TK's Emisar D4 review

Personally have no interest in Ti or Cu (weight to benefit does not work for me), but there is a market for some, so a limited run I’m sure would be nice.

I want to put a custom driver in a Olight. An S2 could be driven significantly harder. Combine that with ramping UI… :heart_eyes:

DBC-04 has undergone quite a few upgrades to get where it is now, not the least of which is a triple channel driver so efficiency is optimized. I did like it better with the Khatod spot optics, throw was substantially more, but I’ve traded that off for sheer output in it’s current configuration with XP-L2’s… they fit under a Carclo quad so I made the changes and adapted to the shorter optic.

The last change to my 06.7 thrower is a sliced and diced, then shaved SST-40. It was a tricky surgery but I’m seeing 2400 lumens at 755Kcd, running a single 32650 with protection circuitry removed. Tail current is 9.14A. This too may change, but for now it’s a good mix of power and throw and I’m enjoying it.

Copper looks nice, and has a living finish that changes over time. It usually works pretty well for thermal purposes too. The main downside I find is the weight, and potentially also how it scratches more easily than steel or anodized aluminum.

Here’s my BLF copper A01 after its initial surface weathering:

… and my S-Mini Cu after I weathered it a bit:

… and my Okluma DC2 which has been slowly darkening toward a relatively steady shade:

Like the DC2

Really like the Okluma, ironically very close to identical to Sinner’s lights. Form follows function and all that, huh? :wink:

Hi there ToyKeeper, is it easy to reflash the firmware yourself? Or is a soldering iron is likely to get involved.

Soldering iron. Details in the first post of this thread.

Looks like definitely not a job for newbie like me… anyone here willing to do it for me (for a fee of course :money_mouth_face: )

Today is a clear day, trying out on the Jen same target again with XPL HI 1A
And test how hot this can get… And I’m not sure if this is normal but when I do temp check with lights, it gave me 8 flashes… does that mean it reached over 80C? this thing was VERY HOT. And I also found that sometimes the light has glitches… such as when I insert the battery the light only flashed once and it won’t ramp up or down… should I worry about this? I clean and wiped the springs and it has been fine since, now my concern is the temperature

Anyway… some more shots. I think it’s pointless to show control… because camera can’t see anything

Tree is almost 70m (220ft)

This tree is about 15m (48ft) (sorry neighbors lol)

Lets completely derail the thread!! Next group project/buy right here! Build it in 18350/18500/18650/20700/21700.

One 18350 for me.

I think it is partly your fault because there is no warning sign on your flashlight. :sunglasses:

Just got my Green D4 Nichia delivered plus a black 18350 tube, just took 2 days to get here (UK seller on eBay) :slight_smile: Twice as bright as a S41 or S42 for a short time. Very nice hand cannon.

Lol the guy flipping the D4!

Has Hank any plans to release a 2700k D4, I really want to create a firelight effect for a relaxing atmosphere.

KG, Lee Filters is an easy answer. Get a sample book and you can make the light any hue you want it. Just don’t leave the film on the lens when ramping up to full power. :wink:

For example: The SST40’s in my Q8 like a single layer of 279, makes the output just a wee bit warm from white, works nicely as a candle… you might would want a second film to give a true firelight orange to the tint. Easy enough, just double up if you can’t find a single color film to do the trick.

Filters are fun! :partying_face:

I “colorized” a handful of small lights to lend out to young flashlight enthusiasts. They’re a big hit.

Rosco is another filter manufacturer. Their sample books are a few bucks online, but a local theater supply company gladly gave me two of them free of charge.

Check this page to find a retailer near you. Call and ask about a “Roscolux swatchbook.”

wow small and green looks really nice!

Sorry if this has been covered previously. Does anyone know of a belt pouch that fits the D4?

TIA

Convoy or Astrolux pouches for tube-style lights work well but the Astrolux is considerably slimmer.