TK's Emisar D4V2 review

And you will notify all appropriate customers who don't hang out at BLF?

…or at maybe post a complete, clear cut instruction set with pictures, wiring/soldering diagram…what works with what torch…what doesn’t…links to buy the parts…or at least precise names/numbers of parts…etc…

Hoop’s flashing post and TK’s advice got me flashing chips and via’s without much problem and just the right amount of tinkering and figuring stuff out on my own to feel like i taught myself a neat new skill.

Was like cramming for a test with cheat sheets, then getting an A+ for the successful flashing!

Hank - this is great news. Maybe there is a supplier near you prepared to do the fiddly work?

The flashing part is not for beginners, but should be simpler to instruct than sourcing and assembling the flashing hardware.

Fine for those reading here or in TLF. Bad luck for those who don’t. That’s why I think mailing a word of warning is in order.

[quote=ToyKeeper:

avrdude -c usbasp -p t85 -u -Uflash:w:anduril.hex

[/quote]

That’s the short version? Wow ,what does that even mean :person_facepalming: , I wouldn’t like to see the long version :person_facepalming:

Please don’t release any more firmwares before it’s been properly tested & it’s ready.

Yes, we are starting to send warnings to the D4V2 users now, those are the words below, hope everyone can see it.

For the D4V2 that you have, we have found a bug in the muggle mode (6 clicks enter into the muggle mode) which will be automatically on by itself,
PLEASE DO NOT USE MUGGLE MODE.
The bug does not affet any other functions, and the flashlight is safe to use.

Excellent news, I'm going to order one as soon as they are available.

Just make sure to write a warning IN REALLY LARGE LETTERS that flashing the firmware is NOT for technically inept users and that it has the potential to brick your flashlight if not done correctly. ;-)

Hank, when do you intend to sell a second batch of D4v2 with the bug corrected?
I will buy it but once this was discovered I rather wait some more time to get the light “fixed”!

Thanks!

Better to send a message to Imalent, Olight, Acebeam, Haikelite too…

Right. A dangerous bug like this was not to be expected.

I have a 1st batch ZebraLight SC600Fd Mk4 Plus here with a somewhat buggy firmware (doesn't affect use once I got the G6/G7 levels programmed).

At least with Emisars I can flash an updated firmware easily once the necessary hardware is available.

It's unreasonable to expect any complex software to be bug free. There WILL be bugs.

Boeing 737 Max anyone?

Anybody who writes firmware should not release or install until tested & ready , especially torch selling companies , it’s dangerous & is asking to be sued.
There could be a few people out there that didn’t catch the warning , people’s lives ,houses ,workplaces are at risk.

We have started to sorce the hardware to assemble the pogo pin adapters, but it will take some time for the testing and assembling.

All the D4V2 shipped by next week will be with the latest firmware which is free of the muggle mode bug.

Well, can you guy post the corrected firmware?( compiled hex file, so people like me don’t have to install complex software)

@mrheosuper

Fixed version: http://toykeeper.net/torches/fsm/anduril.2019-07-18.emisar-d4v2.hex

What I learned in my economics class is that companies decide whether or not to recall by comparing the cost of lawsuits/compensations for death and injury vs the cost of initiating a recall. Only if the cost of lawsuits/compensations is higher than the cost of recall will a company recall a product. This applies to all companies. Someone posted a good clip related to this on BLF a while ago

My 2006 BMW 325i was the most problematic car I have ever owned and there are some very well known defects and problems with the electrical system, water pump failures, engine block gasket oil leak, and a few others that basically every owner experienced and the BMW dealer mechanic confirmed affected almost every 325i of that year but was fixed subsequent year models. Many times these failures occur right after warranty period like on my car where I paid many thousands to fix. There was a huge petition by owners for a recall to fix these known defects for that model year only to fall on deaf ears by BMW.

Samsung was also notorious for trying to silence their customers who reported the initial explosions with the Note 7 and not willing to do anything until the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission had to step in and forced them to a recall.

You have to keep in mind the hotrods on this forum are built for a VERY SMALL hardcore enthusiast niche market (not very profitable) and not for the mass market general consumers. These flashlights sell in the dozens or hundreds (I’ve seen many models that sold less than 10 on Aliexpress) and not hundreds of thousands or millions like mass market products that you see recalls on. Also keep in mind that these flashlight companies are mostly one man shops with occasional external help (e.g. Toykeeper) so they don’t have a large QA/QC staff/program in place like large companies and these flashlights are rarely perfect. Know this before you buy. It’s a risk we all take to own these hotrods otherwise we will be limited to couple hundred lumen department store flashlights that are 20x the size. Asking for these small flashlight companies to do a recall is like telling them to go bankrupt and quit making flashlights which is bad for all of us.

Thank you very much for the information, Hank, and the work to solve the issue!

I will not start an argument here, as you are also right in some things you point out Nev!!
But, as I said, maybe it is better to start sending mails telling that to those BIG companies I mentioned and also other (ex: Manker) due to the issues they also have in their lights that are potentially hazardous too!

TK made a mistake, found it and communicated to Hank so that both can solve it! I am sure they will be able to reach a great number of people. Maybe a video review/info on YT was good so that many people could know about that and about it being already solved!!!
Despite what we may say, YT is a good source of info and lots of people buying these lights see videos to get more info.

I am not sure if Olight run all the needed test before releasing that headlamp that could start fires… Also, I am not sure it they collected all the lights sold on that batch or if they ever contacted all the costumers that bought that light!…

At least Hank/Emisar & TK are trying to making things right, hoping that all buyers so far will know about the issue and will manage to be “safe” and not “muggle” it!

Last but not least, and as we already excessively perceived, you are not a fan of Anduril, so I wonder if it was other UI/FW you’d be worried in the same way! Please, do not get me wrong as I am not pointing a finger to you; as I said, you have some reason on this, but please be comprehensive with this situation and the “people” involved too!!

The issue has been pointed out and is on its way to solution!

The most important thing is that everybody who bought the D4v2 is aware of the issue so they can actively avoid it happening to them. Otherwise eventually it will start a fire. Or it will turn on when the owner is out of the house and maybe wife/partner notices and picks it up, getting a nasty burn.

Only the dealers can do this, I have already suggested that Hank email all buyers immediately. Since many have already experienced it, it is not a ‘lightning strike’ event. Even one day delay could cause some injury.

Secondary (and less urgent) is to eventually compensate buyers in some way. Whether this is a discount, or a return program, or sending out free/discounted flashing kits … it is up to buyers to decide what is acceptable and to pressure Hank for a good resolution. If some buyers don’t care … that’s fine, it is their prerogative.

I’m running the test right now—4 minutes in. I won’t be attempting a re-flash regardless, as that task is beyond my abilities, I don’t have any kids and sending it back ain’t gonna happen, either. I will just not use muggle if I get a glitch, is all.

To me, Hank makes great lights and if one mode out of fifty is a bit dwanky, so be it.

Thanks Hank for making killer lights that punch way above their weight-class for next to nothing.

Chris

ETA:

Mine started strobing at about the 13-14 minute mark and began to heat up to the point that I felt that I needed to six-click and exit muggle mode. I then confirmed that I was out of muggle by ramping up to turbo.

ETA 2:

Before entering muggle mode, my VTC 5a was at 3.8v according to my battery check, FWIW.

No, I don’t think so. It all seems to be glued in pretty firmly.

The non-magnetic tailcap is recommended, if you don’t want a magnet.