buck, right? Should I care that it does not run on 14500s? I’m mainly going to use it for random dark periods, coming home, looking for stuff under the desk, etc. I like the look of stainless steel or titanium but can not figure out what is more scratch resistant, everyone seems to say something different. Weight does not matter to me, I even like a hefty feel. I’m hoping to find the true answer here…! :slight_smile:

Putting material aside, what would you choose between the T10 or the Archer A1? They seem very similar, which confuses me as they are from the same company.

Thanks!

Bruno

I have the E3S and T10T, great lights - not recommended for Li-Ion cells but i’ve been running both on 14500’s for a while with no problems, about doubles the output which i like - just got to watch the heat build up but that’s not a problem if they’re not switched on for prolonged times on max, even then they have lower modes…

The E3S is a solid feeling light but hard to find now and expensive although there are still some available if you look. I just upgraded mine to an XP-G2 yesterday and noticed it has a copper MCPCB stock.
The T10T is about half the weight of the E3S.

I always go for titanium or stainless steel for pocket carry as it won’t show wear and is much tougher than aluminium, titanium polishes up really well and has that bling factor if you like that sort of thing :wink:
I really don’t like the way aluminium anodizing wears in situations like pocket carry.
Maybe the Thrunite T10S would suit you best.

You might find these threads of interest

PS- Welcome to BLF

Thanks! I’ll definitely take a look at those topics as well. As someone who owns a SS (I know it’s an E3S but I suppose they behave the same) and a Ti model, would you say there is a difference in their scratch resistancy?

I haven’t really carried the T10T for long so i’m not sure about that but i think the E3S would be slightly tougher. The T10T seems to have a finer finish that i just can’t bring myself to shove in a pocket next to keys etc yet.

Based on the way they polish up using various grits of sand paper Titanium is softer. This is based on making and polishing 316 stainless steel and 6AL4V Titanium body jewelry that I have machined. Sanding removes machining marks from the titanium much faster and easier than from the stainless steel. Titanium is also a much poorer heat conductor than stainless steel, worse for LED cooling. Advantages are lighter weight than stainless steel, about 2/3 the weight per given volume , and very high corrosion resistance. Also less likely than nickel containing stainless steel to cause allergic reactions though this should not be a concern for a flashlight. It is a concern for medical implants which is why most are titanium these days.

Thanks, I’m going for SS. After reading the budget light and toning it down topics I stumbled on for example this light; http://www.banggood.com/Mini-Stainless-Steel-XP-G2-R5-4A-Neutral-Color-LED-Flashlight-p-914801.html
I don’t mind paying extra for the Thrunite, but was wondering if you would expect a noticeable difference in quality? (Seeing how Thrunite is also Chinese) There is very little info on the output of the light. Can I assume it is the same as the T10 because ot uses AA on an XP G2?

edit
Or eg this one http://www.dx.com/p/trustfire-f22-stainless-steel-cree-xp-er2-wc-5-mode-220-lumen-memory-led-flashlight-1-aa-1-14500-31731#.U8y-A_mSzko, would it be considerably worse…?

Output is going to be dependent on the driver circuit and possibly on the battery used. No indication whether the light from Banggood can safely use a 14500 battery for instance. You will note that in post 2 above the poster indicates he has run his T10T using a 14500 battery without any problems yet. Just not enough info given in the Banggood listing to tell much.

Thanks for the quick reply! Buy for example the Trustfire I posted from dx does say quite a bit. I have read some good comments on Trustfire although I don’t know in what perspective to view them. Surely, the Thrunite should be better quality…?

Oh wellllll! Thrunite T10S ordered :slight_smile: The doubting was taking too long. I’d say Thrunite is a more respected brand than that trustfire from dx (which might just as well be a fake one as I read), quality control will probably be better. It comes from close to home so is here on time for my travels, is shorter, I didn’t care for the transformers logo on the trustfire, and I didn’t want to keep doubting about this issue all day! =)

Thanks all!

As a new member here look around including in the vendor feedback area and note the number of people who have problems with the Chinese vendors including DX. For the most part if interested in a light try to find a review of it by a member either here or on CPF as the Chinese Lumens and current draw listings seem to frequently be total fiction. In some cases even the factory claimed weights and dimensions are off.

Cool! Seems like I made a good choice then (was also confirmed in another topic). Looking forward to it arriving :slight_smile:

I have a T10T with a XP-L in it. I love it. Looks killer and the tint of the LED swap is perfect. Also have a D25A Ti but havent EDC’d either due to them being too nice and afraid of gauging them up with my keys.

I have EDC’d the L3 Illumination L10 and thats nice as well