TrustFire X7 - Review & Mod thread - SST-50, MT-G2, XHP-35 HI = FANTASTIC RESULTS!

Im glad that you discovered how well this light caters to the MT-G2. Can you please post your tail amp measurement in high mode with 3 fully charged cells (if you are able)? Thanks.

FlashPilot, my apologies for not doing this earlier! I’m in exam mode right now, so all my flashlight stuff is packed away twitch :wink:

But I’ll tell you what, I’ll mark it in my calendar to run the test when my exams are over.

In the mean time, I can tell you that I ran similar tests to yours when I performed the upgrade. If I recall correctly, my tail cap currents were in line with yours. I can confirm in about two weeks.

Thanks Rollinstone. Since there are many variations of this driver in other lights or sold separately, Im curious if my stock driver performed within the normal range as shipped with this particular light. I certainly didnt expect such a high tailcap current with MT-G2… not that Im complaining. :bigsmile:

Understood!

If you haven’t tried the 3000K 90 CRI MT-G2 yet, you really should—it’s awesome! The color is slightly whiter than a classic incandescent, the color rendition is noticeably better than the 5000K MT-G2. Seeing how well the 5000K 80 CRI MT-G2 renders color, that statement carries a lot of weight. It’s also easier on the eyes than the piercing white of the 5000K MT-G2. I certainly appreciate both quite a lot, but I have a soft spot in my heart for the lesser known of the MT-G2’s!

I think I’m going to gift my dad the one with the 3000K MT-G2 along with some NCR18650B’s and a NiteCore i4. Still need to pot the driver, upgrade the wiring, and adjust my copper emitter spacers (I used 2 discs, 1 would be better!) but I think he will like that light quite a lot.

Have you had any issues with protected cells? I have an obscene collection of laptop pulls right now so I’ve been using those with this light.

That is a very nice light to mod with MT-G2, great results , thanks.

Its interesting that you mentioned the 3K/90 MTG2. Ive been considering that one for a while, but I prefer a cooler white/higher K for higher contrast in most of my flashlights. 1A XML has been my preference in most builds. Ive compared the tint of my X7 - 5K/80 MTG2 directly to my XML 3C flashlights, and they seem about identical. I completely agree with your assessment that high CRI is definitely more friendly with the eyes. Especially when used in wide area flood lighting/casual/lazy/drink a beer/pinch your girls butt, type of settings. :bigsmile:

Ive been running a large rare 3K/97 CRI Bridgelux RS emitter at full rated output @100 watts/3.75A for 7140 lumens. How do I set up a Meanwell CV/CC driver for my Bridgelux array? Beyond the sheer even blanket of light, the mega-CRI is what makes me smile the most. Girlfriend seems to like it too… time for a pinch. Haha!

Its a great time to be alive for the LED lumen junkie. There’s so many great choices, and one for everyone.

I doubt you’ll see a bump by running larger wires or potting unless you resistor mod for higher amps. If your driver delivers the amps mine does, eeking more out of it will give you a light that overheats very quickly and with diminishing gains in lumens. IMO, mine delivers about 1 amp more to the emitter than Id consider optimum for 3 x 18650/heat/runtime in this host combo. My take: leave it as is and smile that you have a great one to play with. Speaking of which, can you please get a tail current in high mode when you have a chance? I guess I should also ask of you have a decent DMM… just a reminder. :wink:

I personal dont use protected cells to often. But then, I always test cell voltage a day after charging and match my cells by voltage before they go into a serial config light. I also test voltage again after the run. Maybe thats overkill for some, but for many its not. I dont think the X7 driver has a low voltage warning, so its probably not the best gift for someone that isnt going to be religious about testing voltage as just mentioned. I tend to sell very few serial lights because most people could get into trouble with them (even while using protected cells).

I just checked 2 versions of NCR18650B’s for you. Protected cells will fit but only allow you to screw down the tail cap 1/2 of the way. Unprotected button tops are a perfect fit.

Ive just got to say… that after reading all the MTG2 flashlight threads, I think this combo still blows away any other MTG2 light for the price. Its a simple mod that provides fantastic results. If you shop around, you could probably build one for around $60-70. If you can solder 2 wires and sand a copper disk, you can easily do this mod yourself. If you need help or advice, just ask! :bigsmile:

X7 mod with MT-G2 Beam shot. Note that the camera settings were manipulated to prevent overexposure. It was actually FAR brighter to the human eyes.

Thanks for this excellent review, have bought one from a well known auction site to play around with, some of the ones listed claim to be xm-l2 but looking at images they are still xm-l t6, im new to the forum but electrically capable and looking forward to playing around with it! Work calls for being able to occasionally patrol the perimeter of a factory building, or look into the midst of a wet misty machine, hoping this will achieve both. Thanks again, Corin

For the price, the X7 is probably one of the most overlooked great budget lights of its type. If yours doesn’t come equipped with an XM-L2, it will be very easy to swap one in (2 solder connections). I would recommend an XM-L2 emitter mounted on a copper board of direct thermal pad design. If you carry a light continuously in your hands for any amount of time, you’ll find the long slender tubes much more ergonomic to hold than the short fat tube designs stuffed full of cells (2,3 or 4 x 18650 in a short fat tube). Let us know how you like your X7 once you have some time to play with it.

Yes it was the price, the 2/3 cell option and the modifiabilty that attracted me, hence not going for the similar looking 2 cell ultrafire. Also the seemingly higher current driver is a good starting point I reckon :slight_smile: Some further Led research is required to better my understanding (last night I learnt about throw :smiley: ) then you.can expect to see me popping up on group buys or FS threads hahaha. Cheers again.

Hi all, not sure if this question is off-topic but where can I get the cheapest Trustfire X7 nowadays?

Thanks in advance.

Check ebay & aliexpress.com

Hi, is the TrustFire X7 reflector the same size as X6?
I’ve found in this thred: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?312240-Review-Trustfire-X6-SST-90-OUTDOOR-BEAM-SHOTS-ADDED
that the X6 reflector is 70x57.7mm deep. Can’t find the dims of X7.
Also do they have a full pill/ no holes under emitter?

It’s 50mm deep and a very nice reflector too. It has an integrated shelf, so no pill, which is actually best for heat transfer. It’s a solid shelf with no holes.

Thank you 18sixfifty. So the X6 seems a bit dipper. I’m looking for a perfect host for XHP mod. :slight_smile:

If you can find it they also make an ultrafire version of the X6 it’s pretty much the same light but if you can find them they cost about half as much as the trustfire one.

Yes but i’ve herd they have hole beneath star: http://minus.com/meQCJkgXWrp7y

Guys if you are looking for X7 good price here is one for you: http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S024546
What is with this number of cells? Some say it’s 3x18650, another that it’s 4x18650?
I need four, does this one need two extension tubes or what?
Another thing what is the diameter size of the driver in X7?

It sounds like you’re considering an XHP35 mod. If that’s a genuine Trustfire you linked (and assuming the quality didnt take a plunge), that would be quite a respectable price for an X7. I dont think Ive ever seen an X7 version with 4 x 18650. They are all 3 x 18650. Do you have a link?

I wonder if an additional extension tube could be purchased through Trustfire direct? If you find a source for an extension tube, please post back and let me know. None of the tubes from my other lights will interchange.

Im on vacation and dont have the light handy, but I think the driver was 23mm (same as TR-3T6 driver). Maybe others can chime in.