Turn that light off of me! - Best value light for getting someone sitting in a parked car 500 meters away to say that?

The laser isn’t going to be any more dangerous if the amount of illumination that falls on the target per unit area is the same. You can purchase lasers with built-in focusing (ie defocusing) lens, and they probably mount much easier to binoculars than a spotlight.

edit: I’m not entirely correct. It’s more dangerous in case that potential eyes/lens on the receiving end focus the light from the source. Laser are much bright erpoint source.

I have the moon blaster short arc for sale, you can ID a criminal from a mile away easily :). Moon blaster is very lite & portable, runs on 110V AC.

Sold/Expired - Final Price drop: The Moon Blaster Short Arc 16 million cps | Candle Power Flashlight Forum

Here is shoot out at CPF get together PF-18:
Left: Moon blaster & Mega Blaster hitting top of black hole, 0.5 mile target.

Right: BVH 84W HID in 9” Blitz 240 host hitting the bottom of black hole, 100 yards away

Middle, the sure fire hell fighter, struggling to hit the bottom of black hole.

Barn Burner is not short arc, it’s 70W HID in 5” reflector, is one of the better spotlights, but still, it’ll take about 20 barn burners together to touch Moon Blaster’s throw.
and the moon blaster is on sale for less than single BB.

Beam shots & Impressions are one of the most mis-leading things from the flashlight hobby, too see the facts, check out spotlight lux database (Barn Burner readings are in there too, along with many HIDs & short arcs)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?311939-Consolidated-Short-Arc-amp-HID-spotlight-Lux-readings

Those jumbo 130W halogen “15 million cp” spot lights & clones does about 400K lux, TK 70 110K lux, If budget is the issues, size is not, I’d suggest bone stock Blitz 240, which does about 1 millinon CPs.

This? or a CPF thread? Searchlight promotions in Vancouver BC, Search Lights Lower Mainland, searchlights Vancouver

Why do you need to shine it on a parked car 500meters away? At night…

And how would you hear anyone say “get that light off me” if you are 500meteres away?

Now that is some serious stuff . . had a long pause when I saw the $ off in the subject heading . . loved (and identified with) this comment:

“if i give you my house number can you convince my wife to let me get it? LOL”

Wow I would like to see some of those shots taken not from the point of throw, but closer to the target.

I live just about in the corner of 4 counties . . if I had that I image one of them would try to make it illegal to shine across their border. 1/4 mile keeps it my county. :slight_smile:

Never had a Drunk & Disorderly problem out in the boonies? There is virtually no patrol of this off-road area at night.

Loud voices carry pretty far on a warm night around here. Still, it’s an example . . I’d hope they are talking to themselves and moving along . .

Go for MaSha’s creation :wink:

If you can’t afford that then the StanleyHID is 35 watt for less than a $100 it’ll light up the entire car on the far side of an arena lengthwise, with enough light to say wtf

Think there is a Costco HID. Maybe the same as TI Mega Illuminator for less.

I’ve never the HID at costco, but apparently there’s a new Stanley HID w/ lithiums.

For making a photo, a flash is maybe the best. But the flash tubes I know are fairly big and thus hard to focus.

But of done right, and aimed with infrared or a laser, would make for a real surprise for the target (hey, such a bright flash who is here… hmm no one, strange).

“Barn Burner is not short arc, it’s 70W HID in 5” reflector, is one of the better spotlights, but still, it’ll take about 20 barn burners together to touch Moon Blaster’s throw.
and the moon blaster is on sale for less than single BB.”

I stand corrected.

Aircraft Landing Lights ?
250W 12volt sealed beams
Used to be great long range driving lights.

I think my Thrunite TN 31 can handle 400 to 500m that distance ……

500m is really, really far away. Without binoculars you won’t be able to see that far with a light, since it creates a beam which pretty much covers everything once you get out to the 500m mark.

But here are some pics of cheap eBay/Aliexpress HIDs which work pretty well.

HID smashes TK70: Ebay/Aliexpress 65W HID vs Fenix TK70 (new 75W model available now)

HID smashes sipik: Got my first HID (beamshots added)

There was also another thread that I saw which had more shots but I can’t see to find it anymore…

This is true …… If I want to see what’s at the end of my TN31 you need binoculars ……… It is quite a distance specially in total darkness !

[quote=GottaZoom]

Wow I would like to see some of those shots taken not from the point of throw, but closer to the target.

[quote=GottaZoom]

Close-up view: of a millitary fort, 1 mile away across the ocean:

More from my CPF superlight shoot out:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?330370-Superlights-shoot-out-The-ShortArcs

[quote=GottaZoom]

I live just about in the corner of 4 counties . . if I had that I image one of them would try to make it illegal to shine across their border. 1/4 mile keeps it my county. :slight_smile:

[quote=GottaZoom]

With some IR film & IR viewing, you could spy on them w/o notice & become national hero :slight_smile:

ma_sha1 - I was looking at your DIY build on your light last week. Thats one hell of a light you made.

Some of the beam shots are as good or better than the handhelds above.

Can you post a pic of the MaxaBeam and the custom short arc?

!!

All together a different class but the effect is similar. And not a comparison by any means. I have one
pic provided by the builder

I understand what you are trying to convey but I don’t think that’s appropriate use of language.

xrd888: “I understand what you are trying to convey but I don’t think that’s appropriate use of language.”

Normally, I’m the first one to lay into someone trying to control others speech (speech police, 1st Amendment Rights, etc) BUT in this case, I sorta have to agree. MANY other words could/should have been used AND would have been more descriptive. How do you “rape” a flashlight? I’m a big boy. I’ve heard the word before and I’m not offended. I just think it’s dumb. Just saying. :slight_smile: