trying to consolidate all ZeusRay posts

> appropriate material

A few layers of old inner tube (maybe with a donut hole so it doesn’t press the emitter) might do it, grabby and slightly compressible

I have noticed over the last few days that i really like the new zeusray. More than the old and my dedomed old zeusray, i find that i have picked that one every time i needed a bigger 18650 light for some in house illumination.

The tint is much much nicer than the old very cold tint, and the dedomed one if find cast a not so very nice green cast on things in house, outside thats not so much of an issue but in house this new much more neutral batch of leds in the new zeusray is much nicer :slight_smile:

I have to add that although it is a nicer than the other zeusray i have. it still can’t compare to the XP-L V6 3D’s tint, that is just as great white tint i have seen yet, but it cost almost as much as the whole zeusray.

But when i went to buy some more from Hank today he was all out………every single one, single or on Noctigon gone in a matter of days, it is so strange he must have had over 100 combined just some days ago, now all he has is 2C & 3C instead.

I guess i have to buy some V6 3A from LEDDNA instead and see how those compare.

Hank is turning more into a wholesaler than retailer. Wonder if they may show up in a few days at MtnE? But not just Richard, he does some higher volume resale on LED's and Noctigons. I just got in a $200 order form him myself - multi-emitter mods sure go thru a lot...

I agree bout the tints - I have XM-L2 4C's in a few lights I really like now, both reflectors and zoomies. This is my favorite NW tint right now, better than 3C's or 4D's in my oponion. Ohh - my order included 5 bare XP-L V6 3D's Smile !! Haven't seen them yet though in a light. Plan is to use 4 on a Quad in a BLF X6 using nitro's heat sink.

Thought I’d try and make it easier to ID which of my Zeusray’s I de-domed when sitting on the shelf. Turned out pretty well I think.

That’s pretty cool. How did you do that?

Remove all the plastic, electronics and o-rings and bake the head and body tube in the oven at high temps for 20-30 mins.

@Tom E,

I guess thats an good lesson to learn from this if you find some tint and lumens bin you like, buy some extra before they are gone.
The highest flux bins with the nicest hue bin looks to be kind of rare.

I can’t wait to hear what you think of the 3D compared to your current favorite 4C, i hope a dedomed XP-L V6 3A will end up somewhere around 4D maybe even 4C.

I plan my quad X6 build to use 1 V6 3D, 1 V6 3A, 1 V6 3C, 1 V6 2C, i hope it should provide an even nicer more wide spectrum hue when combined, but i plan to use the CUTE-4 optic with the 4 copper mcpcb’s on the lower spacer instead of the higher spacer with the smaller mcpcb and the Carclo optic.

I got my replacement ZeusRays yesterday, took one to my night spot and took some beam pictures...

http://imgur.com/a/mqY9D/embed#0
tint is pretty close to neutral white for me!

Got my replacement today, and surprise surprise it still works after 5 minutes. Like others have said the led is a much better neutral tint. Not bad for $8, and finally a company that does what it says it will do.

Can you guys check if it has the proper solid pill or the crappy shim? Does it focus perfectly?

Mine focus worse than the original, but i still like it better anyway because it has a much nicer NW led, and sorry haven’t opened mine yet.

I'm going to tear mine open soon to reflow the LEDs to copper, but I'm worried I'm going to annihilate the brown retention disc since my thermal glue hasn't come in yet.

Dealmetic sent me two replacements for one zeusray that died out. I received the 1st replacement last week they said it is from the bad batch. It is exacly the same from the bad batch but it is still working fine. I already reflowed the emitter to a sinkpad and the emitter is still ok. Also good focus.

Today i received the 2nd replacement they said it’s from the good batch. The pill has no holes in the rim. I just drilled 2 holes in it to remove the pill, that’s the only way to remove it. Not good focus because there is no extra aluminum star at the bottom of the original aluminum star. Reflowed the emitter to a sinkpad, got good focus. The emitter is also like a neutral white. Dedomed the emitter using gasoline and now i have a warmer white tint. Very nice tint, no green color more like incandescent bulb light but a little bit cooler.

Anyone knows what bin is the emitter form the new batch of zeusray? Planning to buy bin like that and dedome it because i really like the tint of it after dedoming. I don’t like 1A because after dedoming it’s bit greenish.

Interesting that you got good focus after reflow to the thicker sinkpad, maybe they planned to upgrade the design to a copper dtp mcpcb
(i have asked for that several times already) but changed there mind, and got stuck with lots of out of focus Zeusrays.

About the possible tints of the led, i would guess maybe 1D or 2A, but i haven’t seen very many confirmed tints yet.

It still has lots of blue in it if i compare it with a proper NW tint like 3D or 3C, and i would think a XM-L2 would have to be under the black body line on the ANSI chart to dedome nice and not go overly yellow or green, because the XM-L2 often goes 3-4 to the left and 1 up on the chart.

I am curious what other thinks of the hue and if i am on the right track, tint spotting is fun :slight_smile:

2mm thick Sinkpad board, right? That would be perfect for the extra-deep cutout, since the stock board is 1mm and the shim is also 1mm.

So none of your emitters have the purple-red pattern showing when they’re focused?
Seems the 2 I got like that —- warmer and dimmer — were yet another variation or “use what have you” product of the moment.

Maybe they’re figuring it out.

Yes 2mm thick Sinkpad board.
With and without dome, they have the purple-red pattern like from your thread here

Mine has the same pinkish spots. Doesn’t bother me though I’m not chasing white walls.

I can confirm there is no shim underneath the MCPCB, but I did not take a picture of it.

Hmmm, sounds to me like the latest batch still has the pill drilled too deep, they just didn’t bother putting the packer in to get the focus right. So we are still not back to the original specs.

I hate the latest one. Mine started flickering after just a couple minutes, and I’m sure it is about to die like the last one.