Tritium Vials (Trits) now at BangGood-(Other colors added)

Cause it’s sticking way out basically preventing any sort of flush mount job where you make a hole/cavity for the vial to fit in to then encase it in norland.

Plus it just looks so delicate.

Interesting. GB anyone? :slight_smile:

Is this price even cheap in the first place tho?

I spotted those at BG too. Not familiar with pricing of them, but it seems to be an art to adding/modding them into things. Machining gaps into a host, or just plain gluing them - I'd worry about losing them though if just glued.

I could see how something can be done with them, in like a Convoy S4. Trick'n out a light... Smile

1.5mm x 6mm in orange, green, blue or yellow (added to OP)

The pricing on these aren’t really great.

Our member Eclipsesharp had a better deal for these 3 x 22.5mm trits. ($18.99 vs. $16.04)

Two things:

DO NOT BREAK/CUT THEM OPEN. SIMPLE AS THAT.

Is that picture with the yellow ones a CPF photo? I swear I have seen it before.

According to my old text book, the half life of tritium is 12.3 years. I don’t know if the phosphor lasts that long.
I will probably get one.

It will take some determination to obtain any ill effects from the tiny amount of tritium in one of those vials. Even if a vial is bitten open and swallowed, I doubt it will do much harm (the glass will, though ;-) )

Yeah, one cell-phonecall is probably worse. :stuck_out_tongue:

It certainly is if you talk on it while you drive.

while eating trits.

Yes, trits do sound like something one would buy at 7/11.
Maybe the reason they use gas instead of solid, like on my old tritium watch, is that decay electrons don’t make hard long range X-rays when they scatter from other tritium atoms.

I think they use the gas form for safety: when a trit breaks the gas will immediately thin out in the air and be gone, a solid remains a potential hazard.

I think tritium is a gas at STP because it’s an isotope of hydrogen.

It is, but if convenient, hydrogen can be made in any form by incorporating it in any organic molecule, e.g. you can make any plastic with all hydrogen atoms replaced by tritium.

Interesting, didn’t know that. I don’t think I’ve seen any solid tritium products. Maybe they don’t glow as brightly?

If the trits are this cheap, I’m surprised that no one is building cheaper lights with them. By cheaper, I mean less than $200…

I’d be interested in a having a light with some trits if it used a reasonable battery like 18650, reasonable led like xml2, and reasonable price…

Haven't heard about solid tritium containing molecules either, but I'm no expert on such tihngs. Wikipedia does mention tritiated water T2O .

Also, the output per tritium would be less if the tritium were combined with something else, unless it were the phosphor. A beta ray might hit one of the other atoms of the solid and be lost.