trying to consolidate all ZeusRay posts

Mine focus worse than the original, but i still like it better anyway because it has a much nicer NW led, and sorry haven’t opened mine yet.

I'm going to tear mine open soon to reflow the LEDs to copper, but I'm worried I'm going to annihilate the brown retention disc since my thermal glue hasn't come in yet.

Dealmetic sent me two replacements for one zeusray that died out. I received the 1st replacement last week they said it is from the bad batch. It is exacly the same from the bad batch but it is still working fine. I already reflowed the emitter to a sinkpad and the emitter is still ok. Also good focus.

Today i received the 2nd replacement they said it’s from the good batch. The pill has no holes in the rim. I just drilled 2 holes in it to remove the pill, that’s the only way to remove it. Not good focus because there is no extra aluminum star at the bottom of the original aluminum star. Reflowed the emitter to a sinkpad, got good focus. The emitter is also like a neutral white. Dedomed the emitter using gasoline and now i have a warmer white tint. Very nice tint, no green color more like incandescent bulb light but a little bit cooler.

Anyone knows what bin is the emitter form the new batch of zeusray? Planning to buy bin like that and dedome it because i really like the tint of it after dedoming. I don’t like 1A because after dedoming it’s bit greenish.

Interesting that you got good focus after reflow to the thicker sinkpad, maybe they planned to upgrade the design to a copper dtp mcpcb
(i have asked for that several times already) but changed there mind, and got stuck with lots of out of focus Zeusrays.

About the possible tints of the led, i would guess maybe 1D or 2A, but i haven’t seen very many confirmed tints yet.

It still has lots of blue in it if i compare it with a proper NW tint like 3D or 3C, and i would think a XM-L2 would have to be under the black body line on the ANSI chart to dedome nice and not go overly yellow or green, because the XM-L2 often goes 3-4 to the left and 1 up on the chart.

I am curious what other thinks of the hue and if i am on the right track, tint spotting is fun :slight_smile:

2mm thick Sinkpad board, right? That would be perfect for the extra-deep cutout, since the stock board is 1mm and the shim is also 1mm.

So none of your emitters have the purple-red pattern showing when they’re focused?
Seems the 2 I got like that —- warmer and dimmer — were yet another variation or “use what have you” product of the moment.

Maybe they’re figuring it out.

Yes 2mm thick Sinkpad board.
With and without dome, they have the purple-red pattern like from your thread here

Mine has the same pinkish spots. Doesn’t bother me though I’m not chasing white walls.

I can confirm there is no shim underneath the MCPCB, but I did not take a picture of it.

Hmmm, sounds to me like the latest batch still has the pill drilled too deep, they just didn’t bother putting the packer in to get the focus right. So we are still not back to the original specs.

I hate the latest one. Mine started flickering after just a couple minutes, and I’m sure it is about to die like the last one.

I have the Ultrafire version of this light. Where is the best place to get the “good” Zeusray version for the price ? I’m assuming this is the one: https://www.dealmetic.com/product.asp?ID=FL05518
i don;t know what a “pillow hole” is supposed to be. :Sp

Dealmetic definitely tried to make this right, by sending out replacements, which were also bad, then replacements for the replacements, which were supposed to be back to good. I really admire and respect the way they handled it and stepped up, so I don’t know if I am going to bother complaining to them anymore. The fact is though, I was hoping for one functioning Zeusray, and I have three that don’t/won’t work.

“solid pillow hole” is their attempt to understand “solid pill” — they originally were, probably still are, selling a $5 version of this zoomie with an older emitter and a hollow pill.

Lightjunkie, can you give us a pointer to or a reprise on the whole story about how this all got started?

With roughly 1.4 billion people living in China, I’d think there are many, many more opportunities for folks worldwide to cooperate in helping create better products.
This story at least started out astonishingly well. We don’t really know much about how and when it went sideways or why they’re still stumbling instead of recovering.

Yep, its dead.

Cute pics :slight_smile:
I like how your cat snuggles up to your son :slight_smile:

They’re such cuddlers. Thanks!

In regards of the battery does the Zeusray take either the flat top, button top or both?

I just ordered two zeusrays. I hope they are not “turdrays”. Wish me luck.

both

Use protected cells.
Or replace the driver with a proper one that has a low-voltage warning / shutoff.