TK's Emisar D4 review

I absolutely love the look of my Titanium Copper D4. It’s utterly gorgeous!

And it feels great in the hand too. Titanium is naturally grippier than anodized aluminum. And this one has beautiful square-cut knurling! I’ve never figured out why they didn’t make an aluminum version with the same knurling. Knurling is so helpful.

Unfortunately, I agree with TK… as gorgeous as it is, the titanium-CU D4 is just too darn heavy for EDC. When I pocket EDC it, I can really feel it hitting my leg as it rocks around in my pocket. It’s not comfortable at all. A good pocket EDC should vanish into my pocket and not be noticed until I whip it out.

The light could have been made lighter if the aluminum head would fit on the titanium body in place of the heavy copper head. But unfortunately, the threads between the two variants aren’t compatible. The aluminum version uses square-cut threads while the titanium version uses triangular cut.

Titanium is beautiful. But for flashlights, aluminum is just a lot more practical.

And at this point, I beg to differ.

I have carried no less than 3 Titanium and copper lights on my person for years. My Quad EDC is an 18500 of my own build with a very robust copper head section and again, thick walled robust Titanium battery tube and tail cap. This is in a waistband carried horizontal holster of Holstex with a carbon fiber pattern. Over 3000 lumens, always ready. And of course the Texas Poker is surgical grade Ti with a head filling copper pill, 10440 cell, and an extra cell in a Ti key fob. This has been around my neck virtually 24/7/365 for over 5 years now. Heavy? Each of your shoes is heavier than either one, I’d wager. My 304SS Tissot watch weighs more than either flashlight I carry every day. My knife too is heavier, also an EDC that I’m never without.

I keep hearing how heavy these flashlights are, and yet my leo friends carry weapons, magazines, tasers, mace, handcuffs, radio’s, phones, and wear bullet proof vests with a video camera…and yes, flashlights. Who am I to complain about a few ounces of Titanium? I dare say, how much does your smart phone weigh and how many hours a day are you without it? :wink:

It’s all a matter of perspective, isn’t it?

I don’t normally carry a phone unless it’s in my purse. Generally no pockets, and I kind of despise phones. I do tend to have a light clipped to me though, typically at the waist. I find the aluminum D4 is borderline heavy enough to make that uncomfortable, so I probably wouldn’t often carry a titanium+copper version that way. The FW3A is a bit easier, with its nicer clip and reduced weight, but what works really well is the Olight S-Mini Ti. It’s barely even there.

For the occasions I’m wearing pants, a D4 Ti would probably be totally fine. It just doesn’t happen very often.

As a fellow Ti fan, I have to side with Dale on this one. Specifically with the D4, the Ti/Cu version is not that much heavier. In fact, I’d say that its smaller form-factor as compared to something like an A6 or S2+ is an advantage, even if it’s heavier. Obviously small AND light is great, but for me, less “bulk” trumps less “weight”.
Also, if you “pocket EDC” anything of this size (loose), you will know it’s there. That is where a good pocket clip comes in.

:beer:

If you are a fan of Ti, but still think that weight is an issue, there are other (smaller/lighter) options out there as well.

While these are not quite up to the same performance/output, they are plenty usable:

:+1:

They are also carrying that weight on a duty belt. :wink:

Is someone actually using a clip (from intl-outdoor) with D4Ti? I think it too firm and together with knurling makes impossible to clip the light.

Ounces = pounds at the end of the day. No one likes to have any more weight on the body than absolutely necessary.

I am planning on carrying the D4 with the 18350 tube and wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a clip for the short version. I am hoping my Olight S1R clip will work, but won’t know until I get my D4. Waiting patiently . . .

I think the Olight S1R clip is too small a diameter to work on the D4. :frowning:

I haven’t really found a good clip option for it yet. I’ve settled on SF L2 clips with the inner diameter expanded a bit, but it’s not ideal. I made one for 18350 too, but it’s shaped strangely for that purpose and not very comfortable to use.

The one on the right looks like a D25C with colored anodizing added to the clip, head and tailcap.

What’s the one in the middle?

thanks for the feedback on the clip TK. I mostly want one for the occasion I want to use the D4 as a headlight, to clip in on a hat. otherwise I would just carry it in my pocket.

How did you get the battery tube to contact the spring board in the tail cap. A washer or magnet under it?
My D4 doesn’t turn on until the tail cap almost touches the battery tube.

Same method I use with other lights:

Very Clever Toykeeper. :+1:

Yup, D25c Ti on the right and an Olight TC10 Ti in the middle. It’s one of the “holiday” run pieces they did a while back.
The head originally had little snowflake designs on it, but I promptly sanded those off and refinished it. :+1:

Hi AhnTran, how many lumens do you think you have left on turbo with the 219b’s?

My 219b FET triples get about 1800 lm on turbo, at start. I don’t leave them at that level for 30 seconds though; it’s more of a burst mode.

So around 2k lumens with 4 219bs. I can live with that. Was using turbo only for bursts already. Sw40 9080 will go in as soon as they arrive, thnx.

I don’t know where my light is. Shipped the 28th but it’s not here yet. Maybe this week.