TK's Emisar D4 review

Thank you for the exact answer I was hoping for. Even though my experience with Vref’s usually has them expressed in knots…. :slight_smile:

Considering that margin of accuracy, is it likely that the voltage cut off is also slightly low? does the Vref value translate across the board? Nothing other than curiosity on my part.

My D4 &D1 reads .1volt under ( 4.1 with full battery ) & my D1s reads spot on.

i have noticed this on the nitecores also. my mh20 reads 4.2 volts at full, and my ec11 reads 4.1 volts… good thing you pointed this out… or we wouldnt be able to know…

If the battcheck mode’s readout is lower than actual voltage, that means LVP should start a little sooner than usual… not later.

Got mine today. 219c. Alone with a fet+7135 driver with D4 firmware for my Skillhunt H02.

I like the Size, Shape, Color(grey), Tint, Texture, And the feel in the hand.
I love the UI

One thing I am so so about is the beam size. It’s not as floody as I expected a Quad light to be.
My Convoy S3 triple with xpl hi and narrow(i think) optics has a much bigger spot.

Now I am wondering if there as a lens or optic for a single led that will fit. Or maybe a mule.

I cant wait for dark tonight. We are getting some snow.

Hi everyone,
I still haven’t bought the D4 because I can’t choose the setup.

The point is, I would like to use it as EDC light, but also as a bike light. At the moment I’m using a Convoy S2+ or a Astrolux S1 as EDC and I find the beam profile also very good for cycling (road cycling). I have tried having a ride with the Astrolux S41S XP-G3 but it’s too floody… so now the big question:

How will the XP-L HI D4 (which should be the less floody) compare to the S41S and S2? will it be somehow in the middle, closer to the S41 or closer to the S2? Ok, I don’t think the last option is possible, but I will accept a compromise… I’m just worried it might be still too similar to the S41S in terms of beam profile.

I’ve tried looking at the beamshots here for example, but I can’t get a clear idea

It would be aswesome if owners of all these 3 lights could comment on that :slight_smile:

other question:

+18 USD for the XP-L HI version sounds like too much to me… I’m wondering why they set the price so high. It makes much more sense to buy the plain version and then one of these:

https://intl-outdoor.com/noctigon-4xp-mcpcb-cree-xpl-hi-p-917.html

Will it fit the D4? I guess I’m not the only one who thought about it.

EDIT:

so it seems:
https://i.imgur.com/Rdn0j8z.jpg

>> It makes much more sense to buy the plain version and then one of these:

Why does that make more sense?

Which driver did you get for H02? Will it install easily?

FET + 7135 Driver - 22mm - MTN-22DDm had to roll file it until it passed the threads and rested on the very thin ledge.

Have you checked out the d1 beam profile? Sounds like that might be what you’re looking for.

that’s what I did. Bought an extra mcpcb and swapped it out. For the same price you get an extra set of emitters which i used for another light.

as written in the post above this one:

S4 XP-L HI: 58 USD
S4 219C/XP-G2 + 4XP MCPCB XP-L HI: 60 USD

and you get to try the 2 different setups, choose the one you prefer and keep the other (which is sold at 11/13 USD: https://intl-outdoor.com/noctigon-4xp-v2-mcpcb-nichia-nvsw219ct-r9050-d260-p-915.html ).
Also, the separate MCPCB is the V2 with the pads shifted to improve the shape of the corona, I think the stock S4 still comes with the V1 pads.

thanks for confirming that! :wink:

Thanks but the D1 is way more throwy for what I’m looking for. I will get the D4, I’m just wondering about the different versions… if the XP-L HI version will be not very different from the floody S41/S41S XP-G3 or if it somehow gets closer to a balanced beamshape such as the one of the convoy S2+ XM-L2/astrolux S1.

Or to put it in another way: how does the optic of the D4 compares to the one of the S41/S41S?

I ask this because they look very different. Even though the fact that the D4 has smaller parabolic reflectors makes me worry that it might be even floodier than the S41S :s

uhm… the carclo 10621 seems to have a tighter beam:

http://www.carclo-optics.com/optic-10621

But carclo has no beamshots for XP-L, these where with XP-G3.
Same here, no XP-L HI:

I’ve tried looking in this thread and seems like a few people have tried the swap:

quoting from: TK's Emisar D4 review - #4120 by Tixx

quoting from: TK's Emisar D4 review - #3246 by Biker1

any beamshot around?

Emisar D4 XP-L HI 4300lm in Turbo mode with water cooling:

In Turbo mode, the flashlight lasted 22 minutes, with a Sony VTC6 battery - 3100mAh :+1:

you could make a cool lava lamp!

Portable Boiled Egg Cooker. :smiley:

Poor lil cryptosporidium, cyanobacteria, rotifers, copepods, Escherichia coli, Rhizopus stolonifer, Naegleria fowleri, Legionella Pneumophila, Chaetomium sp., Salmonella Enterica.

As Benjamin Franklin once said, “In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.” We’ll take the wine.

The default optic of the D4 looks a little more floody than the S41’s. I have a Nichia 219c D4 and S41. The S41 has a more pronounced central spot compared to the D4 with the 10622. The S41’s beam also has more artifacts than the D4, the D4 has a cleaner beam overall (in spite of the pointy portions at the edges of the beam).