TK's Emisar D4 review

Because I’ve used a D4 (219c) outside. The spill is so bright it interferes with seeing very far, and the peak output only lasts a few seconds. It’s technically capable of throwing past 50 m, but in actual use it’s not very practical for that purpose.

An XP-L HI or dedomed XP-G2 D4 is a bit better at distance, but I still wouldn’t recommend it past 100m or so.

The D1 and D1S are much more practical for longer ranges.

A single XP-L HI in a small reflector should be plenty throwy for this kind of thing. Look at the Convoy S2+ with XP-L HI, for example. Or the ZL SC63, or SC600. The D4S could probably be smaller than the original D4 and still throw well enough. The main difficulty would be finding room for the button on a smaller head.

I am actually on the fence now and after reading this post, it makes me even harder to decide whether to go for it or not to.

Got it today……Perfect! :heart_eyes:

The D4 is widely considered to be an exceptionally good light because it is has a relatively low price and is very good at many things. However, maintaining a perfectly flat runtime curve on high modes is not one of those things, because of the type of driver. This can only be seen on a graph though, not in actual use, and is largely irrelevant most of the time because of how the smooth ramping works.

The D1 is expected to be very similar, and is literally the only light in its class. As far as I’m aware, there is nothing else like it for anywhere near the same price.

My comment was mostly just teasing Jerommel a little for placing such high importance on a trait which cannot be seen by the human eye. He has brought it up repeatedly in several threads for several lights with similar driver designs. It would genuinely be nice to have, but it’s costly in terms of tradeoffs, and most people don’t care about it as much.

So… I think it’s a fantastic light, mostly, and it has been common for people to like it so much that they stop using other lights.

And from what I hear, I think Hank wants to keep improving the Emisar line… and some of those improvements might even be relevant to Jerommel. :slight_smile:

So I have the green, black, and grey D4 in front of me as I type this. Honestly they all just look stunning in their own way. But the green one… I mean the green one is just so special. This colour to me defines Emisar, and I can only hope (said it before) the D7 will be available in green as well… :partying_face:
Any updates on the D7 perhaps? Led types?

Sorry, I don’t know anything more about the D7.

Green is nice but I’m still hoping for a nice purple. I still have no lights in purple, and haven’t been willing to get an UltraFire I don’t want just to get a bit of purple aluminum.

I love metallic deep purple a lot. I love the combination of metallic purple and metallic lime green a lot as well. I think the most beautiful purple flashlight is the Maglite 2/3/4 D cell. Perhaps it would be nice to Frankenstein this with the D7’s innards. :smiley:

Got a shipping notice today and I think it’s the D1 :smiley:

Really itching to compare it to my Sc600w Mk III Hi!

Yes. PLEASE report back with your thoughts. Including tint as, well. :+1:

guys & gals! FYI the thermal cfg settings on MAX is seriously too hot to handle……but I like! :smiling_imp:

I see the D4 and D1, but have seem talk about D1S, D4S, D7. What are those lights and where people get info about them?

My (first) D1 was also shipped today.

What flavour RollerBoy? I am looking forward to the D1 with the throw. Crazy as it is, i am more flood than throw but still enjoy throw! Now last week or so I have even dug out an old Predator Pro v2.5 warm and its had lots of use. So i am swinging towards a throw buzz for a bit i think.

Do enjoy my quads, all 4000-5000k other then the pd35vn which has 2x xp-l 5000k and 2x6500k iirc for around 5700k mix

Green 3A

@ven
What flashlight model is that big silver with ribs, left from the candle?
Can’t recognise the manufacturer :wink:

The D1S is the next in line to come out, I think. It’s a bit smaller than a C8 and estimated at 120 kcd of throw.

After that is the D7, if I understand correctly. It has 7 emitters and 3 cells (IIRC) in soda-can style.

The D4S is something I made up because I want one. Even if it existed, it wouldn’t be called a D4S; probably more like a D1T or something. Basically, a D1 with a smaller head or a D4 with a single emitter, designed to hit about 8-12 cd / lm for EDC use. Ideally, smaller than a D4 because it can be.

Nice, still need some green in my life!

I can’t wait!

The D4S seems like a cool idea. Right now the D4 is my EDC because it’s the smallest light I have.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Biggest light i have! just have to be careful not to water it too much……….