TrustFire X100 CREE XM-L T6 7-LED 8000-Lumen 5-Mode Memory Flashlight - Black Aluminum Alloy Finish (3/4*26650)

Welcome aboard, bbmoolman!

Oh okay, thanks. 7mm sounds a little, but I suppose it would help. Looks like a sick puppy torch tho. Batteries would cost a fortune!.

Thanks

_ Am I the only one to notice, this x100 seems very close looking to the big HID lights ?_
[/quote]

Overall form factor is very similar, same goes for Lumens / watt efficiency where both are in the 70-85 bulb Lumens/watt ballpark. But I think it ends there. HIDs radiate photons in a near-spherical pattern, maybe ~280 degrees. LEDs radiate in a half-sphere pattern. HIDs also are a single point source for all of their radiated light, in the 2-4000 lumen ballpark. While most LEDs don’t have the brightness to match that, so designers use multiple LEDs in a reflector array. The resulting beam patterns are vastly different as a result, where multi-LED arrays tend to flood and HID beams can be more easily concentrated in an (overall) equally sized reflector dish. The exception to this would be the SST90 in a BIG reflector dish, which can match a mid-sized 30-35 watt HID like the Stanley spotlight in a lot of ways.

CRI is still different though. A 5000K tint HID has excellent CRI characteristics while LED CRI starts to go flat with the more pale-white tints such as this. For whatever reason, LEDs still need warm-slight-amberish tints to achieve their high CRI. LED and HID are very polar opposite in the sense that warmer color HIDs emit more lumens/watt, while LEDs are the complete opposite.

OT warning… I wish they made a Trustfire X6 in 3x26650 form and pushed it with ~35 watts. That would be a monster.

I know that led has many benefits, but to carry an extra large led flashlight with 4x 26650 and 3500 lumens, why not carry a 85 watt hid with a 8700 mah battery producing 7000 lumens and equivalent in size and price ?

The part that’s hard to understand is that we are the ones forking out the money for these projects…… He he ….

Weight for one thing. An SLA cell of that magnatude will be 2-3x as heavy as a LiNiCoMn cell array…

http://www.batteryspace.com/Powerizer-LiFePO4-Battery-12V-7.5Ah-96Wh-15A-rate-with-PCM.aspx

http://www.batteryspace.com/sealedacidbattery12v75ahforemergencylight2pcs.aspx

The other thing too is SLA Amp-hour capacity saggs LIKE CRAZY under load. So your 7-8 Ah SLA cell will only be ~4-5 Ah under load, and the harder they are driven the lower their capacity really is. An HID that draws 85 Watts will need a HUGE SLA, to yield an “honest” 8.7Ah system under load.

I have lugged a 55W - 7Ah HID setup on an easy-flat trail for an evening, and its really no picnic.

I didn’t want to high jack this thread, I apologize…… But power in lumens should head toward the skyray King and Tm11 heading. Let’s not forget the Dry ! Imagine a small light able to pump 4000 lumens OTF with a 2 hour run time and on your belt in her little pouch !!! Ahhhh my dream will come true …. I was offered on eBay a X100 with 4 King Kong batteries inc. Shipping $150.00 by a seller with 100% feedback… I’m thinking on jumping in …

I would use protected batteries with 3 or 4 in series

Any new comments from the x100 users ?

OHHH SNAP

I have that Trustfire J12 light.

Or at least I did.

Now all three of my favourite lights are with my girlfriend at her place - a 3 x Cree 3 x 18650 TF, 1x Cree 1x18650 generic and that 7x Cree Monster.

I have an issue though, with the monster and with the other torches too - the batteries they came with were ABYSMAL; the exception being the 7x but we’ll get to that.

The two 18650 torches came with these blue recycled batteries labelled 2000 mAh or something yet only performed to about 1-200. Thats 1 mAh to 200 mAh.

I got partial refunds then overcharged them and stuck them in the trusty regular 6v torches that always come with hopeless pairs of 6v batteries that leak and die, so now those torches have a new lease on life and those batteries aren’t headed back into the “cycle” of re-cycle.

Now the case for the 26650 batteries that came with the Cree 7x is different in that they were advertised as “Ultrafire 5000 mAh” when really after a 20USD refund and having one fail completely they turned out to be “Sony 26650VT 2400mAh”.
All three of those batteries (which were obviously recycled and repackaged after heavy use) performed only to 2000 mAh so I got a refund on the grounds that you can’t falsely advertise a higher end product and accept someones hard earned then tell them that they should only expect a portion of the money back when it doesn’t perform as advertised.

Anyway the batteries all consistently managed 2000 mAh+–20mAh (kudos to sony) and at least the seller at the good sense to send actual matched batteries that would not blow up together. I shudder to think that if I didn’t take care with the blue batteries there could have been another hand causality on these forums. I don’t let my girlfriend have a charger or load the 3x Cree torch, and told her the moment it starts flashing disco to stop using it and unload it or this will happen. That said I use only the most stable of Li-on cell when loading it and I balance charge them in parallel.

A good note about the 7x Cree Trustfire torch is to never drop it, the glass could shatter (hasn’t yet) however if you drop it so it lands on it’s end you’ll end up with a dent in the end of one of your batteries, and thankfully for me when I had dropped it the batteries were sony and have an in-built pressure cut off which basically physically deforms the battery internally near the positive end when the pressure gets above the threshold and turns the battery into one big conductor (or rolling paperweight:).

So now I have taken the plunge and ordered in some of the LiFePO4 batteries from A123 systems that I have been planning on getting for some time, and by some I mean 10 and by some I mean months damn you!

I will post up some sort of a review of how well the remaining two ultrafire sony batteries stack up against the A123s when they come in. For those of you who don’t know, LiFePO4 or Lithium Iron Phosphate have very high current, slightly lower voltage and about half the capacity of lithium cobalt batteries, and the A123 system batteries use “a proprietary form of lithium iron phosphate” which they claim can deliver higher power and safety. These batteries can sustain a 70A output for 10 seconds and perform better at 40-60 degrees Celsius than at room temperature, they don’t suffer the bulging/explosive issues that regular Li-Ion have.

Now I just ordered those batteries 2 days ago from China so we wont know if they are authentic till they get here otherwise I’ll have to order from Victoria at double the price, but now there’s a new kid on the block with the X100 and my wallet hand is thinking about how about we put some 4 A123 (i.e. A123.4:) batteries in that and see if we cant start an (accidental) house-fire.

Just one question - will it be the house that is set on fire first or the torch? I will make sure to sit on my paypal hand for the next week till I can justify upgrading to the X100.

PS. First time back to this forum in months and about to be $100 (give or take) poorer - but so much brighter :smiley:

Sounds like you got an ebay special

Just ordered one from Ali Express for $72.76 shipped. I just hope this is indeed the real thing:

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/224242247.html