Turn that light off of me! - Best value light for getting someone sitting in a parked car 500 meters away to say that?

I’ve never the HID at costco, but apparently there’s a new Stanley HID w/ lithiums.

For making a photo, a flash is maybe the best. But the flash tubes I know are fairly big and thus hard to focus.

But of done right, and aimed with infrared or a laser, would make for a real surprise for the target (hey, such a bright flash who is here… hmm no one, strange).

“Barn Burner is not short arc, it’s 70W HID in 5” reflector, is one of the better spotlights, but still, it’ll take about 20 barn burners together to touch Moon Blaster’s throw.
and the moon blaster is on sale for less than single BB.”

I stand corrected.

Aircraft Landing Lights ?
250W 12volt sealed beams
Used to be great long range driving lights.

I think my Thrunite TN 31 can handle 400 to 500m that distance ……

500m is really, really far away. Without binoculars you won’t be able to see that far with a light, since it creates a beam which pretty much covers everything once you get out to the 500m mark.

But here are some pics of cheap eBay/Aliexpress HIDs which work pretty well.

HID smashes TK70: Ebay/Aliexpress 65W HID vs Fenix TK70 (new 75W model available now)

HID smashes sipik: Got my first HID (beamshots added)

There was also another thread that I saw which had more shots but I can’t see to find it anymore…

This is true …… If I want to see what’s at the end of my TN31 you need binoculars ……… It is quite a distance specially in total darkness !

[quote=GottaZoom]

Wow I would like to see some of those shots taken not from the point of throw, but closer to the target.

[quote=GottaZoom]

Close-up view: of a millitary fort, 1 mile away across the ocean:

More from my CPF superlight shoot out:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?330370-Superlights-shoot-out-The-ShortArcs

[quote=GottaZoom]

I live just about in the corner of 4 counties . . if I had that I image one of them would try to make it illegal to shine across their border. 1/4 mile keeps it my county. :slight_smile:

[quote=GottaZoom]

With some IR film & IR viewing, you could spy on them w/o notice & become national hero :slight_smile:

ma_sha1 - I was looking at your DIY build on your light last week. Thats one hell of a light you made.

Some of the beam shots are as good or better than the handhelds above.

Can you post a pic of the MaxaBeam and the custom short arc?

!!

All together a different class but the effect is similar. And not a comparison by any means. I have one
pic provided by the builder

I understand what you are trying to convey but I don’t think that’s appropriate use of language.

xrd888: “I understand what you are trying to convey but I don’t think that’s appropriate use of language.”

Normally, I’m the first one to lay into someone trying to control others speech (speech police, 1st Amendment Rights, etc) BUT in this case, I sorta have to agree. MANY other words could/should have been used AND would have been more descriptive. How do you “rape” a flashlight? I’m a big boy. I’ve heard the word before and I’m not offended. I just think it’s dumb. Just saying. :slight_smile:

Awwww Sh… Coffee on my shirt!

I didnt catch that one until i saw the well deserved verbal “smack”

Sure,

MaxaBeam:

Moon Blaster:

MaxBeam is not the ultimate handheld search light by any means, as the ability to reach does not equal to the ability to see!

Moon Blaster - I had to look that one up again. That’s one impressive light!

Looks to me that a lot of these photos here are in auto exposure for I can’t tell since the info is not embedded. On manual exposure on a 1 sec shutter speed, you won’t get that laserbeam effect all the way to the target. That’s not what you will see in person.

Heck I can do the same thing on the Dereelight I had and make it look like laser as well in auto exposure. But that isn’t what you will see in person.

Kind of like the halogen spotlight in auto exposure. I can make it appear brighter than what it is.

That is pure AWESOME. What a high value light . . I’m surprised it is not already gone. Unfortunately, it’s not in my future no matter how much trouble fun I’d like to have.

It’s almost depressing how far behind so many of the other lights are in comparison on the CPF table/reference you gave. That light should not be a shelf queen and should go to a group of flashaholics who can appreciate it together!

Thanks for the kind words! It is true when you are too far ahead, you’ll lose a lot of people because it’s in a territory
that’s kind of detached from reality & practicality. No one really need a hand-held helicopter searchlight, lol, it becomes a toy.

Which just means that I am too too deep into the disease of flasholics, I need to go to a rehab :slight_smile:

That is crazy. I was not aware that people had such stuff! Amazing beam shots there!