Tofty's Custom and Modded Lights (Section 3 updated, 17th February 14)

If you get sick of your mill let me know. Thanks again for showing us your work. :beer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tungsten-Rod-Polished-1-D-x12-L-/400444342486?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d3c57c0d6

0.875ā€ O.D. is 1/3 the priceā€¦

yikes, thatā€™ll be an expensive torch!

Tofty, yep, not much point going to the Fens unless you have too. Definitely one for the agoraphobes to miss too :slight_smile: Beautiful lathe by the way, they have quite a following in the UK by all accounts. Oh, and I hope that work light on your mill is LED :wink:

I think it would cost more to ship it than it cost new. My pleasure cheers.

Thanks for the link, i hadn't seen that seller before. Unfortunately that stuff isn't quite suitable, as far as my understanding of machining tungsten goes; It's high purity tungsten (99.95%) which is very difficult to machine. A good machining grade alloy will be around 90-95% tungsten with the rest being iron and nickel, these alloys improve the cutting characteristics of the material by quite a bit, hopefully enough to make the impossible a reality.

It's good to have a ball park price figure though, i should only need about 150mm (6") so the cost could be a bit lower than $600 plus postage.

Expensive but hopefully indestructible, i'm always too careful with my torches and don't use them as i should, a torch that cannot be damaged might be the solution......or the fact that it would cost so much to replace might cause an even greater over-protectiveness.

The fens do look a bit bleak and open and i have a natural distrust of drained bogs and flood plains, too many poorly planned scout hikes i suspect.

The Myfords do seem to be held in some regard but more importantly there will always be parts and tooling available for them due to their popularity. Shame they went out of business a few years ago but new one's were hideously expensive. That one started out as a short bed ML7 (older model) off ebay and got slowly improved over time until the right upgrade was again found on ebay.

Alas the work lights are not LED, something does need to be done about the lighting situation in the workshop but it's at the back of a very long list of other jobs that need doing, one day though.

There is a copper-tungsten alloy called Elkonite. Used a lot for welding electrodes. Donā€™t know how it machinesā€¦

tofty, Iā€™d love to see some of these in person some time, truly I would, they really are awe inspiring.

Very impressive. I do some pottery, so I appreciate 3D art.

That might cost you a pint! Joking aside, I did get the chance some time back to meet Tofty and see/play with some of his toys. Heā€™s a jolly nice fella as well as a fantastic modder/maker.

There appear to be a full range of Elkonite alloys from consisting mostly of tungsten to mostly of copper. I want to use as dense and as strong an alloy as possible so some of the Elkonite alloys might be appropriate, i'll keep an eye out for them, cheers.

Thanks Gords, i try and make it to the CPF UK meets whenever possible, they're a good bunch but if there was a UK BLF meet i'd be up for that, where abouts are you based?

Thanks Fritz, i try and stay away from ceramics, you can't trust them. They change size and shape after you make them, i can't cope with that.

I'd like to see some pictures of your work if possible.

Cheers Essexman, as you've seen i've got even more to show off next time.

Section 4 updated but there's still more to come.....

Looking forward to the next Tritium update :wink:

Again orsm work. Love the taiilcap designs.

Oh hell!! thatā€™s another keyboard full of drool.
Fantastic workmanship and design, gobsmacked. :open_mouth:

Iā€™m based in wigan, but I get about quite a bit with work. We did discuss doing a blf meet but, I ended up moving house the weekend we planned on meeting lol, not the best planning there from gords.

Hopefully next year weā€™ll be able to plan something, depending on the outcome of mine and mrs gordsā€™ current project, little ones due around Christmas fingers crossed.

Where abouts are you based? Iā€™ll be sure to pester you if Iā€™m ever in the area.

Your creativity and imagination are out of this world. Thanks for allowing us to view these beautiful pieces of art. You must be an engineer or something of the sort.

When I was doing research, a friend made a ceramic piece to hold some electrodes at high temperature out of a ceramic material that is supposed to shrink by a predictable factor when it is fired. I wouldnā€™t suggest it for led flashlights, but for some purposes maybe.
I may post some pictures of pots somewhere, but at this time I am busy with other things. I use my fingers and prefer to avoid even ribs or sticks as I canā€™t feel through them.
When I was contracting with FMC there was an aluminum casting we had made from a 3D printing shape.
Silver is a great material for flashlights, except for its cost and weight. I think it has about the heat and electrical conductivity of copper and is corrosion resistant without surface treatment. Electrically conducting with little oxide or corrosion to interfere with electrical contact. I have made a little silver jewelery.

indestructible is good, although not caring too much about what they look like might be an easier solution :slight_smile:

Iā€™m keeping my eyes open for small to bench sized lathes here for whenever Iā€™m in one place long enough and have enough cash to buy one. Itā€™s an interesting toss up between a new Asian/ Chinese 7x14 to 9x20 lathe and smallish old American iron (Atlas/Craftsman/South Bend seem to be in a similar position to Myford in the UK) - new is new and they come with a lot of tooling as standard, whereas you can occasionally find some stunning deals on older equipment.

I know what you mean about projects and time. Still, I just made a garage light for my workbench and ā€œlatheā€ out of a chunk of alu and an old power cord and it makes a world of difference. No heat like incan but also no cold weather and warm up problems like CFL. Only cost ~$10 too :slight_smile:

DUDE!!! YOU are a rock and roll SUPERSTAR!!! Sweet work!!!

Until i can work out what to do with the long vials i don't really have anything new to show. I liked your clock idea the best but then i thought about a light the shape of the Gatlight but with the vials in place of the rods, probably in clear tubes. It's so stupid that it just might work (for those that aren't following; i got 15 green 50x3mm tritium vials recently but haven't a clue what to do with them).

Thanks, the copper tailcap came within an inch of being scrapped due to the unforgiving nature of copper when being machined, but i'm glad it turned out a well as it did, especially considering i had to turn it all down from 40mm diameter stock.

Thanks Steve, your keyboard still works though, that's good to know.

Congratulations on your 'current project', i've nothing to compete with that.

I'm on the Surrey/Hampshire border, close to Farnborough, let me know if your ever in the area, otherwise i'll keep an eye out for the next BLF meet.

Thanks Rebel, I'm sort of an engineer, more of a technician at the moment (professionally at least) but i've been trying to branch out into other fields.

I did actually try out some of the Macor machinable ceramic material a while ago which was certainly an interesting experiment but not entirely successful. Some ceramic compounds have quite good thermal properties so can be used for MCPCBs. Pottery is more art than science.

Not caring what they look like would be great, but i usually end up getting two of something if i plan to really use it, stupid i know.

It's a hard decision, as you've seen i sort of went for both, an old lathe but a new cheap mill. I'd say you can't really go wrong with either choice but a garage clearout sale can be a goldmine with a good lathe and hundreds of dollars worth of tooling quite often sold by people who know little to nothing about them. With all that i've learned about LED lighting i really ought to get going on a full worklight upgrade but it's never the priority, like a sticking door it's never the right time to fix it when your reminded of it.

Thanks, you should see what i did to the hotel room.

Section 4 updated again.

That seller has more you know :slight_smile: Iā€™m trying to resist buying any. Soo tempting. Just think of all the glow things you could make, earings, bracelets, necklace, keyfobs, paper weightsā€¦ā€¦

@Essexman: I've been trying to get some more but i must have lost my ebay bidding skill lately as i keep just getting outbid. I've got some bids on order from Shapeways so when they show up i'll do a proper tritium update, although i should really start another thread.

Section 4 updated.