trying to consolidate all ZeusRay posts

I guess you already find it, but there is steel epoxy (stålepoxy) in our store that I think is simular to JB weld. Paint you can find at OK, mekonomen and such. Finns motorfärg och grenrörsfärg, vanlig mattsvart av bra fabrikat pallar rätt höga temperaturer också.

Sweet light, but modded right out of the budget category.

I just filed a bezel ring of a similar light so the beam doesn’t hit it. I am thinking of black using model airplane dope inside, as I think that can stand the heat, but flat black would be better.
Added: Painting the inside black did help reduce rings from an SK-58. What remains is a yellow halo.
Added later: I tried it on my ZeusRay. I painted everything except the dark brown ring that holds the star in, even the unused surfaces of the lens. I don’t notice any difference.

Thanks Zanders, bra info
You say in our stores, any tips on where, or is it the usual like Biltema, Mekonomen and such stores you mean?

Did you use matte black on the Zeusray? try painting the brown ring also, when i tried the tape experiment i covered the whole area but a small hole for the led and that improved the beam a lot.

Tangentially, here’s another different light — AA sized — also being made with a bored out pill and flat plate shim filling it.

From the pictures, it looks just about the same inside as the bad batch of ZeusRays: Review: Mystery UltraFire 1x14500 light host/mod potential

More evidence toward the notion that there’s really only one guy making flashlights in China, and one company behind all the websites selling them?

How else would this screwup appear the same way on different lights the same way? Command coming down from the supreme leaders to “just drill the pills out and slap shims in the hole”?

Someone actually paid $88 for VNray . Hope he does not regret. Do not get me wrong, Zuesray is damn good light at its price point. After gotten 5 pieces in the past, I am not going to pay anything more than $10.

Japp, the usual shops. Plastic padding call it “Kemisk metall”.
Här går dom igenom det lite grann! https://www.maskinisten.net/viewtopic.php?t=21471
Stål epoxi Biltema. Stål-epoxy, tvåkomponents - Biltema.se Rätt så grovmalen!

Thanks, Biltemas verkar prisvärt :slight_smile:

Today i modded one of my good Zeusray’s with an XP-L V6 3A on sinkpad with a 18awg wires bypass on the bottom spring, and 18awg wire bypass for led - drilled through & soldered to stripped the driver board, and the led + wire bypassed straight through to the top of the bat + spring.

For an DD single mode super :smiley: Zeusray, and let me tell you this is CRAZY bright & it throws at least twice with a much brighter spot.

I would estimate it to be at least 1500 lumens probably a bit more on the 20R :slight_smile:

I know several of you have gotten extra turdrays & if you have thought about it, DO IT :slight_smile: it is a quick mod & it makes the Zeusray at least twice the light it was before :bigsmile:

Of course i will get hot potentially very hot, i always say it gets as hot as you want :smiley: if you don’t like the intense hand warming action :wink: just shut it off & let it cool for some seconds it will cool off very fast.

I waited for nightfall all day & just tested it out & i just couldn’t stop giggling to myself it is just SO bright & shoots such an intense beam now……much more fun & i am very glad i did it.

Sounds like a very cool light! Was the light slightly modded before? Or just stock?
What do you est. the kcd to be in zoom mode? Are you able to take out the ringy artifacts?

This Zeusray was one i had dedomed the stock led on before.

Unfortunately i have too little experience with known throwers with a known tested range to be able to give an estimate on kcd, but it should be roughly double of the stock Zeusray at least.

I liked this so much that i have a turdray here i plan to test a dedomed XP-L V6 1A on sinkpad in, my hunch is that the V6 1A have even slightly more lumens stock than the NW V6 3A & many here say that the xp-l’s dedomes extra nice so i am very curious how much a zeusray can really throw, i can’t even imagine a possible twice the distance i get now…….but i want to see it :smiley: i must see it :bigsmile: this is the first time i start to get why some people gets so exited by crazy throwers, and this modded zeusray is probably a little kid in most proper crazy throwers lights eyes.
But for as little money as a Zeusray & a XP-L V6 3A from LEDDNA i can’t imagine there can be many light that come close :smiley:

The very strange thing about the artifacts are, the XP-L looks so much different than the XM-L2 for some strange reason when i zoom max i get an almost circular die image……very unusual but i like it it looks great, i haven’t done any attempts to clean up the beam yet & like color the inside black or limit the reflections from the bezel.

And i wouldn’t say that it is perfectly sharp but then i have never seen a perfectly zoomed XP-L so don’t really know what look for.

The biggest problem i will attempt to fix is i used 18awg thick wires so there was no way the brown protection disc could fit over them sitting on the pads……so now i can see a little glimmering from the glistening wires in the zoomed beam, i haven’t figured out yet if i can do anything about that.

I probably test out & build the dedomed XP-L V6 1A zeusray idea before i get to any artifacts tuning.

Wouldn’t 22awg be enough for the job?

I was going to say the same thing…18ga is a bit overkill

But…overkill is “what we do” :wink:

Anyone bought a ZeusRay recently? Still the same "new" version from January?

I could probably have used a thinner wire & the difference between the 18awg & 22awg is probably at most a few %.

But i was going for absolute max on lowering the resistance in the circuit, and yeah on a balls to the walls hot rod build :smiley: like this, overkill is the idea :bigsmile: otherwise i just know i would have been wondering afterwards if i could have squeezed a bit more out of it :slight_smile:

EDIT
I just realized that i am a bit confused about what is the correct terminology in my post above here, if i make the zoom show the small die is that zoomed in or out?

> thinner wire

Or try gently flattening the last bit of wire with a hammer. That will ‘work harden’ it so be careful not to break it off (heat from soldering will soften the copper a bit)

There is no zoom “out” or “in” — there is only zoom or not zoom.

LOL yeah you are right.

EDIT
So strange i don’t know what i was thinking about, just tired i guess :slight_smile: i removed my strange in & out reference in that post.

Sounds like a little kid who just got a candy. :smiley:

Or a very throwy flashlight :smiley: kids like these thing (bright flashlights) as much as we do, problem is kids are not careful so one have to be super watchful i you do that.

I know i as a little kid would have been amazed by these things.

And i actually have not eaten any candy or white sugar for over 7 years now, that a big reason why i can feel such a big excitement from visual stimuli.

When i are not upsetting my body’s homeostasis by introducing the pleasure i get from sugar or other fast carbs, i get more response from stimuli thats introduced by my other senses :wink: