UF-V6 - 2x18650 Beefy Host (Possible Good MT-G2 Host?)

That's what I see ImA. More threads = more trouble getting the heat away (though it may not be that bad if the threads fit good and tight and you use thermal compound on those threads.

-Garry

Good point, but that reflector may spread the heat faster if it makes good contact both ends of the head.

This reminds me of Trustfire ST-50 . Its stock driver can pump 4.7A (according to FT) of current to the LED so I think a simple swapping of the LED will give you a hell of a thrower, but not sure about MT-G2.

However I am not sure if it’s still good to make order with Fasttech anymore though. :frowning:

!!

One blew up on me last night while playing with it in the wood’s started smoking and quickly unscrewed the head and dumped everything out.

So here is one light I have no choice but to use as a host.

Does anyone have a recommendation on where the best place to buy a good driver and XM-L2 LED would be? Is Ebay a viable option?

Ouchyfoot,

I hope your’s works out better than mine as you can see above one of mine fried already.

Do you own any or have any flashlight’s like the STL-V6?,this will determine wether you like this light or not if your’s happen’s to behave like mine did.

If I had never owned or experienced a Small Sun ZY-T13 or STL-V2/V6 I would have been very happy with this light.

Best to stay away from Ebay unless it's a proven seller. In the US see BLF user RMM's store Mountain Electronics (his sales thread here). You could also try ShiningBeam or IlluminationSupply. (I.S. is active on BLF too)

And for help picking your LED tints see this chart of tints.

There is also a BLF thread around here called LED Database or something with links, prices, etc. . . EDIT - Here is that thread.

-Garry

Tarpon, what are the dimensions of the driver compartment (Diameter and Depth)?

Emitter star- Looks like it's only a 16mm.

-Garry

Yes, that’s the main thing. What’s the diameter of the stock driver board, and how deep is the pill. We can probably help you turn this light into a monster.

!!

Hey Guy’s,

Thankyou so much for all the help this nightmare is looking like it will turn out great .

My dad just came over and I gave him the working UF-V6 and he was tickeled to death with it as he has never seen anything brighter than an old 3D Maglite :slight_smile:

I admit I am a moron with measurment’s so I took a photo of the driver/pill next to a drop-in that came out of an Ultrafire 501b when I swapped in an XM-L2 with it.

Thankyou so much fella’s this all look’s like it will work itself out.

I think with this light I have to concentrate on a thrower only has the spill from this light is much smaller than most light’s I have seen but with the right driver/led I bet this sucker will throw.

Hmm, driver looks bigger than 20mm. Maybe 22mm? 25 or 26mm?

-Garry

Here ya go. I threw that pic into CAD and scaled it so the P60 driver measured 17.0mm and then measured the UF-V6's diameter. It's not exact as the photo will have distortion and the angle isn't straight on.

-Garry

Garry,

You are awesome my friend.

I am so sorry I have you guy’s trying to help someone who can’t measure these thing’s properly.

If you need anymore photo’s I’d be glad to post them.

Looks like a 5A driver will fit in there.

I just noticed in the pill there is an adapter ring that can pop out making the hole larger.

Any of these driver’s look good? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Constant-Current-LED-Circuit-Driver-Board-3-Modes-5-2-12V-5A-/221195469886?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item338047043e&vxp=mtr

Yeah, that’s the one I was thinking of. It’s a good driver.

Thankyou OuchyFoot so much for the help.

Does that price look right to you? it was recommended to stay away from ebay but I can’t find that exact driver anywhere else.

I’m pretty set on a cool white tint XM-L2 LED 16 MM as that’s what the pill accept’s but again ebay prices are so much better I am contacting lightcastle.com right now to see if they can get those part’s as I trust them plus get discount’s from them to.

That’s LCK-LEDs eBay store. Lots of us have been using that driver. Here is the link for their On-Line Store . It says three modes, but some of us have been getting five mode versions instead. How many millimeters deep is the pill?

It’s 19.0500mm deep.

Thankyou so much for your time.

Today I got around to modding my Yupard flashlight, which is indeed the same one as tarpon31s light. (On sale for the next 15hrs)
A well built solid host. I didn’t go over it with a jewelers loop, but I noticed no flaws. A real nice host.

I can’t remember exactly, but I think the stock driver was putting out 1.6-1.8A at the emitter. An easy mod. I replaced the driver with a LCK 5A driver , hooked up to an XM-L2 U2 1A on a 16mm Noctigon.
I’m getting 2.56A at the tail with 2 x 18650, so it’s easily putting out 5A at the emitter.
All the springs have been copper braided, and I swapped the stock cover disc over the emitter for one of the wing type centering discs.
No need to worry about heat. The pill threads deeply into the reflector, and the reflector threads deeply into the head. The reflector also makes good contact with the head up near the bezel. …and tons of cooling fins.
The hot spot is well defined and intense. I need to wait til tonight to test it outside.