TK's Emisar D4 review

Hmm, maybe we are not on the same page.

I have two D4s and a D1S. They UI is the same on all of them. They have memory at ALL levels (not just turbo and moonlight). Ramp them to any level you want (regulated or not) and click off, and they return to that same output level every time you click it back on. Double click at any time (on or off) and you get instant turbo. The only thing that “cancels” last mode memory is if you loosen the tail/head, which returns it to the default level (maximum regulated output). This will be evident when you tighten the tail/head again as you will get 2 flashes. Is that not how your light performs?

Another good feature with the memory mode-

Say you single click it to your memorised output mode and then double click to turbo, you can double click again and it goes back to your original memorised output = very cool.

thx for the tips skittle & old mate

I can’t believe the “Cu vs Al” war is still raging on…. :person_facepalming:

Small light, how much does the aluminum head weigh? Don’t forget to deduct that amount of weight when replacing with a copper head. Now, how much do your keys weigh? Your pocketknife? Your billfold? The change you accumulate daily? I really can’t fathom a full grown human unwilling to carry a few ounces.

Copper tarnishes, it’s emissivity goes up. I know all the engineers like to use the fancy thermal cams and charts and graphs and all that, but when the light is producing a LOT of heat, the ambient air is MUCH cooler, heat will be dispersed regardless… even a stainless steel or titanium head will put heat into the air with that much disparity. The cell, meanwhile, is dying fast. They tend to do that at 5-10C. So all things being equal, or balancing themselves out, does the difference really amount to anything in the real world?

Copper, more of it, allows the light to run at higher outputs for longer times. If anyone here should know, that would be me. I love using copper, in dense large quantities. Because I love pushing the envelope. I don’t build lights that make nearly 19,000 lumens on aluminum foundations, doesn’t make any sense at all to me. Big fat chunks of copper, only way to go. :slight_smile:

(Opinions are, of course, as diverse as the people that form them. Right and wrong are subjective, as usual.)

We obviously need a copper version and a titanium version made to settle this.

I have one, I call it the DBC-04, it’s thick walled Titanium with a robust copper head having exposed fins, Quad XP-L2 making 4123 lumens on an 18500 cell. Been wearing it on my waist, with or without a belt, from the time I get up to the time I go to bed for almost a year now.

It weighs 240grams and yet is invisible to me when not in use.

I know, but I’m trying to get these exotic versions made for the masses :smiley:

Oh Reeeeeeeey?

That’s a beautiful light you made there :thumbsup

Would it be at all feasible/possible to hook Rey up with Hank? The result could be pretty spectacular… :wink:

There’s an idea :slight_smile:

The RampingIOS firmware remembers whatever mode it was in when you turn it off. However, if you double-click to exit turbo and then single-click to turn it off, it’ll remember the non-turbo mode.

Also, there is no difference between the ramp ceiling and turbo.

Both of these have been fixed in later firmware, but aren’t yet on any shipping lights. Anduril takes extra care not to remember moon or turbo, though it still can if you manually ramp to them. It also lets you configure the ramp floor and ceiling, so the ceiling can be lower than turbo. In that case, one cannot ramp all the way to turbo, and it will never remember turbo, but it can still remember the ceiling level if ramped to manually.

CRX, you think we could get Rey to team up with Hank and produce a Titanium D2S, copper pill with exposed fins and a hard driven SST-40 making 2600 lumens? :smiley: It would almost HAVE to have a 21700 cell… :wink:

Dang, I might have to make that myself! LOL

Probably :smiley:

They get expensive with the exotic materials though.

<—-Rey’s Titanium X6 host with a copper pill designed for a triple CUTE3 set-up. 10 of the 12mm x 2mm trit vials around the head and an 6mm x 1.5mm in the tail, the trits cost almost as much as the host! With 3 XHP-50.2’s in it, at a bit over 10,000 lumens, this one got expensive on me in a hurry! I wasn’t thinking of where it would end up, the $150 host sounded cheap, and it took off from there.

Turbo shortcut memory is the best feature of the UI; I thought it was intentional lol

Depends on what the goal is. Copper can be pretty nice, especially if the idea is to optimize appearance or initial runtime on turbo. It soaks significantly more heat than aluminum, taking longer to heat up, and still transmits heat to the hand well. Its thermal properties may be different than aluminum, but it’s still pretty good.

Nothing short of augmented cooling will allow the D4 to run on turbo indefinitely though… like, running cold water over it, or holding a block of ice against the heat fins. It’s just way too much power in too small of a space for sustained use.

It was intentional… but people mostly didn’t like it. So in newer code it only remembers the last-ramped level, instead of memorizing the current level at shut-off. It can still memorize turbo, but only if the user ramps to it manually.

Somehow I had forgotten about that one… even though it’s probably the nicest of all your customs. Unless, of course, I’m forgetting about others. It’s a very practical and attractive design.

I’ve mostly kept an Olight S-Mini on me, or before that, a S1. It’s not very fancy, but I haven’t found or made anything better yet. Still hoping they’ll let me re-do the UI on it sometime, and make a BLF batch.