TK's Emisar D4 review

I will probably buy at least one copy each of all lights from Hank.
It started with the Meteor.
Maybe Hank should offer a subscription… :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s a picture of the D1S on CPF:

D1S picture!

Here’s a picture from Hank’s site:

Carclo 10199, 20 mm diameter, 9.6 mm height. Light with it would be smaller than D4 (by volume; smaller diameter head, but slightly longer). This optic with XP-L HD would do 8.4 cd/lm. Though I would really like a D1-like light with that CKO optic. Minimally larger then D1 for extra 20kcd. And with dedomed SST-40 it would do c.a. 80 kcd.
BTW, do you know about some reflector manufacturers stating their cd/lm numbers? In threads like this I mention TIRs only because that’s the only hard data that I have. :frowning:

Ah yes. that’s the same pic. Looks nice. A bit big for pocket EDC though. :sunglasses:

I also think the person holding it in the picture has small hands. I saw a photo of it next to a c8 and the d1s was a bit smaller.

This image was posted in the thread

( TK's Emisar D4 review - #1434 by charles_lin )

Definitely too big to EDC, at least for me. But I will be the first in line to buy one.

There’s a measure of how badly you want a purple flashlight: whether you’d take a
M@g shell.

Nah, me neither.

Unfortunately, I don’t think reflectors come with cd / lm specs for different emitters like TIRs do. :frowning:

I think the Convoy S2+ with XP-L HI and smooth reflector gets about 18-20 cd / lm, going by the numbers I see in the thread for the desert tan model. So… sufficient throwiness should be possible, even in a smaller diameter.

I’d like something narrower than the D4, perhaps a 21mm or 22mm tube light with a small raised section for a switch. Of course, then it wouldn’t lego with the other D-series parts… but that’s probably okay. Mostly I’m hoping for something sized like a ZL SC63 or Olight S2, but with a nicer UI and mod-friendly driver and perhaps a little more throw. An 18350 tube and clip for it would be cool too.

I have no reason to believe any of this will actually happen… I just think it’d be nice.

I like the narrow profile as well. Many lights where the diameter interferes with pocket carry and the length can vary a little more.

Now if a smart manufacturer is watching, they’ll let you know now many “what she said, I’d buy that” posts it’d take to get them to bestir themselves and build that.

Keep wishing your specifications out loud!

deleted misunderstanding

Thousands of links about it on the internet, and you post the one where Butthead compares my space rock to a prostitute. :+1:

It looks like I’m not the only one who noticed. The top-rated comment by a wide margin is: ‘“Small and not bright”. Kind of like the moron sitting in the middle.’ :smiley:

Edit: Er, you didn’t have to remove the comment. I just like teasing people… and I thought it was funny to see the news anchor totally zone out, chime in with a comment similar to “Heh-heh, you said ‘ho’”, realize he was on the air, then unsuccessfully try to make it look like he had been paying attention the whole time. The actual reporting was fine, but I don’t think that’s why the video got over 100k views.

Received mine a few days ago. Love the neutral tint of XP-G2 3D. Glad I made the choice because the Nichia would be a little cool for my taste.

The clip is from my old Spark SF5.

New suit for my D4 :smiley: ! It feels so much better in my hand.

That looks like rod wrap….

World’s brightest keychain light?

May I ask if and where I can find a schematic of the driver?
Does code for Attiny 25 need modifications (apart from changing the target) to run in Attiny 85?

Nice clips, minion wraps, my D4 is jealous. :smiley:

KG_Tuning, that link and pic are only visible to people who are members of the facebook group and currently logged in. Care to re-host it somewhere public?

Flashy Mike, tiny25 code can usually be flashed to tiny85 with no changes. Usually it doesn’t even need to be compiled differently. Tell the compiler it’s a tiny25 chip, then tell avrdude it’s a tiny85 chip… and it Just Works. The driver doesn’t have an open-source schematic, but it’s functionally identical to the Q8 driver if that helps.

These lights are very user friendly and could be used in a tactical situation. Is there a chance Hank could make a “tactical” edition?

@Toykeeper:
Thanks a lot!
Your very detailed OP helped much to take the lamp apart easily. I fixed the electric parts on a bread board and will try my driver firmware later.
But one more question:

It is very narrow in the driver cavity, the switch wires a very short and I’m pretty sure I’ll break them after a few reflashes. Is there an easy way to get the switch out without srcatching the casing (in order to resolder wires)?