Ti-mo

Are you hanging me out to dry now …? :cry:

True story. My credit card was cancelled by the bank due to a few fraudulent transactions in the US. I’m really out of action for awhile.

Every time I read the title I think it’s about Titanium-Molibdenium alloy….

Very nice result pp ! That looks like a $1500 light alright :heart_eyes:

Keeps reminding me of Timo Mass from the good old days :wink:

Naaaa Pink, just don’t want Steve’s missus to think I had anything to do with him paying so much “postage”. :wink:

My brother is proving hard to pin down for a time to visit him (and use his bead blaster :innocent: ). Might get it done tonight.

In the meantime I got bored and tried again for some glamour shots. I’m almost thinking of re-making the body with a good bit of mokume so it shows all the way around. This light turned out above my expectation and now I feel like it’s marred because of the poor quality mokume.

It’s a beautiful piece !

Love the animated GIF! Well done!

Just like most people, it has a good side when it comes to taking pictures of it. I wouldn’t worry about it, it carries the same and lights up the night just fine no matter what lines are in the brass. Right? :wink:

Damn that is pure hotness in creativity and craftsmanship no matter the material used.

Yes to this. :beer:

Very nice! :+1:

I was wondering if you were going to clean those fins out :smiley:

I, personally, wouldn’t bead blast the Titanium. Ti gets surface scratches easily, if bead blasted the scratches show a lot more.

This light has been kind of experimental and blasting the ti is just another thing I wanted to try. Even if it scratches easier I just want to try it plus it’s costing me nothing. Also I didn’t debur the fins so that section is a little sharp in hand. Hoping that blasting will give it a softer but still grippy feel.

Can’t see I’ll be carrying this light much. I might keep it a while just to show off but don’t foresee keeping it forever.

I ended up just swinging past my bro’s house and leaving the light there for him to spray in his own time. I went and picked it up today. It doesn’t highlight the stripes at all like I was hoping but I really like it a lot :sunglasses:

Of course, the lens needs replacing but it was chipped anyway so it was the perfect plug to block the end for spraying. The new lens hasn’t been delivered yet :weary:

The bezel was screwed on tight and you could barely see the seam when I left it with him. However the bead blasting has highlighted the seam…. and keyed it together. It took some effort to get the bezel off and I did end up scratching it :person_facepalming: :weary: I’ll have to get it touched up.

That’s beautiful! I for one like the irregularity of the pattern, like a fine piece of natural material like wood, as someone who uses a lot of exotic woods in my “other” hobby…

That looks great! :+1:

Masking tape and lots of it. The finish on the ends look good. :beer:
What size lens are you after?

The lens is 3mm thick, don’t remember the diameter off the top of my head. The new lens should be here soon…. hopefully :email:

What’s your other hobby?

I build electric and acoustic guitars… semi-professionally. Also a cabinetmaker and woodworker by trade. I have some woods that are quite amazing…

I’ve always been intrigued by metalworking and machining. I do have a CNC mini-mill (of which I ordered machined castings from China and installed my own components). I have a very old mini lathe; the cross slide does not lock properly onto the bed, and it has some kind of weird eccentric attachment below - my guess is that it may have been used for winding? I do have a 4th axis project for the mill that I can’t seem to start building though I have all the parts.