Ultimate Budget Thrower

All those runtime figures are nuts. Personally I think it is impossible to drive an R2 so hard that multiple cells will only last the various times that they listed. Think about it. Even an XM-L drawing over 2.2A will still take over an hour to discharge 1*18650. And there is no way SF are setting up the MPP1's XR-E R2 to draw anywhere over 1.5A even.

How couldn't I think of that.. Good idea. Thanks!

I'm planning to use it for landscape light painting, so it's not about eyesight but my camera's capabilities.. :)

Actually I have been quite happy with the pencil-like beam of my KD RQ & HS-802, but my inner perfectionist always wants something better (more throw, narrower beam).

I've looked at the work in your gallery. Very nice...

Yep, cameras can always see far better than we do. I just wish I could take photo's even half as good as yours, I'd be very happy with them.

Thanks for the compliment! :)

So should I try MPP1 or not? Is it so much better than HS-802 or KD RQ? (Hmm, asking a question like this with so many flashaholics around. What am I thinking?)

I have both the MPP-1 and Fandyfire STL-V6. At a distance of say 300m, the MPP-1 just illuminates a very very slightly brighter spot than the STL-V6, but the STL-V6 spot is quite a bit bigger (useful). The STL-V6 has 2 groups mode modes, and H-M-L. It is also current regulated so maintains constant brightness throughout its burn time, can do 2 x 18650, 2 x 18500 and 2 x 18350 (with C8/U80/Dereelight DBS tubes). I just measured 50k candelas at a measurement distance of 50m.

I'd say the STL-V6 XM-L is far more useful. Besides if you are not a Solarforce fan, the $43 + $2 shipping MPP-1 package with L2i will look fugly.

Haha.. I have the FF STL-V6 coming in.. (should have it already, but received V2 instead, remember?)

Still wondering if the pencil-like beam of MPP1 would be a nice addition to my toolbox. :)

Has anyone used an XM-L dropin in the MPP1? or is it possible? hows the throw?

Just a note about battery performance. To get a XML to light up the same in surface brightness, you need 4 times the power (and 1/4 battery life). A xml "thrower" will light up a bigger spot, but how useful that is depends on the usage.

Of course if you use the proper 3*AAA's with the L2i that comes w/ the cheaper MPP kit, battery life will be atrocious.

I went with the Stl-v6. :)

I think both these statements are correct.

To obtain an equivalent focusing efficiency *) the reflector width should be proportional to the die size. When this is achieved, the hotsopt brightness will still be proportional to LED surface emissivity, i.e. from an XM-L it will be lower than from an XR-E.

*) hotspot diameter proportional to die size, same percent of light lost to spill

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

With XML's, you essentially need 4 times the reflector size to focus the die down to same hotspot size. This is really apparent w/ the X9, whose huge head makes a hotspot still larger than a p60 drop in.

However, since the XML can be driver almost 4 times harder, it'll make that hotspot proportionately brighter through sheer power.

agenthex,

Have you received your X9, and if so, how does it compare to the STL-V6?

I was expecting my X9 today, but Customs seem to work slower than usual in this vacations period.

The question that _the_ asked still remains unanswered. That was, "So should I try MPP1 or not? Is it so much better than HS-802 or KD RQ?"

Given that he wants to use it as effectively a brush to paint landscrapes photographically, we are really talking here in terms of a fine tip brush. And the FF STL-V6, or any XM-L, is never going to be a fine tip brush; too big a horspot and too much spill.

So folks, how much better as a fine beam (i.e. pencil beam) thrower is the MPP1 that an HS-802 or KD RQ?

I got it a few days back and I just wrote a quite impression on the other threads. It's quite nice on the outside but slightly lacking driver. The tint is decent (not too cool, maybe 6000K, slightly yellow around corona). I only get <2A and drops quickly even on strong cells. Can't complain at all for what I paid for it, IMO better than any other ~30$ single-cell xml light. The blue ultrafires and charger I got with it were pretty crap though and I'd only recommend them as backups.

My V6 is still at the post office, and I'll go pick it up this saturday. Hopefully it's not a V2 as another user got from DX...

From what I've heard here, the X9 will have better exterior, and V6 better drive current. Will update when I have both in my hands.

You can approximate the answer w/ relative size ratios of the their reflectors. MPP has a pretty big head, but not THAT much bigger than the other two. 55mm vs 50mm vs 45mm or so (reflector size a bit smaller than heads)

at 50 yrds

Solarforce Skyline (1 x 18650)

Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1 (2 x 18650)

I'm always amazed how just the word thrower brings a crowd to any thread ...

The best thrower i have is the ultrafire mcu-c-88 3AA q5 light it's almost too much throw for me ..the thought of modding it with a neutral xpg is making much more sense to me .. Second best throwers are the 7$ woot 2 DD Q5 mag lite look alikes .I keep one by the front and back doors for varmit spotting and blunt trauma.(great thrower and overall light for the price)

My best thrower (most effective) at this moment is still the HS-802 driven at 1.4A from stock.

For my daughter, who didn't fancy the precautions that LiIons demand, I bought the C-88, but it's quite a bit behind. Not so bad if you want a wider than HS-802 hotspot, but then a large reflectored XM-L may do the job better.

If you really want a "pencil" (hotspot without spill), the best is a flashlight with an aspheric lens or a recoil LED flashlight.

If you want a versatil light source, flood for lightening 1st ground (foreground?) of a picture and pencil light to enlight only the shapes or some points = flood to throw ("zoom") flashlight with aspheric lens.

By "pencil" I mean as narrow beam as possible. Small amount of spill doesn't harm.

I have also one recoil thrower, but it has wider hotspot than HS-802.

From left to right: KD RQ, HS-802, Ultrafire WF-008

Battery in WF-008 might not be 100% charged, so please ignore the brightness. Image is here just for comparing the hotspot size.

This is the dereelight DBS aspheric and the Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1, XR-E with a head diameter of 5.6cm.

asd