TK's Emisar D4 review

Thanks! Just need one that works with an e-switch…

That price drop has tempted me to pull the trigger, I was waiting for the FW3A, but will now end up with both.

Just waiting to hear from Henk if a green one is at all possible, it’s not that I really prefer the green, it’s just that this is now the colour I associate with the D4, just like a Ferrari has to be red, or a Jaguar E-Type has to be British racing green. It just wouldn’t seem like a real D4 to me in black.

I guess I know the answer already but is there a slightest chance to get a blue D4? Maybe Hank has some last blue hosts buried somewhere in a drawer or cabinet…waiting for sale? :wink:

Got a very fast response, no more green, discontinued :person_facepalming:

White may be available in the future, otherwise only black or grey.

I have ordered the grey.

I am really curious why they stopped with the green. Seemed to be the most popular colour and the ano holds up pretty well.

Btw. I wouldn’t mind getting an E-type in grey.

are the green and blue out of stock or no longer being produced ?

This is the response I got:-

Do yourself a favour and never ever buy a S42!
I have one and hate the user interface.

I changed the driver for both my S42 and it’s now one of my all time favorites. Converted one into a triple. Nasil FW + usb rechargeable.

I know the V2 user interface is posted in the OP, but I am wondering if it describes all functions. I say that as I was browsing through the early pages of this thread and found a post by TK saying [quote=ToyKeeper]

This is already implemented in the new D4 code. Additionally, it has: * Loosen + tighten tailcap, then click: Go to maximum 7135 level (~140 lm with no PWM and no FET).
[/quote]
Is this in V2, and are there any other “secret” features I have not found yet? Also, do I understand the beacon level is remembered from the last light output? That is, one could beacon moonlight, 140 lumens, 1000 lumens, or any other level desired (assuming the thermal reg. does not kick in)?

EDIT: Ok, I got through page 13 and see that while the quoted feature above is not shown on the UI diagram (which makes sense) it is in the FW. I love it. Guessing based on what I have read there are not any other undocumented features, but still curious about adjusability in beacon mode. I am really looking forward to exercising this UI, it seems very good, if not almost perfect. Perfect would be mind driven, I hear that may be coming in 2019?

10+ fast clicks then hold

Release when light buzzes

Blinks 7 times then a little blink afterwards

What does 7 blinks indicate? That’s obviously the max for thermal regulation / temp set?
Is there anyway way to turn that completely off so it doesn’t kick back by itself?

Since I removed myself from the FW3A list I went ahead and ordered a Ti/Cu D4, including the short tube. I got one in RAW Ti as I have no problem coloring it to my liking should I decide to opt for color.

Somehow, the D1s in black that I got a few weeks ago was still in the shopping cart so another one got ordered. Reckon I’ll gift it to a buddy of mine that I don’t think has an Emisar light. Will probably have to flash it to Anduril first so he can enjoy the candlelight and lightning modes, even knowing he prefers a simpler UI.

Really looking forward to seeing the cute lil D4 in Ti/Cu, my favorite flashlight material combination of all time. :smiley: Now, I might just have to remove the green XP-E2’s from my green D4 and make it a single emitter light just to see how that goes. :wink:

“Reckon I’ll gift it to a buddy of mine that I don’t think has an Emisar light.“
-Dale
I didn’t know you cared. I don’t know what to say. It’s not even my birthday!

That’s telling you the thermal limit is set to 70 C.

To remove the limit entirely you’ll need to flash modified firmware. This isn’t recommended though, since the D4 can seriously damage itself by being on turbo too long.

Well, since it’s “aginthelaw” to gift on unbirthdays, I better give this one to robo819 instead. Sorry, don’t know what I was thinking… :stuck_out_tongue:

I was initially skeptical of the combo for the pocket fire starter D4, but I broke down & bought one when they went on sale. It’s quickly become my favorite Emisar.

<—- Ti fanatic. Can’t help myself. My avatar light is a custom one-off 10440 sized that’s been around my neck for 5 years. My EDC is a quad XP-L2 Ti/Cu that I made myself, wear it on my waistline daily.

I’m generally a huge fan of Ti as well. My fascination probably stems from growing up in an era when it was essentially unobtanium due to the cold war.

I was actually excited to get a Ti plate with Ti screws on my spine in my neck, now, not so sure it’s all that… the human barometer effect is killin me! lol

That Ti/Cu D4 has been tempting at times. It certainly seems like the nicest flavor. A bit heavy for my daily use though, so I haven’t ordered one. Also, I’ve been trying to slow my accumulation of lights, even nice ones, and to only keep lights which are more than just a light. At this point almost everything in my collection has a story behind it, representing a project or an adventure or perhaps even a person.