TK's Emisar D4 review

Going by Carclo’s efficiency figures, the difference in output between the 10622 and 10623 is just about 0.5% for the Nichia NVSW 219C White emitter.

http://www.carclo-optics.com/optic-10622-led-nichia-nvsw-219c-white
http://www.carclo-optics.com/optic-10623-led-nichia-nvsw-219c-white

Thanks. I guess there can be such a thing as too much flood even with a hotrod like the D4. I’ve ordered a clear optic to try.

Awesome, that’s even better than I expected! :slight_smile:

These questions may have been brought up before but at least I couldn’t find them easily:

1. What is the weight of the Ti vs Al?

2. Has anyone asked IO/Hank if we can buy a spare Ti battery tube? At least in the raw color. (If it legos with the Al D4)

It would be a nice upgrade to get knurling (if not cost prohibitive)
Even better if it also legos with the D1/D1S

I’m sure this has been asked before but after buying the nichia version my flashlight appetite grew to desire the xpl-hi as well. I don’t necessarily want to buy a whole new one but would want to try and swap the MPCB. Anyone do that? How hard would that be for someone with decent soldering skills but not much experience taking apart lights?

See post #81.

The D4Ti does not lego with the D4 (only the tail cap can be interchanged).

Even different batches of the aluminium D4 don’t lego well.

I got my D4 with frosted optic and I am so glad that I did. There is no visible hotspot and the transition is smooth as butter, which to me and others who seen it think it is the most ideal beam pattern. The frosted optic also increases flood and lights up the entire wall or ceiling, making it great for edc use.I plan to get another D4 later and will definitely get it with the floody optic.

I also use the 10621 which does make a good “be seen by traffic when crossing street” light. Definitely noticeable difference and prefer it over the 10622.

Actually I’m using the 10623 optic, which is an option at https://intl-outdoor.com/emisar-d4-high-power-led-flashlight-p-921.html

USA-based D4 owners wanting to experiment with other optics should check out LEDSupply.com.

They have the 10621, 10623, and 10624 quad variants, and offer free shipping for packages under 13oz.

I ordered several Carclo models from them when I built a triple Convoy S2+.

It’s pretty easy: Unscrew the bezel. Pop the optic out. Unsolder two wires. Remove two small screws. Pull the MCPCB out, put a different one in its place. Put screws back in. Solder two wires on. Insert the optic. Screw the bezel on again.

theres no glue or anything? It should pop right out?

Thanks for the link

Wondering where I can find the 10621 in Europe delivered to Greece without paying a day’s wages in shipping.

I’ve not done it myself but I’ve been researching about it because I’m considering to buy the Nichia or XPG2 then swapping out the LED’s.

Nothing is glued. You will need an MCPCB with the LED’s already soldered on (unless you can do that yourself) I believe Mountain Electronics has an “off set” board that gives a more rounded beam profile, if you request it he will pre solder flow the emitters on to the board for you.

I’m pretty sure this is the board:

And here’s some bare XPL-HI LED’s:
XPL-HI V3 1A - 6500-7000K (CW)
XPL-HI V3 3A - 4750-5000K (NW)

Also the board from MTN is a little thinner than the stock one, I’ve read for some it’s not an issue, and I’ve also read others have shimmed it or used a thicker O-ring under the lens. I don’t think it would matter because the board is screwed down, but I’m not sure if the early ones were. If you search around on the forum enough you can find what others have done.

Try conrad.com

Thanks. Shipping is “reasonable” at 10€.

Mtn electronics has the D4 back in stock btw, no titanium