TK's Emisar D4 review

Don’t have the others to compare with but I am really happy with my D4 xpg2 5D. Choose it mainly because it runs less hot.

Reprogram the thermal threshold.

It’s a small light, with 4 emitters and little mass, running at 15A-20A, putting out 3000-3500LM, so of course it’s going to get hot, fast and step down.

Physics, how does it work?

Chris

Yes i agree.
my opinion d4 need to be slighty bigger, like d1 and with internal coppper heatshink. This will help for sure.

I don’t agree. It should be smaller, with a thinner battery tube. The head is well sized. A copper heatsink would be needless weight. :wink:
BTW, D4 Nichia is the reason I bought VTC5A, VTC6 was too weak. Though really I like it the most with the shorty tube.

I waithing for d1 host option for puchase, this will be great for modders

I’m happy it’s a small pocketable light. I don’t have to continuously run it at the highest output for it to be immensely useful and fun.

I ordered the Nichia and 30Q’s. Maybe I should have got some VTC5a’s instead. As long as it’s safe with the 30Q’s I’ll probably be happy enough with them.

The 30Q’s should be plenty, and have a lot more capacity. The VTC5A’s will perform better for like the first three seconds (or less!) on Turbo. Even for that little bit of time, you wouldn’t be able to see the difference with your eyes.

OK good. Thanks. I was speculating that the lower initial hit will actually allow it to run longer on turbo before thermal regulation kicks in.

Good luck with that… Hank doesn’t really do empty hosts.

About the D4’s size, power, and thermal mass, it’s a light where turbo really is “turbo”. It can’t even come close to sustaining that output for long, because it’s massively overpowered for its size. Even a host the size of a Q8 can’t sustain that much power indefinitely without overheating.

So, basically, treat it as a lower-brightness light with an extra “maximum overdrive” setting, or a “super turbo”. Perhaps a nitro booster. It’s not meant to be used continuously for extended periods of time.

Still, it’d be nice to have a D4-like light with a single emitter and some sort of optic or reflector for a more traditional EDC beam with lower output and the ability to stay at turbo for longer. That’s the main thing missing from the Emisar product line.

I thought that was the D7. :smiley:

Cyan is blue correct? What happened to the green?

I’m not sure, but I think Hank may have run into some issues designing the D7 driver and it seems to be delayed or something. I had an early proto driver, but the current regulator had a bizarre response curve and I’m not sure if he ever found a solution or if something else came up or what. He doesn’t tell me much.

I semi-agree.
Would love an Emisar with a single XP-L HI, but significantly smaller head than D1s. Or better - with a single dedomed SST-40.
Not for EDC, but as a backup light. Small and light with 18350 tube. Still plenty powerful. Floody enough to shine it at my feet. Having some throw nevertheless.
For me longer sustained turbo would be less valuable than higher turbo output, love D4 in that regard. But it would sustain turbo for longer, especially with HI.

You also doesn’t really do custom firmwares :confused:

I agree

Maybe a triple? D3?

But a D1 with more mass (copper) in the same package would also be nice :slight_smile:

Than you for your sharing.

A triple won’t be any throwier. Exactly the same beam profile with lower output. The benefit would be smaller size.
Overall, not a bad light, but IMHO too similar to D4 to be worth it.