TK's Emisar D4 review

Nice! Hank is really on to something with this Cyan, love it!

Wondering if it’d be easy to talk Hank into a nice blood red? A silver clear anodized tube. And the blue cap. :slight_smile: Red,white, and blue. Yeah baaaaby!

Yes, it is a beautiful color.
I’ll probably play with this beauty tonight. I have a spare VTC5A just in case :slight_smile:
Gonna let Hank know I received the D4. He shipped the light one day after receiving the order and quickly responded to every email.
Great light at a great price, and excellent custumer service. You can’t ask for more :wink:

Hank is da man. Some time ago I e-mailed him with a technical question about the M43. He replied within 15 minutes or so. It was something like 10 pm on a Saturday in Shenzhen…

Quick and dirty but you get the idea. :wink:

Yes,he was responding to me on the weekend and at night, shortly after I sent the emails. Amazing!
I just sent him a very nice email :wink:

Love it!
Especially with the recent events going on :wink:

Ohhh cyan looks cool.

It’s not that it’s too rough, I don’t have a problem picking up rocks or sandpaper or anything like that.

I don’t know what it is, but something about the texture makes me shudder. Like the nails on a blackboard type reaction but not as intense.

I am enclosing 3 photos showing the texture. Two of the photos were taken under 10x magnification using a jeweler’s loupe, with the photo taken with a smartphone behind the loupe.
While not the best magnification photos, it does accurately show how minimum this texture is.

Photo #1 - the end cap without magnification, for a control shot
Photo #2 - the end cap under 10x magnification
Photo #3 - side of the body under 10x magnification

I know this is a D4 thread but why doesn’t the D1 come in cyan? I like the sound of some of the other colors mentioned.

Some size comparison pics:

Photo #1 - D4 & 18650 cell
Photo #2 - D4 & Nitecore EC11
Photo #3 - D4 18350 & EC11

Yes, I agree, it might be due to some variation in the machining of the parts. However, the parts in my cyan (I received it a couple of weeks ago) and green D4s are perfectly Lego-able, cyan head+green body+blue tailcap and green head+cyan body+green tailcap, worked perfectly without flickering. I didn’t have to do anything to make it work, I just swapped the parts. Will try Lego-ing with the black D4 once it arrives.

Hey now! :wink:
It’s not a rational thing, but unglazed earthenware for example makes my skin crawl. It didn’t use to, I used to annoy other people by grinding my nails on the blackboard for example.
Somehow, over the course of the years, it became unpleasant to the point of wanting to scream to touch certain rough textures. I don’t know why. Karma?

@DB Custom
Bless your Mom :wink:
That rough texture just cut up my pants while pulling it out of my pocket, and is giving me blisters on my index finger & thumb.

I’m taking a grinding disk to it now.
J/K :smiley:

Copied from my D1/D1S review… close-ups of the smooth and velvety textures:
(click any image to zoom in)
(images illuminated by steep side lighting to emphasize contrast and texture)

Old / smooth texture

New / rough texture

You can see the difference, but you need to have both to feel the difference between smooth and rough. I like both. I really like the grainy Cyan, but also the smooth green due to the colour.

There are things which people can initially feel nothing about, which can develop over time into extreme aversions despite not being associated with any actual trauma or negative experiences. I don’t know if unglazed earthenware texture is on that list, but at least one I’m aware of seems to be a deeply-ingrained revulsion at a biological level. It’s probably some sort of evolutionary thing to keep people away from danger, something which doesn’t activate until after exposure.

Although this is the opposite of my usual policy, I highly recommend not looking up more information on the topic. These things are kind of an information hazard. It’d be like, if a specific food was known to make healthy people allergic to corn, I would not recommend eating that food. Voluntarily acquiring an allergy would be dumb, and it would be horrible to tell other people to eat something that would harm them.

@oKtosiTe
This may be what you seek:

Meh, let’s not make political flashlights. Politics already seep into too many parts of life, and tribalism in particular tends to invoke some of humanity’s worst traits.