Uniquefire UF-1405 - A worthy zoomy?

A couple of things.

I assume that the windmill was white, or close to it. I assume you were just able to make out that it existed at that distance, but you weren’t seeing much detail.

I assume these things because at 3.3A to a dedomed XP-G2 S4 2B a 1504 is under 500kcd. At 500kcd (generous, more like 400-430kcd) the 1504 would have a rated throw of 1414m. I know that I have been able to “see” things at distances 30-40% greater than the calculated distance in optimum conditions, but that it’s a loose term. You can see that the object is being illuminated but almost all details are invisible to the naked eye. I suspect you’re in this category, and not that you have some super secret modifications that boost your output to over 640kcd,which is roughly 1600m of throw at .25 lux.

Going to a 1405 with a buck driver at 5.5A to a dedomed XP-G2 S4 2B will gain you about 100kcd over a 3.3A 1504.

The highest output 1405 I’ve made makes 675kcd, but the one I use the most runs about 640kcd. Getting to these levels takes more than a driver and LED swap.

For someone wanting a high output 1504/1405 and willing to go up on lens size, talk to MEM about printing a bezel to hold larger lenses. He’s already made a few.

Another factor which can make him see the windmill could be that the windmill is really big.

By the way…

The 1405 can achieve 675kcd nowadays?!

MEM is printing a bezel to hold larger lens?!

And since when BLF has a new forum interface like this?!

Oh boy, I didn’t come to BLF for quite some time already and now all these modding madness has came to a different level… LOL!

Sorry, I can’t find the pics. Didn’t someone in this thread put an MT-G2 in a 1405? I’m seriously considering this mod. Any ideas/ suggestions?

I can’t find that thread either… I definitely remember someone posting beamshots of an excellent aspheric output from an MT-G2.

My brain is saying it was nickzom maybe? Or LSX? I think it may have been a sales thread

I have. I didn’t take beamshots before I sent it out though.

1405 with MT-G2 thread I made

Can I buy a separate pill for the 1405?

You are partially right.

Yes the windmill is white and yes i know it is there.

The fact remains that without me shining on it i can not see anything, not even the wings turning
When i shine on it i can clearly see the wings moving.

ofcourse it is stretching the limits of what is visible and what is not.
another windmill is at 1335 meters and that one lights up a lot more

if only that damned XP-G2 would have a lower Vf i could even push it more.

i guess if Cree does not develop a new led i reached the limits.

The LD2 driver is very nice and helps a lot.
I know that i can direct drive the led and do not need a driver at al but connecting a XP-G2 led directly to a 50 amp battery scares the hell out of me.

Yes,

http://www.gearbest.com/diy-parts-and-tools/pp_194381.html

the original however is a bit thicker

original 27 grams
gearbest pill 20 grams.

should not make a big difference as long as the pill is able to transfer the heat to the tube

The 1504 is the same only with a tube which can hold 1 battery
I am using a thick rod of copper which act as a 26650 spacer.
who knows if they start making 7 volt leds with extremely high output and very low square surface then i am good to go with the 1405.
Also the 1405 seems to have a better visual ratio(eg it looks like a flashlight)

Thanks Gravity! :slight_smile: ( I’m embarrassed, hank posted a link previously, thanks to hank too.)

Does anyone know what is the max driver height that will fit in the UF-1405? I want to try to fit the 17mm MTN-MAXlp HP into this light with a XHP35 HI. There is two option for the inductor type (standard or Coilcraft) and I wasn’t sure which one fits.

I measured at one point but I can’t remember, but my 1405 has one of those drivers in it now (the coilcraft one). Fit with tons of space (that I filled with thermal putty). The spring they come with seems a bit shorter than the massive stock one so two protected batteries fit, just, about the only light these batteries fit in.

Perfect, I will try the coilcraft one. I will try to fit those thermal cubes in it since that is all I have lol.

I plan to use 4x 26350 battery in it, so hearing 2 protected batteries fit is good news. Thanks!

Well I think I either blew the driver or the LED in my 1405, so i ordered another driver, XP-L HI V2 3A and a XP-G2 S3 3D. Anyone know how the XP-G3 S5 3A would work out on this light? BTW, the driver I’m using is the MTN-MAXlp HP at 5.1 amp.

The XPG3 will not be as bright as the XPL HI. In an eagle eye X6, the XPG3 direct drive (~7A) got 58kcd. The XPL HI at ~5.5A got 71kcd.

A sliced XP-G3 might be pretty good, considering dedoming them is complicated….

Slicing or dedoming does not increase the throw for the XPG3 as much as other LEDs.

Sliced, it is probably close in throw to the XPL HI, but at a larger current.

I figured it would be in the same area as the XP-L HI but forgot about the higher power use, so yeah XP-L HI is probably the way to go.

Well after a while of playing around with this light, the switch blew out. Anyone know a place in the US that has a replacement switch? I was looking at DX.com us warehouse and I saw this. http://www.dx.com/p/replacement-mode-clicky-switch-for-501b-l8-flashlight-black-silver-219024#.WZDslVVlD-A
Is this compatible?