Triple XP-G2 S6 Build

Someone needs to shorten one to take an 18350.

I did that with a Roche F12 triple XPG2 I modded last year.

Only hand tools though. I cut a big section out of the center of the battery tube, then glued the 2 remaining halves of the tube back together with super glue gel. Before glue I used a pin-vice drill to drill small holes in the edges of the tube, into which I inserted small brass rods. This made the gluing much stronger. Hasn’t fallen apart yet even with the tension of the battery spring pulling on the glue.

A better option would probably be to solder the 2 halves together, but my cheap soldering iron isn’t capable of soldering large chunks of aluminum. Before I resorted to super-glue I tried assembling it with low-temp solder paste and then baking the whole thing in the oven. Unfortunately, this failed to make a strong bond.

An even better option would be to cut the tube then cut new threads so that the shorter battery tube is in 1 piece. Unfortunately, I don’t have the tools for that.

That is a very nice light.
Now I have to order parts :slight_smile:

What is the difference between the S2 vs S3 host? Not sure which to get.

The S2 is slightly longer than the S3, 124mm vs 115mm. I don’t have either of these lights but looking at the pictures on FastTech I’d say the difference in in the length of the reflectors.

I’d say the important difference from a modding standpoint is that the S2 has seperate head, battery tube and tail cap. The S3 has the head as an integral part of the battery tube. I think it would be a bit harder building the S3.

I got both S2 and S3 bare hosts. The S3 has the shallower reflector, so for a triple mod, less spacer material is needed. S3 has the removable bezel, so you work from the top down, while the S2 is not removable so you work from battery tube side. I've done several S3 mods but all single emitter - nice because you can easily use a TIR optic (single) because of the short reflector.

Hi,

Old-Lumens has a Youtube video where he shows how he cuts down (shortens) a body/battery tube using a dremel and a vise. I think it was titled “Human Lathe”:

https://www.google.com/search?q=old-lumens+human+lathe&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS541US541&oq=old-lumens+human+lathe&aqs=chrome..69i57.5618j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Jim

Thanks for the input guys. It's very helpful!

Just found this comparison on IS website showing size comparison of the Convoy family and thought it may be helpful. I added a table showing dimensions and specs of some of the hosts.

Length (mm)

Width (mm)

Weight (g)

124g

76g

67g

68g

# Body parts

Removable bezel

yes

no

no

yes

Battery fitment

Protected, Unprotected

Protected, Unprotected

Unprotected

Protected, Unprotected

another great small triple

The M1 is gorgeous :slight_smile:

The M1 is a great single 18650 light, I have two. First one is an XM-L2, de-domed at 4.5A, second one is MT-G2 direct drive, pulls about 6A off AW IMR 18350s…for a very short time!

Is there a carclo that fits the M1 or M2? RMM's carclo's are a few mm too small.