Uniquefire UF-1405 - A worthy zoomy?

Thanks for the info cajampa, but the pill in this light is aluminum and it would seem that at high amperages (over 3A) the pill is going to get fully heat saturated and damage the LED for run times over 60 seconds. I want longer run times, so I’m looking to go no more than 3A which I feel would be safer for the LED. Its too bad no one makes copper pills for this light. :frowning:

The aluminium pill has excellent heat transfer and capacity and will be fine for any current the led runs at. The need for a copper pill is a BLF-myt, the gain in heatshedding is marginal in a single-led situation. You do want a DTP copper ledboard because that is what really matters, but since you order the led from IOS, it is probably on a Noctigon board so that is accounted for.

Yes, i agree 100% with djozz, you don’t to worry about that as long as you use a DTP mcpcb.
The 1405 is a massive chunk of metal :slight_smile: it will take 5A just fine without damaging the led, remember i said this driver is made for this combo :wink:

And if you want maximum kcd chose the XP-G2 S4 SB or the XM-L2 U4 1C on a noctigon from IOS & dedome them in some gas :slight_smile: If you don’t want to dedome your self you can get it from here

I agree with djozz. I’ve never been concerned about the 5A I send to an XP-G2 in a 1405. I’d get more concerned once you move into MT-G2 territory at 5A, after a couple of minutes being on that is.

how reliable is the new 17mm MTN-MAXlp driver? and what is a theoretical throw with this driver + a dedomed xp-g2 ?

Mtn-Max buck driver thread

Aliexpess

M048 Focal length 12mm Diameter 36.2mm Surface coating Aluminium

Hi

Would this make a good collar?

It has potential with a few caveats. I’m working on an order with them right now, so I sent an email asking if they have any models besides the ones listed on their website. If nothing else is better I’m going to pick up a couple and see if I can grind them to make a collar.

The diameter is too big, and focal length is too wonky for the 1405 pill BTW.

Has a 22mm mountain max driver on his supfire L3 and it’s great moonlight mode it does get some visable pwm but it runs 2,22650 in series @ amps and has a 90 second step down it never gets passed warm never ever hot and it really cranks out the amperage at 4+ amps to a xpl hi intensity emitter I like it more personally than the dd fet drivers

was looking at using in a modified A60 , will have to mill off a base ring inside the head to seat the collar. I use the flashlight for hunting, works well :smiley:

Just finished 2 builds with this light and thought i would post up the results measured at 28’ and converted to kcd.
xml-2 U4 + 5.1A mtn max driver: 380kcd
mtg2+ 17DD zener driver: 150kcd

Keep in mind my numbers always seem to be lower than everyone else seems to report on these aspherics. Also I had a couple of different lenses and tried them all with the same setup and found a 40kcd difference between the worst and best.

does your emitters handle the 5.1 amp driver?does it get hot?

i have the turbo timer set for 60s and it doesn’t get hot at all. i wish i could set it longer now.

At 5A you could probably get by with no turbo timer without fear of damage in a 1405. It takes a long time to get hot at 5A in my experience.

do you know if there is any way to turn it off on a mtn max driver with stock firmware ??

I suspect it would need to be flashed to update the firmware. You could probably order an MCU with the proper firmware for about $2 from Richard and just swap out.

Thanks, that’s what i thought, and the reason i usually get the guppy firmwarre in richards drivers, unfortunately there’s no LVP on this one if you go that route with this one

That’s no longer entirely true, the MTN-MAX drivers I just ordered with guppydrv firmware will have a 6v step-down.

Doooooooooohhhhhhh I just got mine last week ! This driver rules BTW

So I ordered the MTN-MAXlp driver, choosing the 5.1AMP version along with an XP-L V6 3D LED on Noctigon 16mm MCPCB and a XM-L2 T6 4C LED on Noctigon 16mm MCPCB for experimentation. In stock form the copy of the UF-1405 that I got from GearBest can light up a freeway at a distance of about 700 feet from above, and that’s at a tail cap rated .74ma. At 5100ma this should be a friggin white laser! Maybe on a clear night I can blast a beam across the Columbia Gorge outside Portland, Oregon. My favorite place to test lights is at the Vista House.