Too Ugly, Cheap, Orange Ano -- you have to buy ...

Side clicky small one?! Nice! Hopefully the host isn't like the HF lights.

anyone take a shot at one of these…?

I bought this one for my 7yr to play with and recieved it last week. It’s actully not that bad for a sub $5 light, plus when he crushes, breaks, smashes or atomizes the light its no big loss :bigsmile:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261665058206?\_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Bought ’em both on the 27th, both were reported as shipped within 24 hours. Hope they compare to the Small Sun ZY-T11 — if so they’ll be even more cost-effective car/toolbox lights.

Interested to see how bad they really are….I used SC600 for some snake lights at work. My personal preference, but I am always keenly interested in something that does the job adequately in their place…At least for the guys at work who want a snake light but cant see clear to pay over $100 each….
Thanks
Tony

I also have the AA version and it runs only on 14500 and not really worth modding it. Cart find my Post but here is a review: CREE MT-17 XP-E 14500 only introduction/partial review
I modded Mine with a xpg2 on noctigon, but i Seldom use it. it is quite a big AA light and probably exactly made for use like you do it.

Received both “Tactical” lights today — 6 days from order placement to delivery in AZ. Can’t complain about that. The orange light’s actual color is somewhere between orange and brown, but the finish on both lights is very good considering the cost. Both arrived wrapped in 5 layers of bubble wrap.

They are, of course, not XM-L2. The closest match I can find among my other lights is XP-G2. Both work as advertised and thanks to smooth, surprisingly deep reflectors they throw nice tight beams, tighter than anything I’m matching them against (note that it’s midday here and I’m not even in a dark room). Those beams are definitely on the blue side, but not annoyingly so — I’d rather have a little blue than a little green.

Comparing them to some other pocket lights (Small Sun ZY-T11, Jetbeam RRT-01, DQG 26650) I’m comfortable saying output is in the 500 lumen range. Due to the tight beams I can overlay the “Tactical” beams on a ceiling or wall with the other mentioned lights and the “Tactical” beams are equal or brighter in intensity.

Threads are fine, o-rings are fine, clips are tight. I’ve got Sony US18650 GR pack pulls in them. I measured one at 4.19v then hooked an inexpensive charger to the light. There’s no charging indicator on the light. After 15 - 20 minutes, with the charger still showing a red light, the battery was at 4.22v. So, the charging port works but as expected it’s just a pass-through.

For the cost I have no complaints — I didn’t expect an XM-L2 or that level of performance. I’m looking forward to tonight to see how well the tight beams throw. As far as value, I would rather spend $3 more and get the 5 levels (vs. 3) and X-ML performance that the Small Sun ZY-T11s I bought a year ago had (and which sadly do not seem to be available now).

Forgot to mention that, as shown in the Ebay pics, the emitters appear cloudy, not clear. De-doming might have a significant impact on brightness and throw, but I’ll leave that to someone else.

yep, i have that same crappy 14500-only light (in a SmallSun moniker) thats difficult to mod at all, has parasitic drain, bulky for a AA light, not very bright, crappy modes, un-safe built in charge port, ugly, waste-of aluminum, etc.

Throw is very good for a light this size. It’s almost full dark here, and I was able to light the top of a high-tension tower that’s about 100 yards behind my home. Not like a real thrower — the Couroi D01, Acebeam X-40 and Yezl Y3 do a better job — but if someone had been up there I’d have seen ’em. Throw was better than the Small Sun, even though the lights are the same length, because the reflector on the “Tactical” is deeper.

Thanks for the report JeffN. I like the look of this light. I gave my one compact 18650 side switch light to a forum member. So I'm glad I have one of these on the way. Star Momentary and bigger emitter should make it a nice replacement.

If it’s the one where you have to go H>L>STROBE>OFF there is no way to get rid of those as the strobe is part of the mode rotation…if it was a clicky, you could pencil lead/resistor mod the capacitor (~330K Ω for approx 5 sec reset to default mode H in this case)

I hate strobe mode in the mode rotation just to turn it off…bleh

I always find multiplying the Chilumen rating by .3 to give a fair real work approximation

You would have to put momentary firmware on the MCU…plus the switch is soldered on at 90 degrees

more or less unless you build a complete custom driver from scratch…you are stuck with the stock mode rotation :frowning:

^ 105 should work with any typical 3 volt LED. It will burn off the excess voltage.

WarHawk, just strip the components off the stock driver and piggy back another driver. Here's an example done by CK in a real tight pill. It had a charger port too.

there is its :wink: I KNEW someone did it before I just didn’t know where to reference it too…thanks!!!

FastTech appear to have the same lights on offer at $5.50 with a crappy battery and charger.

I can’t seem to do a direct link, you have to enter 6180 in the keyword search.

Sure looks like the same light, but if it is, it’s the first time I’ve seen the output on a Chinese light >underrated<. Mine compare to other lights known to be around 500 lumens, unless the deeper reflectors and smaller emitters are focusing the beams so they look brighter than they actually are. Very little spill/flood. I’ll agree with the 100 meter beam range.

I asked both Ebay sellers why the lights didn’t have XM-L2s — both said, in effect, these are the latest versions of the light and asked if I liked it.

^ You have to purchase from the page linked above by clicking on "Add offer to cart". If you purchase from the product page, the normal price will be charged.

Not sure I helped, but you're welcome buddy. What color did you buy?

I ordered two of these from eBay, they're black though! I kinda wish I had got one black one orange. my first initial impression was that they are mediocre at best. The threads are sort of rough cut, the aluminum that holds the pill or board in doesn't have holes to remove it, but they really aren't too bad. The reflector seems like it wants to throw more than flood, and they're certainly brighter than I expected them to be! One of them the switch is finicky, I have to push it twice or push it a direction, it's probably loose inside or something?! They should work well for a gift and a modded light.