TK's Emisar D4 review

Looking at a few of the Sony batteries. Is there a point of diminishing returns? If I get the 20A continuous, would I be missing out on much by not getting the 30A? Just want to make a solid choice without having some sort of super performance without a need for such. Thank you!

As described in the OP under “Upgrade Options”, there are several other firmwares available for the D4. The main ones are:

• RampingIOS (what the D4 comes with)
  • NarsilM (same as the BLF Q8 and BLF GT)
  • FSM (library which makes interfaces easier to write)
    • Anduril (similar to NarsilM but with more features)
    • Baton (similar to an Olight Baton)
    • DarkHorse (almost exactly like a ZebraLight)
    • Meteor (similar to the Noctigon Meteor)
    • Momentary (super simple, mostly just an example for how FSM works)

But if you only want to make the light turn on each time at 1000 lumens, it should be a fairly small change to any of the above.

I bought two of the Sony VTC-5A high drain 2500mAh cells for my 219C. I don’t need the added runtime and since the light bangs pretty hard on a cell, on turbo, I’d rather have the extra headroom.

Chris

I am not sure this thread is the right place for what I am goint to suggest, but found no better one.

One accessory that I’d really love to have for the D4 is an optional tail cap that would transform the light to a battery pack and also allow one to reacharge the light. There is a junk (?) flashlight on aliexpress which tail looks exactly like what I have in mind, which is called “SIV Battery Storage Box 18650 Battery DIY Holder USB Power Bank Case 3 Mode LED Flashlight”

Ok, so this happened: I seen a bunch of cells really cheap on ebay. I got 2x16340s and 5x18350s for under £4 ($5.60)! One of the 18350s is dead but it was worth it for the 16340s alone. They’re both clocking in at 700mah and running very well in my OTR M3 and Klarius Mi1C. Now, if only there was a nice light that could run off 18350s? I like my D1S so the D4 is an obvious choice. I’ve ordered green with a 18350 tube and chose the 10623 optic but also bought a 10622 optic so I can try them both.

You’ll need some of these to go with the D4 18350 tube.

They would be nice to have but I’m going to see how well it runs on my 4 Efest 800mah cells first. Then I’d probably give the Ultrafire 18350 cells a go. They got a good review from HJK but the added protection may well be an issue with the D4. The idea is to use it as a bit more of an edc light and run it at lower levels anyway.

Does anybody know of a diffuser wand that will fit on the end of the D4? I lost my Olight S10 this weekend and it had a wand like this on it. Might go without replacing it if I can find a wand for the D4.

Actually there is not really headroom, just more oomph. A weaker battery is stressed the same way as a high drain cell, just the resulting amps are lower.

IR + voltage drop differ, but each cell is taxed with whatever it can deliver.

If I have a rated 15A continuous 18650 like a Samsung 30Q and I have a 30A+ continuous discharge cell like my Sony VTC-5As and I constantly run them at 15A-20A in my D4, which cell is probably going to last the longest, all other things being equal?

That’s the “headroom” that I’m talking about.

A 15A cell run at 15A will not last as long as a 30A+ cell run at 15A, all other things being equal, I guess is my point?

Chris

My ruler says the D4’s bezel is 38mm diameter.

EDIT: The D4’s bezel is 28mm.

I don’t have any ‘traffic wand’ diffusers, but I have a couple of the short, squishy 20-24mm diffusers from BangGood. I can get one onto the D4 with a little effort. They’re 50mm / 2” long.

Here’s a 38-45mm silicone diffuser at Kaidomain. It’s only 46mm / 1-3/4” long though. Certainly not a ’traffic wand.’

It will probly melt if put on turbo.

Those are great thanks. The shorter length on them might even work better…I didn’t like how long my other one was. I’ll just have to remember not to use turbo when the wand is attached otherwise it gonna melt!

You’re welcome! :+1:

Silicone rubber has no problems with extreme temperatures.

Wikipedia says it can handle –55 °C to +300 °C or –67 °F to +572 °F.

I just ran my Nichia D4 on turbo for a couple of minutes with a diffuser installed without issue. :partying_face:

28, not 38. :slight_smile:

I may have to try some of those silicone diffusers though… all mine are hard plastic so they only fit one light.

Crud! :person_facepalming:

I’ve edited my post above to help avoid confusion.

The D4’s bezel is 28mm diameter.

Does the tactical (momentary) mode use turbo/unregulated or the last memory level?

At least mine uses turbo, but there might have been some talk of newer versions of the FW that memorizes the output for momentary.

Thanks for the correction and good to know it won’t melt haha. I’ll order one of these that you recommended today. At that size they might even fit a couple of my other lights like Toykeeper suggested.

Purchased 3, thank you!