Titanium Stonewash and Color Anodization: Pros, Cons, Durability?

Was kicking around the idea of getting an Emisar in the stonewash titanium or maybe one of the colorful anodization patterns.

I’ve only ever had raw titanium alloy in a host. Is there anything I should know about those other finishes? Pros and Cons? I’m especially interested in whether or not these finishes can be damaged by pocket wear or conversely cause damage to pockets.

yes, they are surface coatings and will scratch the same as raw titanium. Anodising will wear off and the color will fade.

Some think Stonewashing might hide scratches because the surface is already mottled in an irregular pattern. imo, if you scratch it, the scratches actually show up more, and you cant polish the scratches out, without losing the stonewashed finish. Stonewash also feels grippier, the surface is not smooth.

raw titanium can be repolished if you have the equipment…

if you polish the others, you lose the surface finish… so once they are scratched, they stay that way and the scratches are more obvious than scratches on Raw Ti.

1 Thank

I don’t usually put hard things in my pockets with these lights so I was worried more about the light just wearing smooth and losing patina from contact with cloth, leather, and plastic. You think I’d still get cosmetic damage over time with stonewash? I’ve been really happy with the raw titanium, looks pretty much like it did when I bought it aside from the copper looking darker/dirtier

no firsthand experience carrying stonewashed nor anodised finishes. But Ive seen faded anodising on other peoples lights, and I also tested using a polishing cloth on the tailcap of my only stonewashed ti light.

I was rather shocked how easy it was to remove the surface finish. And not happy that the tailcap is now shinier than the body.

my guess is pocket wear will polish some of the highpoints on knurling, and around tailcap and bezel edges.

whether you call that damage or character is a matter of perspective, but I do think the finish will show pocket friction wear more than shiny Ti…

1 Thank

Anodized Titanium is nothing like anodized Aluminium. The Titanium color is a surface blemish, much the same way oil on a street or on water creates a rainbow of colors. So, yes, because it isn’t t a hard coat penetrating into the metal it will fade and rub off easy.

Bead blasting the Titanium produces duller colors that mar and scratch. And as said, are virtually impossible to touch up.

I like a smooth finish on Ti, and I have a good bit of this metal of the gods, because I can refresh the colors at will.

The most expensive bit of Ti will join my collection Thursday, I’m pretty excited about it! A $60,000 piece of Titanium that I’ll NEVER anodize!

:sunglasses:

You’re refreshing the colors on titanium? How is that done and what kind of lights would be eligible? (single colors, patterns, knurling?)

I hope the procedure goes smoothly and that you will soon be pain free.

1 Thank

Unlike the acid baths of Aluminium, Titanium can be colored by flame or with the use of a power supply. A power supply can very reliably give specific colors at specific Voltages. Shiny Ti colors bright, dull Ti has muted colors.

Thanks Jon, appreciate it. Will know by Thursday night, it’s day surgery and supposedly I’ll be walking before I leave. :+1:

Loves me some Titanium! :sunglasses:

IMG_3302

3 Thanks

Pretty neat! That knife with the sunset coloration looks fantastic!

Good luck on your surgery :beer:

Thanks, appreciate it.

My scratch built quad EDC.

1 Thank

Dale, good luck on Thursday. It must be reassuring to know you have a fully licensed little Mountain Lion on your side who is watching your six.
Knowing this is not your first encounter with the Men In White, may I ask is it Ti in, or Ti out?

:grin: Right! Mama Bear when riled, some kind of rights of passage thing with 5’ nurses! Lol

Ti implant in the Femur, Ti cup screwed and glued to the pelvis with a nylon (Teflon?) insert. Supposedly good for 28 ish years.

Robotic assist for exacting angles placement and leg OAL. Going in at 6 AM, first up. Might even be home for lunch! :sunglasses:

Thanks H, appreciate the vibes… :wink:

Will be thinking of you while I am getting my heart cath… at the same time.
Or maybe not. Will probably be out for the count while they are hacking on you. :smiling_imp:

I had a right/left heart cath in Oct, as things go it wasn’t horrible but I remember every bit of it to this day. Versed should wipe it from your memory. They don’t knock you out for the cath, but yeah I’ll be way out! (Sure better be!)

1 Thank