TK's Emisar D4 review

Not politics.
Red, White & Blue represents The USA Flag, the most Patriotic symbol representing The USA.
Patriotism :wink:

It also represents Czech Republic, Croatia, Сuba, Russia, Thailand, Norway flag) Universality…

It’s just coincidental that Great Britain’s flag is also the same colors. And quite a few more. Reading deeper, into the actual meaning of the colors, can apply virtually anywhere… Red signifies hardiness & valour, White signifies purity and innocence, and Blue signifies vigilance, perseverance & justice. Common goals for an improving society.

Patriotism sells. Pure and simple. You don’t have to have allegiance to a party to have devotion to the greater good.

I could ask for a dark blue and grey combination, in favor of the Dallas Cowboys. People who like the New England Patriots (or the Denver Bronco’s for that matter. [ugh, blue and orange flashlight. yuck! :stuck_out_tongue: ] might disagree but there are millions of Cowboy’s fans. For better or worse. So to ignore color combinations on the rationale of political reference is possibly a costly mistake.

Pretty sure Hank will have made what Hank wants made. :wink:

Edit: FWIW, my D1 has the colors of Baylor University for me, with the golden brass rings used as spacers to allow the 20700 to work in my green flashlight. :smiley:

I am thinking a nice deep red would be nice as well. I really like my old red maglight, to bad every time I need a light I grab the one next to it. :slight_smile:

Well if you mention new colours… and you mention Maglite… Then I see no other choice to mention the colour purple again… :sunglasses:

Why is this light only regulated to 150 lumens instead of say 600 or 800 lumen?

I look at Hank’s site almost every day.
I just noticed another LED option for the D4:
Neutral White - XP-L HI V2 5D, 4000K ( +$18.00 )

Here’s the list of options. There may be other new options included:

Neutral White - XP-G2 S4 3D, 4885K
Neutral White - XP-G2 S4 5D, 4000K
Neutral White - Nichia 219CT 90CRI, 5000K
Cool White - XP-L HI V3 1A, 6500K ( +$18.00 )
Neutral White - XP-L HI V2 5D, 4000K ( +$18.00 )

I guess there are 2 reasons:

• price
  • few care

Everyone differs but I actually use the 350ma level a lot. Super easy to get to, good amount of do it all Lumens/output.

No, I think the main reason is space.
The Driver is a Fet + 1 Driver. The +1 is the AMC7135 which regulates the current to 350mA.
Other drivers are e.g. Fet + N + 1, that means you will have a second bank with e.g. 6 AMC7135, which regulates the current to a maximum of 2,1A + 0,35A = 2,45A before the FET will be used.
In this Flashlight you have driver-parts only on the top side of the driver and there is no more space for further AMC7135. If you set some of them to the bottom side, you have to add space for them and a spring or pill to make contact to the battery. And a (bad) spring will decrease the maximum output of the flashlight.
If you need more space in the inside of the flashlight, it will grow on the outside too.

Thanks for taking the time for such a well thought out reply. :person_facepalming:

Exactly. It’s because of space.

Regulation makes heat. Heat needs to be spread across space to avoid causing problems.

I think he may be trying to find ways to regulate higher without making the light bigger, but it’s not easy. It’ll make the driver hotter, which means the driver will need its own heat sinking of some sort… and on the D4, the heat sink already gets saturated really fast. Can’t add water to a soaked sponge.

Improvements are definitely possible, but it’s tricky.

Darn you! 4000k is my sweet spot!

Got my Cyan D4 S4 5D today. it’s awesome!

Yeah, I love my XP-G2 S4 5D! Now I have to get the XP-L HI V2 5D, 4000K

Anyone have a side by side with a floody optic vs standard with same emitters? Thanks! I have to make a decision on my XP-L HI V2 5D, 4000K. :slight_smile:

I forgot to mention how much I love the new texture over the older smooth one. The grip is awesome.

Why would you go for xpl-hi and floody optics? Most important reason to spend the extra on xp-l hi is the extra throw.

The frosted optics are great for making the beam smoother. However, they also kill the throw.

The XP-L HI version is mostly about throw.

Frosted optics are more useful on XP-G2 or 219c versions, to make the wall of light more consistent.

I must admit, I’m a little sad I ordered so early, before the 3D tint was available and before the cyan host existed. I like my green 219c, but it’d be even better with some of the newer options.

Lately I’ve mostly used the one I modded the most… 3D tint (ish, 5D+3D+3D+2B), Mtn MCPCB, frostic optics, a clip, and fancier code. A matte cyan host would be a nice touch though…